Need Opinions On A Space For "rent"

Business By CakeEscape Updated 12 Aug 2007 , 4:32pm by OhMyGanache

CakeEscape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEscape Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 6:33am
post #1 of 6

Alright so I was reading a thread on here about those who rent kitchen space, and I read the advice to post an ad on Craigslist. So I did.

I got a response. I went to go see the kitchen and it has 2 ovens work tables, storage space. I can use the space whenever I want to before hours, after hours, during hours whatever. The only thing I would need to bring in really is my equipment (cake deco, pans, mixer, refridgerator) not a problem. The ladys business is pretty much she is a personal chef/caterer but she doesnt do desserts. She has requests for them but she just really doesnt like to do it. Its not her forte. Shes a chef, not a pastry chef. Sooo she talked about she would definitely refer her already exsisting clientele to me. She gave me a range of 300-500 a month plus utlities based upon what space we need ect, which we are still spinning the wheels on this one.

Seems like a offer too good to pass up right? I think so too. Here is where my concern is. There is a 3rd person coming in who does like these box lunches for corporations, and she does some baking.. which the owner and I dont really see her as a conflict of interest because our focus is on a gourmet level, and our targets are different. My concern really lies in the fact that this lady is bringing in a convection oven, and needs X amt of space and is going to be there during normal operating hours.

Im trying to figure out how fair this utilities thing is going to play out. Does a convection use more electricity? Because I would be using the "regular ovens" which are gas. Plus I would only be in there half the time that they are ( even though I realize I have the option to be in there longer) its just not needed. So Im really hung up on this 3rd of the utilites. I want to say.. 300 a month plus utilities or 500 a month with no utilities. I just need help seeing the big picture here. Just the way it sounded was that this other lady was coming in with all these "needs" and Im not that needy lol. I just want to make sure its fair. Plus Im just getting started and this has to work because I dont have the money to pay the rent on this place.. I have to break even. If I dont turn a profit.. thats ok.. I need to break even. So... I guess Im scared. But since I cant bake at home legally.. this *is* the logical next step. I just dont want to carry more than "my" load. I would love to hear what you all think. Im pretty sure Im going to do it because its too good to pass up, especially with referrals to her clients, plus she does dinner parties and she was talking about maybe we could partner up if her clients we interested and such. Talk some since into me ladies and gents.

5 replies
cakesuzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesuzette Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 6

I would talk to the lady who's renting to you. Just say- "about the utilities, since she uses convestion and I don't is there a way to spilt it up evenly?" or something along those lines.

Kind of like when you go to a restaurant with a group and everyone pitches in. You don't want to divide it up and end up paying a lot more than you should.

Good luck!

Abrac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abrac Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 6

Convection ovens are designed to reduce the baking time about 1/3. But, in Calinfornia our Gas bills are always lower than our Electric bills. I use a digital gas/electric oven. It reduces both bills because it doesn't depend on only one source of power. Also, I have been searching for a kitchen space to rent & their asking up to $600-$1000 monthly for rent in spaces that are co-op. So, I would make the necessary changes& write up that contract. SIGN it!SIGN it! I wish you luck. Also, regardless of the cheap rent you must feel confortable w/the situation. But, you can always request a trial phase.

CakeEscape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEscape Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 6

Thats exactly what I am saying too about the utilities. You wouldnt go tot a restaurant to eat with 10 ppl and say HEY! Lets split it 10 ways! Because the guy who got Kobe steak, is paying the same as the guy who got soup and salad, but I was wondering if that was all too trivial? If this "seems" like a good opportunity. Ive divided it out and if I work in there 24 days a month (6 days a week) regardless how many hours im there at most its going to be is $20 a day. Because like I mentioned im thinking of telling her 300 plus utlities or $500 flat.

Do I have the right to ask what her rent is? She says she only needs help because they guy who owned the building sold it and he was cutting her a deal and the new owners realized she wasnt paying per sq footage so they are raising the rent come october.

Abrac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abrac Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 1:20am
post #5 of 6

icon_surprised.gif I agree 100%! Kobe beef vs sp/sld, not fair. I don't think you should ask here what her rent is, but, you as a renter also should have the right to full disclosure. I think that you should consider requesting a flat rental amount to avoid flucutations in the utilities. As the seasons change in CA our utilities have a rate hike during the winter season. And, if you're paying $300+utitilites & the costs rise who will be responsible for the difference? Kobe beef guy or sp/sld guy? You go girl!

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 6

I'd find out if she even has the right to sub-let (or whatever you call this situation). I asked a former employer about renting their kitchen and they told me that it was specifically in their contract that they could not.

As for splitting utilities, who cares who uses more? Unless you're going to keep track of who used what equipment for what time period - it's just too much headache. Think of any roommate situation - each pays a share of the utilities, no matter what. Perhaps one person uses more electricity, but someone else may be using a lot more hot water. I think it all evens out. And if it doesn't? Well, you're still getting a great deal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%