Kudos To All You Buttercream Decorators!!!

Decorating By brea1026 Updated 18 Aug 2007 , 5:32pm by brea1026

brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 3:22am
post #1 of 24

To all of you who decorate with buttercream- MY hats off to you!!!

A few days ago my MIL asked if I would make a going away cake for a man at her work, but.... NO FONDANT!!! My first thought was "AHHH- what they make cakes without fondant???" , then I thought "Hmmm, I wonder if I could talk her into cupcakes..." Finally I dug deep and said "Yes, I can do this!" (Deep Breath)

...So we ended up compromising on an 11 x 15"sheet cake and 40 cupcakes. Apparently the guy leaving is a Nascar fan and so someone though flags would be cool, and his last name if Rose, hence the rose on the man cake.

Now, granted I have made little buttercream cakes before, but never big, and I never ended up liking them very much. So I was really nervous about this one. I think in the end it turned out okay. I don't know if it is exactly what she was picturing, but it was the best I could do.

So again, all of you who decorate with bc on a regular basis- I am so impressed!!!

Take Care, Happy baking!!!
LL

23 replies
blmiller84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blmiller84 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 3:32am
post #2 of 24

I mainly only decorate with butter cream frosting. I'm still a newbie with cake decorating, but the few cakes I've done with fondant I haven't been impressed with.
So I take my hat off to you for doing such lovely cakes with fondant! Maybe some day I'll get the hang of that icon_biggrin.gif For now I'll stick to fondant accents

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 3:35am
post #3 of 24

And l;ook what you created! Beautiful!

brea1026 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 3:36am
post #4 of 24

Thanks! Don't give up on fondant! The first 2 times I made MMF were TOTAL DISASTERS!!! Really, they were so horrible I threw them away!

mbarbi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbarbi Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:11am
post #5 of 24

very nice!

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 11:05am
post #6 of 24

I love that border! What a neat effect.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 11:24am
post #7 of 24

Very nice cake. You did good. I know they are going to love the cake...it is special and didn't require a lot of extra ingredients and equipment from you. Please tell me you are a convert to the, "buttercream" decorators. It is so fun to work with and so easy and fast. Someday I am going to experiment with some fondant/gumpaste figures...but for now, I love my buttercream and sheet cakes.
Congratulations on a job well done.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 11:25am
post #8 of 24

GREAT cake....... PERFECT for the NASCAR fan ! GOOD JOB !

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 11:34am
post #9 of 24

grewat cake!!! I echo your appreciation of buttercream pros too!!

foots2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foots2 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 11:40am
post #10 of 24

I too prefer to work with fondant. There are just some things I cannot do with buttercream and any tip.The ruffle being one!!I hate Ruffles!Id love to be able to just WHIP OUT a nice buttercream cake with great ruffles,stringwork and multiple flowers but for some reason Im not good with buttercream.Some of my BC cakes are OK but Id like to step up.For now its fondant. Your cake looks great and I really like the border. Maybe Ill use your design for my hubbys cake.(if you dont mind) Good job.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 1:15pm
post #11 of 24

Can't believe that is your first buttercream cake - its terrific!

I just read and responded to a post a few minutes ago where a decorator is saying the same thing about fondant decorators ( http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-460193-.html ) -

Amazing how we find something so easy after we 'master' it - I'm always throwing out my 'kudos' to you fondant masters!

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 1:20pm
post #12 of 24

I love buttercream... there is a limit to what you can do but there is a LOT as well... I feel as though fondant could be done by preschoolers (since that's pretty much what it is... edible playdoh) I think a true decorator should have to master buttercream decorating as well. I think you did a great job on that cake, it looks excellent!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 1:20pm
post #13 of 24

I'm a BC only decorator and I'm here to tell you your cake looks great!! Nice and smooth, great looking rose and love the edging! thumbs_up.gif

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 5:09pm
post #14 of 24

I don't know about fondant being easy like playdough.... icon_wink.gif
I've got 5 kids (all ages 7 and under) and we LOVE playdough. But, sitting down creating crazy playdough creations doesn't compare with the skills I need to complete my 7 tier fondant covered Wedding Cake for this weekend. Just my opinion...not meaning to offend.

BTW, the nascar cake looks amazing! It's fun to change up our "mediums" and try something new...Congratulations!

