How Much To Charge?

Decorating By SeattleCakes Updated 13 Aug 2007 , 1:20am by katerpillrgrl

SeattleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeattleCakes Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 12:49am
post #1 of 7

Just want to get an opinion from you guys on what you would charge per slice for a sculpted 12 point buck. The bride and groom looked at me like I had just grown antlers when I told them what it would cost, and I just want to know if I am way off the mark. Its a red velvet/cream cheese groom's cake for a hundred people and I told them $9.00/slice. I know what people charge for that in NYC (where I used to work) and it is a heck of a lot more that $9.00! (i think duff charged $15 for his... but he's duff) Being new to the south, however, i am struggling with finding a price point that doesn't scare people.... so now I just need an opinion from some other cc-ers icon_smile.gif

thanks!
kaysie

6 replies
lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 2:49am
post #2 of 7

Call the local bakeries and see what they would charge for a sculpted cake. (if they do it). That should give you a better idea. I lived in GA for a number of years and I don't think they charge that much. But that was a few years ago too. Good luck!

SeattleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeattleCakes Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 3:43am
post #3 of 7

yeah... that's the thing... only one other person here really sculpts.... and she's keeping tight lipped about her prices.... all she told me was sculpted cakes start at $7.00....

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 3:50am
post #4 of 7

In my opinion, the bride and groom also need to take into account that the cake itself is more expensive to make. I live in Alabama and I think that $9.00/pp is more than fair. But then again, I have an idea of how much work would go into making the cake.

baergarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baergarivera Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 3:52am
post #5 of 7

NashvilleCakes,

Sometimes people don't want to pay for the work they want it nice cheap and PRETTY TO LET'S NOT FORGET THAT. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

IF YOU WORK HARD YOU SHOULD ALWAYS CHARGE WHAT YOU PUT IN PLUS MORE.

thumbs_up.gif

DebbyTCL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyTCL Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 12:57am
post #6 of 7

NashvilleCakes,
I am right here in Murfreesboro and I deal with the same thing! People do not know what goes into making these cakes and they think that you can just whip it out in 1/2 a day a be finished with it! Your price is more than fare and correct for this area. When they go to someone else, they will get the same quote, if not higher! If they get a lower quote, they will be getting what they paid for! I have had several people call for quotes and when I tell them what their cake would cost, there is dead silence on the phone. (1 Bride asked for this: 5 Tiers to be Stacked, to serve 208, Almond Cream cake with Chocolate Mousse filling, Almond Buttercream covered in Almond Fondant, decorated with cornelli lace and scroll with edible pearls, gum paste flowers to trail from top to bottom, $2080.00. She then tells me her budget is $500.00 and could I do it for that price!) I think it something in the air!

katerpillrgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katerpillrgrl Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:20am
post #7 of 7

Uhhh...Nashville....I just took a look at your portfolio and it's impeccable. From what I can tell you have every right to charge 9 bux/piece for that work of ART they requested. I don't live in Tennessee but that price, especially for your skill level, sounds MORE than fair!!

If I were you, I'd stick to my guns on this one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%