Dumb Newbie Question.... But

Decorating By Shaynamills Updated 15 Aug 2007 , 12:25am by tonedna

Shaynamills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shaynamills Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 6

Can someone please explain what color flow is? I've done a search on it but can't seem to understand what it is. Thanks for any help.

5 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 6

Howdy Neighobor!

Colorflow(TM) is a product made by Wilton. Color flow is a technique also known as run sugar, run-in sugar, flow-in, etc. and is done with royal icing. Wilton invented 'Colorflow' so they'd have a product to sell along with their run sugar lesson. The product is a bit stronger than royal icing, but far more expensive. I do lots of run sugar and use royal icing exclusively. Some people swear by the Wilton Colorflow product. It's a matter of preference.

Here are two cakes. One is done with Wilton Colorflow and the other with royal icing. Can you tell the difference? icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

Cake-Happy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Happy Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 6

Howdy y'all!!!! Couldn't resist. icon_smile.gif

DianeLM--
Nice job on the Color Flow and Royal Icing emblems. Wow!! icon_eek.gif I can't tell any difference either. Great job! I'd love to be able to do that.

Good luck Shaynamills. I'm sure you'll do great!

M1resnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
M1resnick Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 12:03am
post #4 of 6

I"ve used both Wilton's Color Flow product and just watered down royal icing so it would flow and both worked well.

I couldn't tell a difference, so I've decided to spend my $$ on other cake toys icon_lol.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 12:13am
post #5 of 6

Diane.. I want to learn to write like that!!! thumbs_up.gif I am soooo jealous... I am great with cakes until I have to write icon_cry.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 12:25am
post #6 of 6

COLORFLOW IS MADE BY WILTON COMPANIES...THEY SELL THE PRODUCT...IT HAS A HIGHER CONTENT OF EGG WHITES THAN REGULAR MERENGUE POWDER...IT WORKS LIKE ROYAL ICING BUT WHEN IT DRIES IT HAS MORE SHINE THAN THE ROYAL ICING.. YOU CAN PIPE IT AND THEN THIN IT OUT AND MAKE IT RUNNY!..IS A LOT OF FUN

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%