P.s. Nothing beats sitting down playing playdough with my kiddies! icon_lol.gif

lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 5:31pm
post #15 of 24

you did a great job, when I tried using buttercream it went all wrong. Good for you thumbs_up.gif

Shyanne_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shyanne_Mommy Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 6:11pm
post #16 of 24

Okay I can do Fondant but I am not good when it comes to putting Fondant on round cakes...of course I have not had much practice, But BC is my choice at this time.... I think you did a great job....No Complaints here!

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 12:46am
post #17 of 24

Ooooo, I love buttercream. Not a thing against fondant, I know it takes skill to do these amazing fondant creations I see on here. But I was always into some kind of art growing up, sculpting, painting, drawing, etc. so buttercream is a little more of a challenge for me. Getting the pressure control right, the angle of the tip, etc., a whole new set of skills for me o learn! To create the image I have in my mind and get it just right with frosting feels pretty good! I say kudos to both-fondant and buttercream artists-I'm in awe of both!!

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 4:27am
post #18 of 24

I'm working out the wording to put on my website... "I specialize in using fondant therefor this is one bakery that a top coat of white or chocolate fondant is going to be significantly less for price quotes than smooth buttercream will be".. But I haven't gotten it completely figured out yet.

I did a smooth buttercream wedding cake earlier this summer and I honestly HATED it. I am a perfectionist on my cakes and getting there to be no seams, um, yea, I was smoothing the cakes to perfect for FOUR HOURS. Had I been able to just top coat the buttercream with fondant, I'd have been done in 1. Then... as if to add insult to injury when I finally decided my starting for smooth buttercream is going to be $3.50/slice, a bride I had book decided she wants no fondant, and it was a bear to tell her that "you WILL have fondant separating the tiers of cake so they don't stick to the lower tier..".. I hear more complaints about white chocolate and coconut than I ever do about fondant, so I'm going with the fondant.

Cynda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynda Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 4:40am
post #19 of 24

that came out so pretty, love the borders.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 4:51am
post #20 of 24

This is SPOOKY!! I was JUST thinking about this very thing!!

I've worked in buttercream for years and years. It's become really easy because I have so much experience. It wasn't always that way!!

The first time I used fondant it came out nearly perfect. I was so intimidated by it and when I finally took the plunge I was hooked! It is a much (IMO) easier medium to work with. I can remember working so hard at the buttercream to get it smooth. Taking hours to work out decorations that I can make in minutes with fondant.

I'll never lose my love for buttercream, first of all it's delicious and secondly, it's a classic look that I really love. But fondant is so enjoyable! It's like play for me...maybe it should be called FUNdant!!

I wish I could magically wave an off-set spatula like the good fairy over all of you that suffer with the buttercream and make it easier! I think the one big tip I could give is NEVER skimp on the buttercream. When you ice the cake put at least twice the amount of buttercream the cake needs in a big BLOB on top of the cake. Then ice the icing..NOT the cake. During the course of spreading it out, you'll remove a good amount of it. Learn to spread and work quickly, work too slowly and the icing will crust before you've got it smooth.

The biggest messes come from working and reworking the buttercream. The crusting can be a good thing, or a nightmare, depending on what stage of the decorating you're in. Once it starts to crust, it's nearly impossible to smooth out any major issues.

HTH

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 4:56am
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'm a BC only decorator and I'm here to tell you your cake looks great!! Nice and smooth, great looking rose and love the edging! thumbs_up.gif

Ditto! Great Job!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:00am
post #22 of 24

You did a great job on the cake thumbs_up.gif I love working with BC (since '91)and enjoy the diversity in using different tips for different designs. I've recently becan crossing into fondant and find it easier as a surface to work with (easier to smooth out) but challenging with everything else.

I can whip up BC roses in nothing flat! But fondant roses? whew I have to take my time, hang upside down to set, etc icon_confused.gif . What a job. Those of you who've mastered fondant and gum paste-- I applaude you!
icon_biggrin.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:07am
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by brea1026

Now, granted I have made little buttercream cakes before, but never big, and I never ended up liking them very much. So I was really nervous about this one. I think in the end it turned out okay. I don't know if it is exactly what she was picturing, but it was the best I could do.

..got interupted before I finished my thoughts. Your cake is awesome, I can imagine if someone tied my hands on the thing I was most comfortable with. Your cake looks so smooth and the border is genius! For so long it was all about shell borders or variations there of. I'm glad you have that behind you and more confidence in your BC skills!

brea1026 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 5:32pm
post #24 of 24

Thank you all so much! I truely appreciate all the encouragement!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%