Cake Baking In Advance

Decorating By smw06 Updated 12 Aug 2007 , 8:41am by Hollyanna70

smw06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smw06 Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 1:53am
post #1 of 4

Hi all...I'm sure this has been posted before, but how far in advance can you bake a cake and still have it taste fresh? I have to do a wedding cake for a Saturday wedding, I want to have the cake finished on friday so I figure I'd bake them Tuesday and Wednesday, do the crumb coating, then frost it Thursday and decorate on Friday. My filling is just going to be buttercream frosting so it doesn't "have" to be refrigerated.

Oh, and all of this will be done at night after I get home from work.

Thanks for the help.....

3 replies
lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 3:51am
post #2 of 4

Keep the cake in a cool dry place. If you baking early in the day one Tuesday, put them in the freezer for awhile. I bake one-two days ahead of time. Good Luck with your wedding cake!!!!

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 8:12am
post #3 of 4

Refrigerate or freeze the cakes wrapped in plastic, then aluminum foil. You'll be fine. I've frozen cake for over a month and it still tastes as delicious as the fresh ones! Just make sure to wrap it well to keep out air as well as funky flavors it can carry.
Thaw in the fridge.

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 8:41am
post #4 of 4

Also, make sure the cakes have cooled "completely" before wrapping in plastic wrap. I would let them sit in on the cooling rack for at least a hour, maybe more depending on the sizes, before wrapping.

Condensation is not your friend.. icon_wink.gif

You might also consider making them even earlier, if you are freezing them, so you don't feel so rushed.

Good luck!

Hope this helps,

Holly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%