Lumps Of Crisco In My Buttercream

Decorating By Cloudsmom Updated 13 Aug 2007 , 8:01pm by sugarlaced

Cloudsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cloudsmom Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 3:19am
post #1 of 10

The last couple of times I've made buttercream, I've ended up with tiny little lumps of Crisco that I had to fish out with toothpicks. It's driving me absolutely crazy, and I'm not sure what's causing it. Any ideas?

TIA!

9 replies
shoup_family Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoup_family Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 3:41am
post #2 of 10

Wow, how weird. When I do it I cream thoroughly my flavoring, crisco, and milk/water for a few min before I add powdered sugar. Are you using vegetable crisco??

JoJoMick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJoMick Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 3:49am
post #3 of 10

Wow . . . I've had that happen with cream cheese before. It was the cheepie store brand and the corners were dried out (or otherwise solidified). Lesson learned: only use Philly Cream Cheese! Sorry I can't offer any help with your mystery.

Cloudsmom Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 12:43pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks for the responses... yes, it's regular vegetable crisco (not the trans-fat-free kind), and I cream it with the butter & flavor before adding the sugar. Maybe I'm not mixing long enough or fast enough? I'm making another batch tonight - we'll see what happens!

sugarlaced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlaced Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 10

I have had the same problem...many times! I even cream mine with almost boiling water and my flavorings...still lumps!! I can't figure out the problem either. I use the store brand from Wal-Mart. icon_cry.gif

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 10

if you are using a stand mixer, make sure the beater has been adjusted properly - if not, it doesn't always reach far enough into the bowl and you get some "unmixed" areas.

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:08pm
post #7 of 10

I've found (when using my Kitchen-Aid) that the wire whisk works better at mixing my icing than the normal paddle. Try mixing it until it softens and looks creamy. Scrape the bottom and around the sides and mix again. I noticed the same thing (for the first time) this past weekend when I did cakes. I don't think I mixed the shortening long enuf. I use the Walmart brand, too. Don't know what I'll do if they follow Crisco's path.....
HTH!

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:09pm
post #8 of 10

I had the same problem so I start with beating the Crisco, flavoring, and water first, then add about 1/3 of the powdered sugar. Let it mix for a few minutes, then I put the rest of the powdered sugar in. That seemed to help.

Cloudsmom Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:33pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks so much for all the suggestions!!! You all are a huge help.

sugarlaced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlaced Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 8:01pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

if you are using a stand mixer, make sure the beater has been adjusted properly - if not, it doesn't always reach far enough into the bowl and you get some "unmixed" areas.

How do you adjust your beater??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%