Cold Porcelain/cake Decorating?????

Decorating By bakedandiced Updated 11 Oct 2006 , 7:44am by Briarview

bakedandiced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakedandiced Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 11:07am
post #1 of 5

Okay this may be a stupid question, but I was searching Ebay for decorating books and kept coming across ones titled Cold Porcelain cake decorating. icon_confused.gif My interest is piqued, I am curious to know what this is. Is it just like it sounds.... If anyone knows I would love to hear the explanation. TIA

4 replies
boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 11:23am
post #2 of 5

Cold Porcelian is just how it sounds, you can make it and use it for cake decorating just like making gumpaste figures or flowers only they are porcelian. The only thing I found is you need to work quickly especially if it is part of a eg: train for instance as it shrinks about 30% so if you make one piece make all the rest at the same time or thereabouts. It is really easy to make and you need acriyllic paints to color or paint.

Yes I have made it and found out the hard way about the shrinkage. But as they say live and learn.

bakedandiced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakedandiced Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the answer, perhaps I will check out one of these books.

lazylola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lazylola Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 4:21am
post #4 of 5

cold porcelain is a argentinian paste. that works like a modeling clay. it is not ediable. It looks great for flowers but just tell your guests that is like eating the cake topper. it is usually made with corn starch, face cream and glyserin. I have lots of books but they are all in spanish.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 7:44am
post #5 of 5

Over here we are not allowed to place cold porcelain flowers etc directly onto the cakes. It is amazing how each country varies. I watched a program on the food channel and this famous cake decorator (can't remember her name but she decorates for the stars) place flowers on wires directly into the cake. Here it also is a no no.
I have never had a go at making cold porcelain but did intend to. You see these things at conventions and you are all fired up when you get home but it seems to go out the window.
Cheers Briarview

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%