Any Tips On Choc Buttercream?

Decorating By Tonja Updated 12 Oct 2006 , 7:19pm by PatricesPieces

Tonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tonja Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 1:53am
post #1 of 23

I am going to attempt a chocolate buttercream... I have played with it one time and it was not very good..... any suggestions would be great... Also, can I make it tonight and decorate with it tomorrow?

22 replies
sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 1:57am
post #2 of 23

me too !!! so heres a bump !!

Tonja Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:12am
post #3 of 23

bumping myself

Mandymiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandymiel Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:18am
post #4 of 23

I make it ahead sometimes. Let it warm up a bit, then you have to whip it again before you use it. Sometimes I have to add a little milk.

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:18am
post #5 of 23

I haven't tried this recipe yet. I just got it off of AllRecipes.com tonight. It has great review on there.

Chocolate Fudge Buttercream Frosting

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup shortening
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup hot fudge topping
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
Cream together the butter or margarine with the shortening.
Sift the cocoa with the confectioners' sugar and add to the creamed mixture. Mix together adding 1 tablespoon at a time of milk to keep mixture smooth. Don't add more than 1/4 cup of milk.
Add the hot fudge topping and the vanilla extract. Blend until smooth and creamy.

sweetviolent Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:20am
post #6 of 23

I think i am going to try this as it has chocolate squares in it what do you think ??
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2281-chocolate-decorators-buttercreamhtml

Tonja Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:22am
post #7 of 23

That sounds good... I only have cocoa powder tonight... So I am thinking about trying the Wilton's choc buttercream.... with 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortning.

sweetviolent Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:26am
post #8 of 23

let me know how it tastes and works !!! I wont get to mine untill tomarrow

redbird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redbird Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:26am
post #9 of 23

I thought the Wilton's was yummy. Even without the butter. I can't remember. Maybe I used the butter flavored Crisco.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:27am
post #10 of 23

I have done the Wilton's choc buttercream with 1/2 crisco, 1/2 butter but for the liquid, I used left over coffee which was pretty strong...turned out really well and everyone said it tasted really well...the leftover icing got like fudge in the fridge though...I might try and use it same day or rewhip it if you have to make it ahead...anyhow, the fudgy icing leftovers didn't last long....

sweetviolent Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:31am
post #11 of 23

I have seen where people used coffee in the chocolate but never tried it.

whats up with that ???

I guess it accents the flavor but i never would have thought of it !

jstritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstritt Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:55am
post #12 of 23

I use the wilton recipe and add extra cocoa to it, but then you also have to add extra water or milk as well. I love it. I also added rum to it (vanilla rum actually) and it was soooo good!

Tonja Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 3:00am
post #13 of 23

I used the a buttercream with 1.5 cups shortning and a stick of butter... It is pretty good... just not very dark....

kymscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kymscakes Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 3:06am
post #14 of 23

I made the chocolate decorators buttercream tonight. I have used it before, it works well. It crusts nice so you can use viva on it. I wouldn't make it ahead of time though. I think it gets too stiff in the fridge.

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 3:14am
post #15 of 23

I have also used the Wilton's Chocolate Buttercream recipe and loved it! Instead of the cocoa I used the unsweetened choc. squares. I also mixed in some almond flavoring. Yummy!!

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 4:46am
post #16 of 23

I found a recipe that I use religiously. And it tastes wonderful.

1 cup butter (you can use half shortening and half butter if you prefer)
8 oz of semisweet chocolate morsels
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2lb of confectioners sugar

In a microwave safe bowl combine the morsels and whipping cream. Microwave on 60% for 70 seconds. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. (if you need to, you can keep microwaving in 10 second increments until mixture is melted but be careful not to overheat. Keep stirring and it will melt completely) Cool for 10 min. Combine all ingredients and mix until desired consistency. If too thick add whipping cream to thin. If too thin add more confectioner sugar.

Enjoy and let me know how it turns out

Patrice

chestercheeto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chestercheeto Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 4:50am
post #17 of 23

i made the Chocolate Syrup Frosting based on others' recommendations. it was very rich. really makes you want a cold glass of milk.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 4:55am
post #18 of 23

The recipes posted sound wonderful... I'm all for whipping cream, and chocolate in any form icon_redface.gif

I know I like chocolate flavored coffee, so coffee in chocolate sounds great; I'll have to try that.

What I have done, and liked, is adding a shake or two of cinnamon to my chocolate frosting/cake mix for a subtle flavor ehancement.

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 6:07am
post #19 of 23

I just use the half butter, half crisco recipe and add cocoa.. I don't really measure it.. I just keep adding till I like the taste and its a nice chocolate colour.. It does seem to darken a bit if you make it ahead .. You would need to add more water too..or cream or milk whatever you use.. I just use water that way it doesnt need to be refrigerated.. I add butter flavour and vanilla too..
Liz

millionairess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millionairess Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 8:18am
post #20 of 23

Hi Patrice,

Your recipe sounds delish! Does it crust well?

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 8:25am
post #21 of 23

I start with the decorator buttercream and add cocoa powder. Last time I did it, I used 1/2 Hershey's and 1/2 Droste Dutch cocoa. I think the blend made it really yummy.

RP

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 4:43pm
post #22 of 23

My mon always used strong coffee as the liquid in her chocolate frosting - it was the best! Coffee just seems to intensify the chocolate and takes the sweet edge away.

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 7:19pm
post #23 of 23

Hello Millionairess,

Yes..it does crust nicely. Even holds up to the Viva method!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%