Finished My First Bridal Show

Decorating By Jenn2179 Updated 14 Aug 2007 , 7:26pm by Ginnycakes3

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 29

So here is a little update about the bridal show I was a part of yesterday. It started at 11 am and ended at 4 pm and I was so busy I barely had time to pee. At points there were actually people waiting in line to get into my booth. I had a large number of people tell me how wonderful my cakes were and that my cakes were the BEST tasting at the show. There were 3 other cake places there. My MIL did the florals and helped me decorate my tables and she did a wonderful job. She also helped me out yesterday. I had a number of people tell me they will be calling me for their cakes. There were other exibitors there that tried my cakes and then told their co-workers that they had to try my samples also. I don't think there was a time at all during the day when there were't any people in my booth. A man tried my hummingbird cake and asked can I just order a plain old cake from you with this? Meaning he wanted to know if I did stuff other than wedding cakes. I couldn't believe the response that I had. I was hoping for some good response but it was unbelievable. The people next to me were like, "You were so busy you didn't have a minute of down time." I learned a lot and will mostly get a booth at the next one in Jan. I did mini cupcakes for my samples and had 4 flavors. I had a number of people tell me they liked the fact that I did the mini cupcakes. I also had people ask how far I would deliver. One couple was getting married in Ashville (about 3 hours away) and they told me they didn't find anyone there they loved but they really liked my stuff and my cakes and were wondering about me doing their cake. There was another exibitor there getting married in 2009 and she came to talk to me and asked how early she could book me for her wedding cake and when I was packing up so said, "I AM calling you." It made me feel so good to have some many people tell me how wonderful my cakes tasted and how beautiful they look. People would come into my booth telling me that they were told they HAD to come and try my samples. I was just so thrilled with how my day went and now I am just hoping to get some phone calls. So wish me a little more luck. I attached pictures of my booth.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

28 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 29

I loved reading your post. You sound so happy - good for you and congratulations on a real success!

bunnys26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunnys26 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 29

Your cakes are beautiful, congrats.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 29

That's wonderful! Congratulations on a successful show. Your booth looked really nice-your cakes are gorgeous and there is a wide variety for different tastes. Did you cover all of your minis with buttercream? What flavors did you offer...and did they have to be in liners since the public was handling them? That may be a weird question, but I've heard people say in different states that they were not able to offer samples for that reason.

These look terrific!!

enchantedmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedmoments Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 29

Jenn,
Your booth looked great.
And sounds like it was well worth your time.
How did you decide how many samples to make?
That would be my biggest fear not having enough.

lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 29

what beautifull cake, i hope i can do cakes like that someday. congrats

SCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCS Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 29

Well done! It's great that you had lots of interest! Fingers crossed for lots of business!!!

Your cakes look great by the way from the photo's! I liked the idea of a free wedding cake prize!

absolutecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absolutecakes Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 8:10pm
post #8 of 29

That looked awsome! I hope you get a ton of calls!
I am doing a bridal show in Sept. Do you have any pointers?
How many mini cupcake samples did you bring? Did you take deposits for orders?

Katie

absolutecakes Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 29

That looked awsome! I hope you get a ton of calls!
I am doing a bridal show in Sept. Do you have any pointers?
How many mini cupcake samples did you bring? Did you take deposits for orders?

Katie

ashley87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashley87 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 8:17pm
post #10 of 29

Congrats!!!! I'm happy that it went so well for being your first!! icon_smile.gif

pinkmelmac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkmelmac Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 8:35pm
post #11 of 29

Congratulations!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif I just hope that one day my cakes will be as beautiful as yours......I wish you the best and hope you are swamped with calls!!!!!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 8:40pm
post #12 of 29

That's wonderful. How fun and exciting for you. Your cakes turned out beautiful and I'm glad your day was a success.

Jenn2179 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 11:18pm
post #13 of 29

I used the liners that I bought at Michaels for the mini cupcakes, made by Wilton but I was not really fond of them and will spend more money next time for the better ones. For my samples I had chocolate cake, chocolate chip pound cake, lemon pound cake, and hummingbird cake. I made about 1200 samples. It was too many but rather too many than too little. Plus I made a lot of people happy today with the extras. I gave a bunch to my neighbors, my husband took some to work (he's at the police academy right now), and my FIL took some to his work too. They both set them out with my business cards and a bunch of people took them. I even got an email from a co-worker of my FIL's saying he will be calling me next time he needs a cake. What I learned: Take the time and spend a little extra money to decorate your booth. Really helps draw people in. I would have bigger platters next time cause I had to keep filling up my sample plates cause they were disappearing like mad. Have a 3rd person. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing from what I did. It was a lot of fun. I did not book anyone, honestly I didn't have time to do that. I was just that busy. Many times people were waiting in line to get into my booth and I think the free cake was a huge draw and I think it will be so worth the amount of time and money I spend making it. I am not sure how many brides were there but I had 219 fill out a raffle slip.

