To Move Cake Or Not To Move Cake...that Is The Question.

Decorating By atkin600 Updated 13 Oct 2006 , 1:02pm by atkin600

atkin600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atkin600 Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 1:06am
post #1 of 5

I'm making a baby shower cake for Saturday that is supposed to match an invitation. It will be a 6-inch round present cake on top of a 10 inch square present cake, and then to one side will be a cake that looks like a gift bag. The gift bag cake will be covered in fondant. Can I cover it in fondant and then move it onto the board after I decorate the other two cakes? Will it fall apart? And if it is possible to move it, do I need to have it on a separate cake board?

4 replies
IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 1:12am
post #2 of 5

I would think the cake would need some stability under it.

But IHATEFONDANT.. icon_biggrin.gif ..so hopefully someone that likes it will tell you.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 5:22am
post #3 of 5

I would put the gift bag cake on a seperate board, then transport to the main board with the other cakes. You may have to center dowel the gift bag to the main board, in order for the customer to move the cake. You could also hot glue the gift bag cake board to the main board to help in the board sliding.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 5:55am
post #4 of 5

I would put it on it's own board, but if it is small enough and you have a set of cake lifters it would be possible.

I covered the ball separatly on the cake I did with blocks, books and a ball - and I moved that to the board, plus the large block separately, wasn't too bad.

atkin600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atkin600 Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for all the replies. Sweet Results, I just saw the cake that you were talking about in your album. Way to think out of the box! Congratulations, it's wonderful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%