Large Wedding Cake Order!!!! Wowsers!

Decorating By jreimer Updated 14 Aug 2007 , 7:40pm by ladybuglau

jreimer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jreimer Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 4

WOWSERS! I just got a call for the largest wedding cake order I've ever done - BY FAR! Its for 9/22 - coming up soon! I spoke with the groom (that was odd to me!) - they're coming to meet/tasting/design on 8/26 -- first of all - this is what they're looking for:

500-600 guests!!!
1 Main 3-tier cake
2 side, replica smaller 3-tier cakes
cupcakes to go on tables
mini cakes for head table
and sheet cakes if needed

This is HUGE to me!

Anyway - he also said they'd like a variety of flavors (since they are getting so much, I'm not against it - I usually push for just white and chocolate since so many people will need to like it...) - anyway - not only do I normally suggest just white and chocolate - those are our main flavors - we don't really go all out with flavors, nobody's really requested anything other.

So... my question is - for the tasting - what do I make this guy??!? Normally I just do white and chocolate cupcakes in BC. He's interested in fillings - should I do some fillings? I can't make LOTS of different kinds of cakes JUST for the tasting... what do you suggest??

3 replies
kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 4

I just did a large cake for 400 (earlene's chart- 530 if you use Wiltons)- and I did chocolate, white and carrot with different fillings. For a tasting I would do just chocolate and white with a couple of different fillings, so they can taste the difference..........my own wedding cake, I did 4 flavors, and that was alot of work..........do whatever is most economical to you and pleases them.........like, I had enough strawberry filling to fill a white 14" cake and then a chocolate 10" cake, etc............if they want another flavor of cake, maybe lemon, that can go over well too...........good luck!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 4

I once did a single cake for 600 . ..
But I digress. Just make sure that you quote a high enough price to cover those little things. Cupcakes and minicakes for the ehad table are a MAJOR PITA. I get $2.50 per cupcake and anywhere between $9 and $16 per mini. Yes, per mini.

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 4

all I can say is wow, jreimer, good luck and keep us posted on how everything goes
(I have nothing of use to add since I've never done something anywhere in the universe of that size of an order icon_razz.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%