Your Best Tips To Use Vinyl To Work With Fondant...

Decorating By frosting111 Updated 30 Oct 2011 , 2:44am by BlakesCakes

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 33

Vinyl for Fondant question...

I've never used this technique before, but read about it on CC in the forums a while back and was impressed to give it a try....

I just went to the fabric store and saw some of the clear vinyl on a rack and thought "oh goody, I'll get some and try it"...So bought a 1 yard piece of clear vinyl to roll my fondant out on, and to help place the fondant on the cakes with as well...What's the best all around size to cut the size of my vinyl down to, to keep it a good all around size but also easy to manage as well...or should I cut it into a couple different sizes to accommodate what size sheet of fondant I would need to roll out???

Also....Please,give some of your best tips to use this vinyl threw your experience's using it to manipulate fondant onto cakes....

Thanks in Advance,Mary birthday.gif

32 replies
rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 33

The piece I use most is about 25" square. It just depends on how big of a cake you're making. I figure I have the rest of the yard I bought if I want a bigger piece for a bigger cake! Be sure and lightly wet your surface that you put your vinyl on. It keeps it from slipping while you're rolling out your fondant. I've had good luck just using a very light coating of shortening on my vinyl. My fondant doesn't stick at all. I just flip the whole thing over onto the cake and peal the vinyl off! On larger cakes, it helps to have an extra set of hands available if possible when flipping and pealing back the fondant. Hope that helps!

frosting111 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 33

So cut it about a 25 X 25..makes sense to me...if i needed a piece to cover a 14 in cake the surface would need to be no less than 22 inches anyway....

Ya know what, I had wondered how the vinyl would stay in one place when rolling the fondont over it....never in a million years would I have thought to slightly wet the surface first...Thanks for that handy dandy tip..

I bet I would have gotten so frustrated trying to roll the fondant on it and not knowing how to prevent it from shifting around that I would have given up and threw it out!!!

How do you store your vinyl?...Would it be best to keep it rolled up on a gift wrapping tube?

frosting111 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 33

Meant to ask...if you lightly coat the vinyl with shortening and it peels off easily when turning it over on the cake, does that mean you don't have to lift and shift the fondant while rolling it out on the vinyl as well?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 33

I just bought some of this a few weekends ago cause I was covering a cake larger than my rolling mat would work for. I have a glass top table and learned I don't have to do anything to keep it from moving. It actually stuck to my table top. I didn't grease mine and it worked fine, so you may want to try some extra fondant and see if it will peel off with out anything on it.

If you are wanting to use the vinal to flip it up on the cake then you want to do nothing or grease with crisco. If you roll it out on powder sugar/corn startch it will slide off it.

frosting111 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I just bought some of this a few weekends ago cause I was covering a cake larger than my rolling mat would work for. I have a glass top table and learned I don't have to do anything to keep it from moving. It actually stuck to my table top. I didn't grease mine and it worked fine, so you may want to try some extra fondant and see if it will peel off with out anything on it.

If you are wanting to use the vinal to flip it up on the cake then you want to do nothing or grease with crisco. If you roll it out on powder sugar/corn startch it will slide off it.

So I shouldn't coat the vinyl with shortening if going to use it to flip the fondant onto the cakes?

Gesh I probably would have tried dusting the vinyl and found out the hard way it would slide off..Thanks for that insight!

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 33

Thanks for the tip!

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 10:56pm
post #8 of 33

I coat the vinyl with a little crisco. I cut my vinyl to the size of my island. I also have a smaller piece of vinyl that I use for figures and smaller projects. To make the vinyl stick to the counter, I just run a wet wash rag over the surface and then roll out the vinyl. Sticks perfectly. To store it, I make sure it's clean and dry and just roll it up.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 11:01pm
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosting111

So I shouldn't coat the vinyl with shortening if going to use it to flip the fondant onto the cakes?

If you want it to stick so you can flip it over use the crisco. You may find that you can roll it out and remove it just fine with out the cirsco too. But I would do that with a scrap piece and not when you are trying to get a cake done so you don't stress out if it does stick.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 11:02pm
post #10 of 33

I roll mine up and store it on a gift wrap tube, but if it gets a wrinkle or doesn't want to lay flat I hold it in the shower with hot water running over it. It will get warm and plyable then and I can flatten it back out.

Also, after I roll out the fondant I can pick up the vinyl and the fondant sticks to it. I hold it up to the light to see if I have any spots I have rolled to thin.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 11:09pm
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTODECORATING

Also, after I roll out the fondant I can pick up the vinyl and the fondant sticks to it.

Really??! This is GREAT information!

Thanks to everyone posting here, looks like I need to make a trip to the fabric store. Is there a specific thickness of vinyl I'm looking for, or is it just simply "clear vinyl"?

frosting111 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 11:26pm
post #12 of 33

Wowzers...thanks everyone...your tips are soooooo informative...I cant wait to do my next fondant cake so I can use my new vinyl...

I'm hoping too that with me having long nails, that using the vinyl will help me not to indent or tare the fondant when handling it as well...any one have any takes on that?

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 11:32pm
post #13 of 33

You can also use it to make your own impression mats........ Just place the vinyl over a picture, or words, or ANYTHING you want to copy. Use your hot glue gun to trace the image, and when it dries, you can press it against your BC OR fondant and then pipe over it in the color you wish..... Just remember, if you are using it for lettering, you must reverse it or it will be backwards on your cake.......

