Wedding Dress Cake

Decorating By Vanaya Updated 6 Nov 2006 , 4:50pm by finnox

Vanaya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanaya Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 27

I need help!

I made a wedding cake dress for my cousin's wedding shower. She liked it so much that she wants me to make her wedding cake. She wants a similar dress cake that looks like her dress and one that looks like a tux.
I think I can figure out how to do the tux, but I am stumped on the dress!!!

Here are some pictures of her dress:
http://www.bonny.com/index.php?option=com_staticxt&staticfile=gowns.php?id=1&gline=1&start_page=0&featured=N

Please help!
Thanks,

~ Caroline

26 replies
MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 27

Go to Toba Garrett's website.....she has a wedding dress cake on that and maybe seeing that will give you some direction.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 27

the dress will fondant, for the detail you can pipe luster dust (recipe below) or do royal icing, let dry then paint with luster dust.

Recipe for luster piping

this is from Nick Lodge's new sugarcraft book:

2 teaspoons 10X sugar
2 teaspoons luster dust
clear alcohol (gin or vodka or lemon extract)
1 teaspoon piping gel

mix the sugar and luster. Add a few drops of alcohol and mix to make a stiff paste. Add piping gel, a little at a time, until a piping consistency is reached.

I would use a tip 1 for this. Another method I have read is to mix the luster with a little canola oil. I would say one container to maybe a teaspoon or tablespoon of oil, and brush the inside of the piping bag with the mixture, then fill with buttercream and pipe as usual.

Another thing you could try is to pipe the outlines with royal, let them dry, and paint them with luster.

Vanaya Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 27

I can't seem to get to Toba Garrett's website from work. Can someone post the picture for me?

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 27

This is the only one I could find on her site.
LL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 27

that cake is gorgeous........you could do someting just like it only have the navy peaking out on the bottom part and do the same scroll work as on the dress........and the top make a navy v simulating the v neck on your sis's dress.......that dress is beautiful and would make a stunning cake!!!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:01pm
post #7 of 27

The dress is GORGEOUS! Good luck-I'm sorry I can't help but I can't wait to see the finished project!!

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:04pm
post #8 of 27

For ideas on different styles, here are two dress cakes I've done.
LL
LL
LL
LL

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:06pm
post #9 of 27

WOW! The cake and dress are gorgeous! Where were those when I was getting married---lol! I want a do over, although I loved my dress and the cakes. Post the cake when you do it--would love to see it!

Vanaya Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:16pm
post #10 of 27

Wow.. those cakes are AMAZING!

Here is a picture of the previous dress cake I made.
It's just a carved 12x18.

Is there anyway I can replicate her dress in the same type of format? (carved sheet cake?)
LL

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:51pm
post #11 of 27

That almost might be easier - you could do fondant or luster dust for the navy top of the dress, and carve the straps, use icing to pipe the vneck like you did on this one, and do the same for the waist. You can employ the same concept - just carve the A-line. I bet you could do one of the other type cakes if you wanted . . . really wow her even more!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 5:09pm
post #12 of 27

I have seen bride and groom cakes for showers made from the heart pans. One decorated as the bridal gown, one as the tux.
These are cookies, but give you an idea what I'm talking about.
LL
LL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 5:15pm
post #13 of 27

I think a carved sheet cake would be MUCH easier!!!! Are you sure that's what she wants??? Not a tiered traditional wedding cake decorated like her dress??? You would know, she's your sister........I think you could achieve a pretty darn good replica of her dress just by covering the carved cake in fondant and having it drape down with the navy fondant in the center and you could replicate the neck line of her dress using the fondant too. then maybe pipe the scroll details of her dress on the fondant with royal icing, I would brush the royal with some silver luster dust once it's dry....to give it that sparkle the embroidery on the dress has.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 5:21pm
post #14 of 27

does she want it shaped like the dress?? if she doesnt then you could take elements from the dress and pipe onto the cake and trim the boards with blue ribbon to match the blue on the dree. my wedding dress was also a bonny dress.

Vanaya Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 5:21pm
post #15 of 27

She definitely does NOT want a traditional tiered wedding cake.
Originally, she was not going to have a cake. Just a chocolate fountain with fruit.
After her wedding shower, when her husband to be saw the cake, they decided they wanted something like it. Something non-traditional.

I'll call her tonight and see if she would like fondant, it would make things much easier. Last time I talked to her, she wanted buttercream (like the last one). Ill explain to her that under the fondant, there will be a layer of buttercream. That way if someone doesn't like it, they can just peel it off.

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 5:22pm
post #16 of 27

Wow!!! Her dress is so pretty. I have a dress cake in my pics you could use for an idea. I would love to see what you decide. I love the pattern you have to start from on her dress.

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 5:22pm
post #17 of 27

What gorgeous cakes!!!

Sonjanaome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sonjanaome Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 5:50pm
post #18 of 27

This may sound stupid but what is Toba Garretts web site? icon_redface.gif

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 7:17pm
post #19 of 27
cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 9:21pm
post #20 of 27

I think you could do the carved sheet cake. My mom and I are going to do one for my cousin's shower. I'm the ambitious one that wants to do a 3D extravaganza, but my mom's had success with carving a sheet cake so we will most likely go that route...

licia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
licia Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 12:15pm
post #21 of 27

Wedding dress cakes are awesome, I am not that good.

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:35am
post #22 of 27

Great thread!
Leana, thanks for posting that recipe for luster piping! I want to give it a try.

froggyjustjumpin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyjustjumpin Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 6:37am
post #23 of 27

If you are just thinking of a sheet cake, you can still do 3D. I would use the heart pan and the ball pan cover in flesh colored fondant. Then over your white and navy on that cut to match the dress. Use a sheet cake to make the skirt. That would be very pretty.

or

Use the Barbie doll with out the head and arms and cover in fondant to make it look like a dress form and insert into the Wonder Mold and do the dress in fondant and trim as stated in the other posts. This could be mounted on a sheet cake.

Just a couple of ideas.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 1:01pm
post #24 of 27

The completed dress is in her pics! But I like the heart/ball idea.

Vanaya Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:05pm
post #25 of 27

Thanks everyone!

The dress did not come out like I expected, but she loved it.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:14pm
post #26 of 27

I bet she did....it looks great.............nice job!

finnox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finnox Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 4:50pm
post #27 of 27

Post the cake so when you are done we all can see it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%