Jenn2179 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 11:27pm
post #14 of 29

Oh I would make sure I have a cart to help get everything into and out of the show. I did not have one but I WILL next time.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 11:42pm
post #15 of 29

Oh good for you! I thought of doing one of those back in the beginning of the year but was really scared since Ive never did one and never went to one so I had no idea what to expect.
I wish you lots of luck and lots of bookings! You go girl!!

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 11:47pm
post #16 of 29

I am so excited for you!!!!! I was reading as fast as I imagined you were talking. It was so fun hearing your success!!!

Good luck with all!!!
Lu

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 11:57pm
post #17 of 29

Congratulation! I glad that went well for you. Just imagine the business that will be coming your way.

Good Luck!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 11:58pm
post #18 of 29

Are you or do you have to be licensed in your area? GOOD LUCK!!!!!! I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy it went well for you.

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 12:01am
post #19 of 29

I'm so happy to see this thread, I have a show next weekend, and am completely clueless what I need to do or be prepared for! I will have dummies, and photo's, but unsure about the samples. I definately want to have samples, but not sure what to put them in. Mini cupcake holders seem too small, but the big ones are too big. I found some on line they're same width as a normal cupcake holder, but shorter (they're pretty too - decorated w/ a touch of gold). What would you use next time (what did other cake vendors use?) Any other suggestions?!
Congratulations on what sounds like was a successful show - your cakes look beautiful!! thumbs_up.gif

bakenboi29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakenboi29 Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 12:11am
post #20 of 29

Congratulations on your show and everything looked so nice. I can imagine all the stress and excitement. I would have been running around like a chicken with its head cut off. icon_lol.gif When I do my first bridal show, hopefully everything will turn out fine for me. Good job. thumbs_up.gif

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 12:15am
post #21 of 29

First of all, Congratulations. Your booth looked great, and your cakes are lovely. So glad to hear how well it went for you. Please keep us updated on the success I am sure you will have. One question though what is a hummingbird cake? Definitely peaked my curiosity!

Jenn2179 Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 12:24am
post #22 of 29

I would do the mini cupcakes again. They were the perfect size, 2 bites. That way they don't feel guilty if they try more than one flavor. Many a brides told me they liked the mini cupcakes cause they were easier to eat since you didn't have to use a plate and fork and they didn't waste any. I am licensed, in NC you can bake out of your home. I also am insured. Hummingbird cake has banana, pineapple, walnuts, cinnamon. I did get that question a lot yesterday.

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 1:12am
post #23 of 29

Congratulations!! You must have definitely deserved it! Your cakes looked lovely - the whole booth looked lovely! Again congratulations!!

absolutecakes Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 2:12am
post #24 of 29

Did you make up any flyers or brochures? Or did you just give out business cards?

Katie

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 2:29am
post #25 of 29

I am happy it all went so well for you!

Jenn2179 Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 1:00pm
post #26 of 29

I made up flyers and my MIL stapled my business cards to my flyers. Plus I had just business cards in holders.

marecip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marecip Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 1:42pm
post #27 of 29

How exciting!! Congratulations!!! Everything looked wonderful & your cakes looked fabulous. The mini's were a really good idea. Offering a more than just the standard yellow & choc cake flavors was really smart too.
Can you share your recipes! Please!

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:17pm
post #28 of 29

Congratulations! I'm watching your post...I've got my first show next month. I planned on the mini cupcakes too. So, it was very helpful to know how that worked out for you. I'm just so thrilled for you. If you have any other hints or suggestions let us know. Your post was very informative and SO much fun to read!!!!

Ginnycakes3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ginnycakes3 Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 7:26pm
post #29 of 29

Congratulations! I'm happy everything went well for you. I am sure you were flying high at the end of the day, but I bet you were totally exhausted too!

Your cakes and table display's look so lovely and inviting, your samples sound scrumptiuos! It's no wonder you had people flocking to your table!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%