Wilton Color Gel..get This Crap Off My Fingers!!!!!

Decorating By ConnieB Updated 11 Oct 2006 , 3:41am by moydear77

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 17

Calling all CCer's!!!!!

Does anybody know how to get royal blue gel color off of your fingers?

I look diseased icon_cry.gif

usaribbon.gif

16 replies
missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 17

The Magic Erasers work well. I also find just hopping in the shower and really washing/scrubbing my hair helps get it off! icon_biggrin.gif

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 17

I usually use latex gloves when working with the colors.

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyek

I also find just hopping in the shower and really washing/scrubbing my hair helps get it off! icon_biggrin.gif

I have found this is the best way to get it off for me too. It usually doesn't get it all off, just the bulk of it. The rest wears off in about a day if I wash my hands a lot.

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 17

Thanks for the tip about the "Magic Eraser" from what I hear these things can clean up near bout anything.

Also, I will remember next time to use latex gloves. I use them with fondant, I should have remembered to use them with the colors!

Thank y'all a lot!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

usaribbon.gif

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 17

try a tad of bleach in the soap water...just a little like 1/2 cap full. or some vodka...it lifts colours too.

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 17

I have read on here that some people use toothpaste, also lava soap will work. Good luck

CupCake13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake13 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 9:01pm
post #8 of 17

yeah, isn't it something that it takes a few days to wear off your skin, but on a cake it fades like nobody's bidness!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 11:44pm
post #9 of 17

JUST A NOTE... those of you who use gloves might want to consider using vinyl gloves instead of latex. There are lots of folks out there with SEVERE latex allergies.. My good friend is one of them, and it is a tough allergy to deal with.

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:59am
post #10 of 17

For the really tough to remove stains, I take one of those pumice stones and a couple of rubs and the majority of the color is gone.

Harsh, I know, but it works icon_biggrin.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 1:26am
post #11 of 17

Be careful with those Magic Erasers....I was asked by my DD to get sharpie off her hand, and I tried on of those. It abraded her skin, and it took quite a while for it to feel ok again! I felt like such a horrible mother....

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 1:33am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgjam22

try a tad of bleach in the soap water...just a little like 1/2 cap full. or some vodka...it lifts colours too.

LOL...I totally vote for Vodka!!!! You can drink it after...no waste icon_biggrin.gif

sdfgarcia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdfgarcia Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 1:34am
post #13 of 17

It's hell on your hands, but get a nice squirt of softscrub cleanser with bleach and just scrub em down. Your skin will be very dry afterwards, and you'll want to be sure to rinse extremely well. Just drench your hands in a good moisturizer afterwards. It won't be fun, but it's better than looking cyanotic.

lindsaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsaycakes Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 1:36am
post #14 of 17

I put a little splash of straight bleach in my sink and rub my fingers in it until the color wears off.

It's not a great solution for you "Naturalists" out there, but for me it's better than looking like I finger paint my cakes!!!!

bayougrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bayougrl Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 1:38am
post #15 of 17

Toothpase works wonders!

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 1:44am
post #16 of 17

I have used hairspray. I use hairspray to get ink pen stains off of things. I tried it on my hands and it worked. ( I think it might be the alcohol in it)

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:41am
post #17 of 17

I use toothpaste-Good for Kool aid stains too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%