Bronwen's Buttercream Icing

Decorating By Dixiegal01 Updated 3 Jan 2013 , 6:38pm by troysbbgirl

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 20

Even though I've got a tried and true favorite buttercream icing recipe I'm always on the hunt for something new and different. I noticed this one in the new recipes and wondered if anyone has tried it? I'm sure it's awesome if Bronwen Weber uses it..... I'll be making a cake for my DH tomorrow and thought I would try it out...he's the best guiney pig around (he doesn't mind, that's for sure icon_lol.gif )!!! I haven't used buttermilk in icing yet, will I need to refrigerate the cake?

Bronwen's Buttercream Icing

Chef: Bronwen Weber, Frosted Art Bakery

Ingredients:
1 pound of unsalted butter
2 pounds of 10X powdered sugar
1/4 cup of buttermilk
1.5 tsp good vanilla
1/4 tsp salt

Directions:
In a 5 qt mixer using a paddle attachment, soften the butter. Slowly add sifted sugar. Add salt vanilla and buttermilk. You can adjust the consisitency by adding more buttermilk if you prefer a softer icing. This is a good base icing that can be flavored in many ways.Try adding melted ganache for chocolate buttercream! Chopped pecans or crushed strawberries, coconut, lemon zest.a million possibilities!

19 replies
sweetiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiemama Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 20

I am wondering about this frosting too....does anyone know if it crusts or are the only crusting BC's w/shortening???

Sweetiemama

Dixiegal01 Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 11:59am
post #3 of 20

I'm wondering about the crusting too sweetiemama.....looks like I'll wing it in a few hours, I'll let you know how it turns out

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 12:14pm
post #4 of 20

Please please please let us know. I have a date due tomorrow and I was going to make the frosting today.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 12:26pm
post #5 of 20

I don't know about the "crusting", but it should take some of the sweetness out of the BC....... Sounds WONDERFUL!

Dixiegal01 Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 12:35pm
post #6 of 20

Do you think I should add 1 tbs of meringue powder?

Amanda114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amanda114 Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 12:38pm
post #7 of 20

Yes it crusts and has a WONDERFUL taste. I use the same recipe but didn't know it was hers. I actually use milk or heavy cream instead of buttermilk though. I also use high ratio in mine.
Here is my recipe for a smaller batch:

1 stick butter (room temp)
3/4 cup high ratio or shortening
1tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond
1 1/2 tsp cream bouquet
a few pinches of POPCORN salt
2lb bag KROGER or IMPERIAL brand powedered sugar ( domino has too much cornstarch in it and does not work well for me)
5-6 Tablespoons milk, heavy cream, coffee creamer, whatever you have.

Cream together the butter and shortening in the mixer . Add the flavorings and salt and incorporate well into the creamed butter and shortening. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides. Add the whole bag of PS and restart mixer on LOW. Place a damp dishcloth over the mixer to prevent a PS cloud. As the mixture starts to come together and clump, start adding milk 1Tablespoon at a time. Go up to 5 or six Tbsp and then mix on high for a few minutes till fluffy. Cover or get into a container pretty quickly as it starts to crust soon.

It has an incredible taste and I even freeze some in a zipper bag to use when needed.
It does not need to be refrigerated as the large amount of sugar preserves it. If I keep it for a week or so, I refrigerate, after that I freeze it.

Enjoy

Amanda 114

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 1:00pm
post #8 of 20

Could you use cocoa or candy melts to make it chocolate ?

ljzcrazy4cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljzcrazy4cakes Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 1:08pm
post #9 of 20

Evaporated milk in the recipe also makes it a crusting butter cream.

Dixiegal01 Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 20

Oh my gosh....all I can say is Jenny Craig is probably banning me for life icon_redface.gif , that icing is to die for, it is so good!!!! I did end up adding about 1/2 tsp of meringue and it did crust, I think I should have added a bit more. This icing will be one of my favorites, that's for sure thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 6:12pm
post #11 of 20

I'm going to have to try this recipe, it sounds delicious! icon_smile.gif

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 6:28pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I'm going to have to try this recipe, it sounds delicious! icon_smile.gif

Me too!!! Gonna add it to my recipe box now! Can't wait to make a cake!

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:32am
post #13 of 20

I was really glad to see this recipe posted. The place where I've taken cake decorating classes has a Bronwen Weber class where she shows you how to make a topsy turvy cake, but she doesn't give you the recipe for the buttercream, cake, etc. She provides all the supplies, cake, and icing. The class is $250 (so i didn't take it) and shhe wouldn't give out any recipes.

sweetiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiemama Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 3:31pm
post #14 of 20

Thanks Dixiegal, glad to know it is good too! icon_lol.gif I will try this on my next cake. Sounds like any milk/cream will substitute in this....thanks everyone!

Sweetiemama

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 5:12pm
post #15 of 20

Anyone know how well/long it stores in the fridge/freezer? Im wanting to try this too. It sounds great.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 5:20pm
post #16 of 20

Oh my...sounds delicious! Can't wait to try this one....I can't imagine how it tastes with buttermilk, but I bet it's divine. Dixiegal....can you elaborate on the "taste" of the icing? Thank you so much for trying it and posting your results!

pinklady1356 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklady1356 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 5:23pm
post #17 of 20

It sounds great. I can't wait to try that.

pinklady icon_smile.gif

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 5:25pm
post #18 of 20

Does it need the merengue powder to crust? Is it less sweet than other xxx BC?

Krisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krisy Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 7:33pm
post #19 of 20

I'm curious on the "sweetness" too. I've been using Buttercream Dream!

troysbbgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
troysbbgirl Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 6:38pm
post #20 of 20

AI worked with Bronwen in Dallas and this was not the recipe we used. But I guess this post was five years ago too so maybe it was back then. I need a great buttercream recipe!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%