Icing On Fondant

Decorating By M1resnick Updated 15 Aug 2007 , 4:59am by melysa

M1resnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
M1resnick Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 6

icon_cry.gif

I am wondering if any of you great folks out there have any suggestions for getting icing off of fondant.

I was apparently sloppy and got some chocolate icing on a lighter fondant.

I tried using a wet paper towel to get it off (it didn't just wipe off easily), and of course, the fondant wanted to get gummy so I stopped.

I'm wondering if I'm the only messy person this has happened to and not figured out how to fix the problem.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 12:04am
post #2 of 6

Hmmm... I don't know the answer to that, but would love to find out too...

Here's a bump!!!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 12:05am
post #3 of 6

try using vodka on a paintbrush to wipe it away, then a light dusting of cornstarch. it should help a little. if you dont have vodka, try an extract HIGH in alcohol (lemon, orange or mint). it evaporates faster than water. if the fondant is still wet from the water you used on it, dab it carefully with a dry white paper towel, dust with cornstarch and then wait for it to dry. THEN try the vodka or extract. let us know how it goes.

i got ganache on white fondant today and totally forgot about this. though it was only a practice cake for my familys dessert so i didnt really care too much that i smudged it so i left it alone. its not a great idea to use chocolate under white fondant because as you lift and fluff the fondant while smoothing, you're bound to stick your fingers onto the chocolate and transfer it to the fondant.

M1resnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
M1resnick Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 12:34am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a try.

Let's see, was that drink vodka, dip paint brush and wipe cake, drink more vodka...

icon_lol.gif

mymomandmecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymomandmecakes Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 1:09am
post #5 of 6

I can't keep the frosting out of my mouth let alone the vodka.....haha..this might turn into a bigger mess...thanks for the tip I definately will try!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:59am
post #6 of 6

haha ~ you're welcome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%