Bra Cake

Decorating By librarian Updated 13 Oct 2006 , 8:26pm by Elfie

librarian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
librarian Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 11

I'm planning to make a cake for a friend's 40th birthday party. I'm copying the idea from some cakes posted this site. I want the cake to have a bra on it and say "Joanne is 40, give her some support". I am pretty new to decorating, so I'm not sure how to do this. Should I just mold fondant on something round?Or will it crack as it dries? I could get an edible image of a bra. If I make the cups higher than the cake will the edible image be ruined?
Thanks, I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

10 replies
Chefgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefgirl Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 11

Hey, I am actually working on one for tomorrow! I made my bra cups from gumpaste and put them on small bowls turned upside down (dusted w/cornstarch first) to dry. I found some great stainless bowls at Ikea that have really rounded bottoms and they work great for molding round things. I've also heard people use the wonder mold by Wilton, I think. I don't have one of those, though. I just put some lace appliques on last night around the tops of the cups, also in gumpaste. I'm going to make the straps from fondant, I think, or half fondant and half gumpaste. So I can't show you my final outcome, but it is working so far! I'm still a littler nervouse, though! Here's a website that has several to look at with and without lace: http://www.thecakecorner.com/red_album_008.htm. I'm going to paint mine with luster dust.
I have just looked at pictures and made it up as I went along. There were some forum posts on this that I also looked at. Hopefully someone else has more info for you!

Chefgirl Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 11

Okay, I just tried the link myself and it didn't work. Go to the homepage: http://www.thecakecorner.com/, click on gallery, then novelty.

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 11

IMHO Fondant is the way to go. You can actually use cupcakes or mini wondermold pan and make some "boobs" for the bra that will sit directly on the top of the cake. I know there have been some bra patterns posted that you might be able to search for. Good luck and post pics!

librarian Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks Chefgirl. I have never used gumpaste. Do you think it would be OK to use all fondant for the cups? I will be watching to see a picture of your completed cake. It sounds lovely.

Chefgirl Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 11

I wasn't sure if fondant would work or not so I went with gumpaste. I know it dries quickly and very hard. Next time, maybe I'll try mmf.

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 11

Fondant will work just fine. It dries softer then gumpaste so it will be much easier to cut through the cake. Gumpaste dries REALLY hard.

Chefgirl Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 11

We'll see! I'm so nervous! It's a gift box, never done one, with a gumpaste bow, never made one, with bra and panties, never done those either! Gumpaste is more elastic than fondant. You can roll it really thin and it dries pretty fast. I haven't worked with it much, though. I did use it to make tissue paper for my gift box. It took a few tries to get the hang of it.
Good luck, I hope your bra turns out great!

Chefgirl Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 4:55pm
post #9 of 11

Elfie, I love the bow on your present cake, it looks so good! Is that fondant or gumpaste?

librarian Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 5:05pm
post #10 of 11

thanks for your advice

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 8:26pm
post #11 of 11

Chefgirl-
Thanks for the compliment. The bow is fondant and was pretty easy to work with. I had fun making that cake. My problem is I have all these cakes I want to make and no one to make them for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%