Question About 11X15X2 Cakes

Decorating By Thalia Updated 13 Jul 2005 , 4:44pm by Thalia

Thalia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thalia Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 7

This is potentially a dumb question, but I'd rather be safe than sorryicon_smile.gif When making a regular round 8" cake, you can take two layers and put in filling and lay them right on top of one another. I was planning to do the same with two 11x15x2 sheet cakes and put a bc/strawberry filling in between. When doing some reading here, I started wondering if that is a good idea, or if that size cake should always have support i.e. dowels and a cake board between them?

I'd prefer to not have the cake board between as one cake is chocolate and the other white and thought people could then get a taste of both when cutting.

If I can just lay them on top of one another, does anyone have suggestions on the best way to get the top layer off the cake board onto the bottom layer? The only answer I came up with was "very carefully"icon_smile.gif

Thanks everyone!

Thalia
Colorado

6 replies
GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 7

You're right very, very carefully icon_smile.gif I think it would be fine without cake board or dowels. The only thing I would suggest is a strong strong cake board, like plywood. And also, to get the 1 cake on top of the other, you could freeze it to stiffen it up a little and make it easier to transfer. Just an idea.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 7

No problem..I stack my 11 x 15" (with a filling) on top of each other all the time, never had a problem. I just use double cake boards underneath (nothing in between) , and that's it! thumbs_up.gif

CakesbyKimmie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyKimmie Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 1:51am
post #4 of 7

I have made that size cake before without a problem.
Just becareful not to overfill and you may want to use two cake boards glued or wrapped together if the cake is too heavy.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 1:59am
post #5 of 7

I agree with GinaJuarez, freezing the cakes would help you out a lot .. It would make the cake a bit harder and less likely to crack or break.. and as the others stated, have very strong support under your cake .. if using a crusting buttercream, it will crack the icing when you lift to move it if it doesn't have a good cakeboard icon_smile.gif Good luck with it!

Bubbles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbles Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 1:53pm
post #6 of 7

I always make my sheet cakes 2 layers. I think it gives it something more than buying a sheet cake in the store. I have never had a problem with it. Just make sure you do like the others said and double board it. It definatly makes it heavier, but people like the filling whether it is buttercream or some sort of fruit filling.

Thalia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thalia Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks all! I did freeze (not totally, but enough) the top layer which made it very wasy to move. Thanks for the reminder of the bottom board. It was a heavy cake..but turned out well. Used BC and fondant. Put pic in Retirement pics as it was for a party for someone leaving our company.

Thaliaicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%