Cake-Happy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Happy Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 3:35am
post #14 of 33

Thanks for all the tips. I need to get me some vinyl, since my mat is too small at times. I also like the tip about tracing with a hot glue gun to make your own impression mat. How cool is that?!

Frosting111, I roll my mat over my long rolling pin to help it keep it's shape.

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 4:55am
post #15 of 33

I bought mine at Walmart and they had a couple of different thicknesses (sp?). I bought the thicker one.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 2:58pm
post #16 of 33

The last wedding cake I did required that I roll the fondant out to 30". I used Crisco on the vinyl and flipped that fondant right onto that cake with the fondant still on the vinyl (which is definitely not my preferred method - I like the rolled side of the fondant to be the topside). I peeled the vinyl off of the fondant with no problems at all.

I also keep several smaller pieces for smaller cakes, as I prefer the vinyl over any of my Wilton mats. It's great for rolling out gumpaste too.

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 3:15pm
post #17 of 33

The decorative/lace vinyls are also good to use if you want an impression on your fondant...It's just like using an impression mat..

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 10:13pm
post #18 of 33

OK I just bought my vinyl today. You forgot to mention that a yard of the stuff is only three BUCKS. Yahoo!

Anyway any special tips for cleaning this stuff properly, do you just wash it in the sink or do you sterilize, e.g. with vodka (as I saw someone elsewhere post, about something else entirely). I got the thickest they had but it's still kind of floppy, just wasn't sure if it would be hard to wrangle in the sink or if there is some other way

Cakepro Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 10:19pm
post #19 of 33

Just take a warm soapy sponge to it while its spread out on your work surface. Follow with several clean water wipe-downs, and dry thoroughly. Roll around a gift-wrap tube and store.

whaley_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whaley_s Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 10:31pm
post #20 of 33

Hmmm, I've never had a problem with my vinyl not sticking to the table I'm working on... Mind you my table is glass so maybe that's why.

Buying my vinyl was the best thing I ever did!!

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 10:45pm
post #21 of 33

If I may jump in here...so you roll your fondant on the vinyl and then just invert it over your cakes? This is so you don't have to pick it up like pizza dough and lay it on? Sounds really interesting, I had not heard of this.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 10:55pm
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

The last wedding cake I did required that I roll the fondant out to 30". I used Crisco on the vinyl and flipped that fondant right onto that cake with the fondant still on the vinyl (which is definitely not my preferred method - I like the rolled side of the fondant to be the topside). I peeled the vinyl off of the fondant with no problems at all.

I also keep several smaller pieces for smaller cakes, as I prefer the vinyl over any of my Wilton mats. It's great for rolling out gumpaste too.

I have two peices that are equal in size and I flip on onto the other if I want the rolled side face up. Then I use that one to flip it onto the cake.

whaley_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whaley_s Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:03pm
post #23 of 33

Penny - Ya, just like that! SOOOOO simple! And cheap! As a pp said, it's only about $3 for a yard, and I bought 1/2 of that and then cut it into 2 equal squares so I've got 2 surfaces!

I also use it for rolling out nfsc! Works great!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:14pm
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by missnnaction

The decorative/lace vinyls are also good to use if you want an impression on your fondant...It's just like using an impression mat..

Is this decorative vinyl available at Walmart too?

I love using the vinyl to roll out fondant, it also helps when i marble fondant, because I can choose which side I like best. I knead a little crisco into the fondant, then roll out. I store it rolled around my rolling pin or a gift wrap tube.

shoup_family Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoup_family Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:15am
post #25 of 33

How much does it affect the look of fondant to have crisco on the mat so it doesn't stick??

Thanks!

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 2:43am
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyty

Quote:
Originally Posted by missnnaction

Is this decorative vinyl available at Walmart too?

I love using the vinyl to roll out fondant, it also helps when i marble fondant, because I can choose which side I like best. I knead a little crisco into the fondant, then roll out. I store it rolled around my rolling pin or a gift wrap tube.

I purchased mine at hobby lobby but have recently seen it at hancock fabric on the sale table in the back.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 2:50am
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoup_family

How much does it affect the look of fondant to have crisco on the mat so it doesn't stick??

Thanks!

The fondant will have a slight sheen to it. You can also use powdered sugar or cornstarch. I find if I use crisco it is harder to roll thin b/c it does not slide across the vinyl. If I need a large piece I will use powdered sugar. Or I will start with crisco, flip the fondant onto my other piece of vinyl that has powdered sugar on it and finish it there. Play around and find out what works best for you.

Cakepro Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 6:34am
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanahodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I have two peices that are equal in size and I flip on onto the other if I want the rolled side face up. Then I use that one to flip it onto the cake.

HA! What a perfect solution! I never thought of that. icon_redface.gif Thanks for sharing! icon_biggrin.gif

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 2:49pm
post #29 of 33

I haven't done this but I remember it coming up a while back and I was under the impression that the fondant was rolled in between two pieces of vinyl. Has anyone tried that?? Thinking that would be great to have the two choices of smoothed fondant to decide which one to lay topside on your cake.

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 2:51pm
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

You can also use it to make your own impression mats........ Just place the vinyl over a picture, or words, or ANYTHING you want to copy. Use your hot glue gun to trace the image, and when it dries, you can press it against your BC OR fondant and then pipe over it in the color you wish..... Just remember, if you are using it for lettering, you must reverse it or it will be backwards on your cake.......

I want to be sure I understand this. So using the hot glue gun--without glue, right?--but using it hot to trace the design, right?

Love to hear more!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%