Covering Cake Boards

Decorating By jamccubbin Updated 11 Oct 2006 , 1:22pm by mmdd

jamccubbin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamccubbin Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 23

Does anyone have a good idea for covering your sheet cake boards that is cheap (fanci foil is expensive) and safe for food? I bought several boards, but did not know they were not waxed. icon_rolleyes.gif Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Jennifer icon_smile.gif

22 replies
CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 23

I have used wrapping paper or fabric with cling wrap over it. When you wrap it all up and then apply cling wrap (tightly) over the paper or fabric, no one can tell what you have done...except you! I use it a lot!!

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 23

For the cake layer, where the board won't show:
press n' seal, parchment, wax paper, freezer paper.

If the board is larger than the cake, some people decorate it with wrapping paper, then cover it with plastic wrap or clear contact paper.

mdelmauro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdelmauro Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 23

Freezer paper is good to cover the boards, put the plain side down and leave the waxed side up for the cake to sit on. Paper is white and looks good under any cake.

mommacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommacakes Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 23

I just did this tonight for the first time with the help of some ladies on here. I bought some wrapping paper that went along with my theme and taped it on the board then put contact paper( I calll it laminating paper icon_redface.gif ) on it! It is absolutly a fabulous idea! It was the first time I did it and I went crazy with the design. I can't wait to do more designs with different wrapping papers.

Also another idea is to cover cake board with fondant! There are some beautiful ones in the galleries....

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:02am
post #6 of 23

This sounds like a nice idea...covering the board with wrapping paper then with plastic...does anyone have a photo of this by any chance? I'd love to see what it looks like before I try it.
Thanks!

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:10am
post #7 of 23

If you look at my photos I have 2 on boards with scrapbooking paper covered with contact. Its the Fall Leaves cake and Halloween Twinkies. First time I've done it and I love it!

Just remembered, I have a 3rd one I did with gold wrapping paper in there too.

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:11am
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommacakes

I bought some wrapping paper that went along with my theme and taped it on the board then put contact paper( I calll it laminating paper icon_redface.gif ) on it! It is absolutly a fabulous idea! It was the first time I did it and I went crazy with the design. I can't wait to do more designs with different wrapping papers.

I made a thicker board--13x19--using 3 cardboards and glueing them. Then I bought some plain red wrapping paper from the 50% off card store wrapped the board, put some farm animal stickers on that, using my cake pan as a template. Then put contact paper over that. It looked so cute. I almost asked for it back, but I did not. I got the idea from my CC friends. I will do it again for my next themed cake.

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:17am
post #9 of 23

I love the wrapping paper contact paper ideas, then you can match a cake more easily b/c you have many more options. I just did one that I only had silver fanci foil on hand and it was a fall themed cake so I painted it with a sheer layer of luster dust. Not the best route to take though it did work in a pinch.

shortNsweet Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:23am
post #10 of 23

Thanks Zoraya...I saw them, and they look great! I will have to try this. I am doing a large cake for a Bat Mitzvah party, and I also did the invitations for this client. I'm thinking about covering the cake board in the same print vellum I used on the invitations...it might be a nice touch,...but the cake is kind of busy, and 4 tiers, and I'm afraid it may be overkill! I don't want to take away from the cake, you know?

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:24am
post #11 of 23

on my pooh cake i used pooh wrapping paper covered with clear contact. it turned out really cute and its great that you can match the cakeboard to the occasion.

CakesUnleashed Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:59am
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortNsweet

This sounds like a nice idea...covering the board with wrapping paper then with plastic...does anyone have a photo of this by any chance? I'd love to see what it looks like before I try it.
Thanks!

Here is one I did with wrapping paper with plastic wrap over it. You can't even tell!
LL

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 1:06am
post #13 of 23

I love this idea...but when I've covered paperback books with clear contact paper (and I've done thousands of them at school!!!!!) I always seem to have to lift it up and reposition it to get it perfectly smooth, without any wrinkles or bubbles. Am I just not doing something right? I'd hate to ruin a beautiful wrapping paper...Thanks! PAT

shortNsweet Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 1:08am
post #14 of 23

WOW! That really DOES look fabulous! Thanks for the photo!

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 1:16am
post #15 of 23

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not, but contact paper is not food safe. Sorry to be a party-pooper.

zoraya Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 1:57am
post #16 of 23

oops, didn't know contact paper wasn't foodsafe icon_redface.gif
well, at least only one was a real cake, the other 2 were demos.

shortnsweet - vellum would be a nice touch, its more of an accent so it should look nice.

cakesunleashed - does the plastic wrap tear when you cut and serve the cake? thats what I was worried about but it would be a lot cheaper to do.

CakesUnleashed Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 4:06am
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdd

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not, but contact paper is not food safe. Sorry to be a party-pooper.

If you cover the contact paper with plastic wrap, it works great!

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 4:25am
post #18 of 23

So what do you suggest, just plastic wrap?

jedmo01s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jedmo01s Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 7:00am
post #19 of 23

I usually cover my cake boards in aluminum foil. If you have a couple of boards stacked for thickness, you can cover them with foil and adhere a ribbon or fabric rope trim to the edge for a nice finish.

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 7:10am
post #20 of 23

I wouldn't think using aluminum foil would be good. What if when you are cutting the cake a chunk of foil goes with the cake... If you have filling like I do OUCH icon_cry.gif fillings and aluminum don't mix well. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Just a thought..

mommacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommacakes Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:20pm
post #21 of 23

Uh too late for me... I already have a three layer cake sitting on contact paper..... is it a really bad idea to have the cake sitting on it? I did not realize it was not food safe!!! What should I do.... It is a big three layer 12x18 cake!!!!! Please tell me it is ok to do it for just this one time around?!!!!!

zoraya Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:35pm
post #22 of 23

the cake I had on contact paper was fine. no one got sick. It probably sat on it for at least 48 hours before it was all gone.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 1:22pm
post #23 of 23

There was a big thread on this a while back. One CC member knew exactly why it wasn't food safe, other than the reason that it wasn't made specifically to be used with food.

Just like "soft" lunchboxes, they now have the kind that say "ultra safe" on the inside. The kind of lining/the way they made that lining before wasn't safe to touch food.

Same thing goes for the cakes that are in kitty litter pans and flower pots, etc. If it wasn't made to be used with food specifically, then it's more than likely not safe.

Like I said before, sorry-don't mean to be a party-pooper, but it's always better to be safe than sorry-especially if you're dealing with food that goes into other people's mouths.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%