Board For 12 X 18 Sheet

Decorating By mommacakes Updated 10 Oct 2006 , 2:08pm by Steady2Hands

mommacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommacakes Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 6

What kind of board can I get for a 12x18 sheet cake? SHould I go to hardware store and ask for wood or is there someplace that sells plastic type boards.......? It is a big three layer cake so I need advice on what kind of board to get........

5 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 6

I would get a sheet of plywood...make sure to have it cut larger than your cake. You can just cover it in some contact paper......or wrapping paper and clear contact over top to make it look nicer.

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 6

I get a big piece of press board and cut to suit what I need. If you have a home depot or Rona (Canada) check out what they have.

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 6

I went to Home Depot. They have MDF in 2 feet by 4 feet sheets for about $6. The board is 3/4 of an inch thick. I had them cut it to the size I needed. They didn't charge me anything for cutting it. I also have some extra sheetrock at home that I have used before. I just cover the board with foil wrapping paper. Then I make sure I have a regular cake board between the foil wrap and the cake.

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 1:42pm
post #5 of 6

i got a piece of masonite board at home depot for a cake i did. its no more than a 1/4'' thick but its very strong. I covered it with wrapping paper to match the occasion and then covered with clear contact, it worked great.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 6

Foam Core works great for me. It's just styrofoam sandwiched between two heavyweight posterboards. They're similar to the Cake Drums you can use as a wedding cake base.

You can buy them at craft stores (like Hobby Lobby) for 3.99 per sheet. You can cut them with an Exacto (utility) knife. One sheet is big enough to cut 2 - 14 x 20 boards which makes them 2.00 each. They are very sturdy.

I have lost so many wooden boards. Using Foam Core is a very reliable and much cheaper way for me to provide a good sturdy cake base for my customers without them having to return it to me (although some do thumbs_up.gif ).

(edited for a typo icon_redface.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%