Just Wanted To Recommend A Few Recipes From Here

Baking By flayvurdfun Updated 20 Jul 2005 , 7:15am by 2cakes

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 6:25am
post #1 of 20

I have been busy making a bunch of cakes...not all decorated but thats ok.
I wanted to recommend the ones I have done that were a huge hit, and ones that I have been asked to make (6 to be exact). before I leave here in two weeks...
The Orange Cream Sicle Cake ! WOW WHAT A TASTE (2 cakes ordered)
The Chocolate Mousse Cake IV- (2 cakes ordered)
Pina Colada III cake (1 Cake Ordered)
Lemonade Cake I (1 cake ordered)

Since the base is closing here, my husbands squadron has been going nuts with parties and what is real surprising is that have been asking me to make them.....my husband wouldnt let me charge for them though, but thats ok, I know some awesome cakes now! We have had 3 picnic/BBQ, 2 Potlucks, 2 Personal BBQs, and 1 HUGE BBQ...and we have been so busy with all them making at least one cake for each of these, and Lots of macaroni and cheese to each as well, that our own going away party has been side lined and we wont be having one....
Anyway, go ahead and try these cakes....WOW~ I would also like more recommendations on cakes to make from people on here that have made them!

19 replies
cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 20

thanks, those sound good. I have one question for you flayvurdfun, your avatar is so cute. are you as laid back and calm as it suggest? I just love it.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 20

Thanks for the tips flayvurdfun! They sound yummy!

Debbie

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 20

I'm glad you posted this! I have been looking for some cakes to make besides the same ol' same ol'. I think sharing your favorites is a great idea. Did you fill any of these cakes? If so, what did you use?

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 20

I gotta try the orange dreamsicle cake .. it sounds heavenly ... I did one of the CMD's chocolate cake recipes for the plunger cake and another cake I did here for a co-worker .. I added sour cream to it .. then I used the cake extender recipe from here so I'd have enough cake mix, lol ... I added a little chocolate syrup to the mix because adding the extra flour from the extender recipe lightened up the chocolate and I like mine a bit darker .. it darkened it some .. I taste the batter and it was soooooooooo yummy!!! I hope the cake tastes as good .. icon_wink.gif

TinaRe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinaRe Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 20

THANKS FOR THE RECCOMENDATION! THEY SOUND SO YUMMY! GOOD LUCK ON THE MOVE. ARE YOU COMING STATESIDE? WHAT BRANCH? FORMER MILITARY WIFE- ARMY MP CORPS TO BE EXACT! LOVED IT AND MISS IT SOOO MUCH NOW THAT WE ARE OUT!

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 20

What are you icing these cakes with. I see the creamsicle cake has a frosting with it, but what about the Chocolate Mousse and Pina Colada cakes???

Thanks!

cakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 20

Where are those recipes?

GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 9:30pm
post #9 of 20

They are in the recipe section of this forum

PolishMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PolishMommy Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 10:20pm
post #10 of 20

Thank you!!!!! I saw the Orange creamsicle and was wondering...Now I'll definately have to try!

PolishMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PolishMommy Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 10:25pm
post #11 of 20

Just Noticed that someone gave choc. mousse cake IV a "zero" rating...wonder why? It looks so yummy!!!

flayvurdfun Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 5:47am
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calejo

I'm glad you posted this! I have been looking for some cakes to make besides the same ol' same ol'. I think sharing your favorites is a great idea. Did you fill any of these cakes? If so, what did you use?

Oh yeah I'm sorry, yes, I filled the choc mousse one with choc mousse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes-r-us

thanks, those sound good. I have one question for you flayvurdfun, your avatar is so cute. are you as laid back and calm as it suggest? I just love it.

Well I guess I am. I have been told I am SO very laid back, but Boo is more calmer then I think I am.... I mean I am so easy to get along with, and I will do anything for you, but I have three boys, that bring out the "jumpy" in me...if you know what I mean. Lisa found Boo for me and made her leg move because I first had her face as my avatar smiling. But I do think this Boo fits. icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleC

What are you icing these cakes with. I see the creamsicle cake has a frosting with it, but what about the Chocolate Mousse and Pina Colada cakes???

I made a choc mousse frosting and it went on top along with the filling. The Pina Colada cake was believe it or not Wilton's Buttercream but I used coconut milk in it instead of regular milk....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady

Where are those recipes?

Yes they are in our recipe area on here...I have them on my favorites. icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishMommy

Just Noticed that someone gave choc. mousse cake IV a "zero" rating...wonder why? It looks so yummy!!!

Hmmm, I dont think it deserves that! Thank you for mentioning it to me, I knew I forgot something and that was it, I forgot to rate it myself. I will do that right now.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 6:20pm
post #13 of 20

Flayvurdfun,

I am making the orange creamsicle cake later today. Reading over the recipe, I was wondering, did you pour the entire 2 cups of liquid/gelatin mix over your cake? Did it now oversaturate it? I want a good cake but not overly moist, you know what I mean?

flayvurdfun Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 8:11am
post #14 of 20

sorry I just got this...but NO I did not pour all of it over the cake.....I started with half....it wasnt overly wet or anything.......

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 6:19pm
post #15 of 20

Oh, and don't put pudding or anything in the cake to make it moist. I forgot that, and I ended up with a mushy-moist cake because of the pudding added, then the jello. I forgot the jello would moisten it!

It tastes good, but is a mess to serve!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 4:57am
post #16 of 20

Thanks! I used the jello mixture sparingly since it was a double layer 9x13 cake. I used some of the extra orange gelatin to make a cream cheese filling.

The group of people I made it for have tasted many things from me and they went on and on about how that cake tasted! Thanks for the tip! thumbs_up.gif

Mjmil7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mjmil7 Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 5:32am
post #17 of 20

Oh, I'm so glad I checked out this post before I went to bed. I'm making the orange creamsicle cake for my DIL's birthday this Friday and am so glad that it is delicious! It sounds so yummy. For those of you that have already made one, how did you decorate it? I'll check out your galleries to see if you've posted. Thanks for the recommendations flavy. Janice

mamalove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamalove Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 5:50am
post #18 of 20

I made the orange dreamscicle cake last week and it was a great big hit! I did use all the jello liquid in saturating the cake and it wasn't mushy at all. In fact, after you refridgerate it for the 4 hours that it calls for...it firms up quite well. As far as the frosting, I just gooped it on and made it look fluffy. It wasn't thick enough for me to make any decorations with. Also, I had a bit of frosting left over...it makes a lot!

This is a cake I would make over and over again!

Enjoy!

Annette in AZ

Mjmil7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mjmil7 Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 7:06am
post #19 of 20

mamalove, is this a sweet cake or does it have a tartness to it? I'm hoping more for the sweet taste. Thanks, Janice

2cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2cakes Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 7:15am
post #20 of 20

The orange creamsickle cake was moist, but not bad all. It is an easy recipe and I enjoy making it. I use an 9 inch round pan and a 13x9 inch rectangular pan. You don't want to over mix the batter cause then it would get kind of mushy after baking and cool. It was a great hit with I gave it away. I used all ingredients according to the directions and it was moist and airy. I left the cake in the refrigerator over night so that everything would sink into the cake and firm up a little and believe or not, the cake turned out great. Hope every one has some stories to tell when their cake/s turn out successful. Happy baking. Thanks flayvurdfun for the other recipes, I think that I am going to try the chocolate mousse and I will let you all know how it turned out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%