Homemade Christmas Gifts

Decorating By erinkalins Updated 13 Oct 2006 , 2:40pm by debbie2881

erinkalins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinkalins Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 26

Hello everyone, I know its a bit early, but I am trying to plan ahead as to better enjoy the holiday season this year. I was hoping you all might have some good ideas for homemade gifts! Thanks!

25 replies
AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 12:30am
post #2 of 26

Personally, I love to buy the christmas tins from the dollar store and fill them with my homemade fudge. Everyone loves it! It surprises me how many people can't make fudge or just don't so when they get it, they are very pleased! icon_smile.gif

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 12:37am
post #3 of 26

Homemade Peanut Brittle or Homemade Sugared Pecans

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:40am
post #4 of 26

Yep, I have gotten orders for christmas already for 6 cookie bouquets, and 5 -1lb boxes of fudge. With the fudge I bought treat boxes from Michaels that I will line with a piece of parchment paper then tissue paper for decoration. On the outside of the box I have a matching bow. Hope this helps.

BTW- this is off the topic sort of but would anyone know of a tool that I could use to "score/cut" the fudge in clean cuts besides just using a knife?

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:48am
post #5 of 26

Princess3-I pour my fudge into a aluminum foil lined and greased pan. I wait for it to set, then pull it out onto the counter and cut it with my extra large Pampered Chef pizza cutter. It works like a champ-cuts really clean and really quick.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:51am
post #6 of 26

We do baskets and will do them again this year. We do a lot of canning (pickles, chow chow, pickles eggs, hot green tomatoes, jellies and preserves). We normally put the baskets together depending on the person. My mom likes grape jelly so we do it with a mini loaf of homemade bread, sweet pickles, and then add the sweets (fudge, cookies and petite fours). I have a friend that we do a salsa and chip basket and add in a candy I make that is crushed oreos with almonds mixed in chocolate to make candies for her husband. He loves it.

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 3:53am
post #7 of 26

I buy those Christmas tins at walmart, too. I fill them with either sugared pecans/almonds or choc cov pretzels on the bottom, pecan triangles (like pecan pie-but finger food) pumpkin bars and truffles in the center. My kids teachers love me! icon_biggrin.gif

Princess3 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 26

mgdqueen- wow! I had never thought of that. That would be a great way to cut them. Now I need to purchase a small scale. I think my fudge yields 3 lbs a batch so cut into 3rds for 1 lb batches! I still would like a scale for accuracy! Thanks for the tip!

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 8:19pm
post #9 of 26

I do goodie baskets for people for Christmas. A couple of years ago, I bought some plastic Christmas containers at Walmart that were on clearance following Christmas. I also have some cellophane, ribbons, and crinkle paper that I can use for my goodies.

As far as the goodies go, I always like to try out new things each year. I try to do a variety of different things. I also make sure that not everything is the same, for example, I try to make sure not everything has chocolate in it, or peanut butter, and so forth. That way it changes things up. I usually do different types of cookies, fudge, and so forth.

Here's a question I've asked before and I'll ask it again. When you're giving goodies out to people, what do you think is better, making a larger variety of different goodies but only giving smaller servings per person (2-3 pieces) or make fewer different items but give each person more servings of each (4-5 pieces)?

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 10:47pm
post #10 of 26

I prefer to give out larger variety and smaller portions. I think it looks really nice to have to many different varieties of goodies on a tray or in a basket.

Princess3-no problem! I use that pizza cutter for just about everything! If you are getting a scale-don't waste your money on a little one. Spend once on a larger scale that will measure several pounds. You will probably use it more in the future and will not have to buy two! It's also great for weighing ingredients for breads or cakes...and more accurate than measuring cups.

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 11:58pm
post #11 of 26

Great thread!!! I bake lots and lots of Christmas cookies. I give some of those away, but all of our friends want me to give them fudge. They all like the chocolate fudge but their favorite is peanutbutter fudge. This past year I made these great chocolate covered peanuts that you cook in the crock pot and then I used a cookie scoop to make little mounds. A few years back I baked mini loaves of flavored bread to give away. I like giving away homemade gifts to our friends and family. One thing that I do for my MIL is to make her favorite cookie dough, I scoop it in to individual cookies balls, then freeze them . Once frozen I put them in a ziploc bag that has instructions on how to bake. That way she can bake a few at a time and she can have fresh cookies for several months.

Oh....and thanks for the pizza cutter idea for cutting fudge. I can't wait to try it. icon_biggrin.gif

Mandymiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandymiel Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:13am
post #12 of 26

For my parents and in-laws I always give out goodie baskets. I did a tea themed basket with a good quality loose leaf tea, some cookies, and a pretty tea strainer. I also did a coffee baskets. I use cloth napkins to line the baskets, that way everything is useful.

morphis1208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morphis1208 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:18am
post #13 of 26

Ohara- I like the idea that you said about the chocolate covered peanuts in the crock pot are you willing to let me in on the recipe/techinque? icon_biggrin.gif

Also thanks for the pizza cutter idea on the fudge. What a great idea.

baker2699 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker2699 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:26am
post #14 of 26

I want to do this for Christmas also, and I may be cheap but anyone who has a child who was on formula... my goodness all the cans...... well I saved mine (the bigger ones) because I thought I could do something with them I have washed them all and pulled off the label and I will decorate them later, but I plan on filling them up with Christmas goodies I think one of the more popular things with my friends and family is pretzel sticks dipped in chocolate with sprinkles or nuts dropped on them

Happy Baking icon_biggrin.gif

Ohara Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:27am
post #15 of 26

morphis1208....as soon as I find my recipe I will pm you with it.

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:37am
post #16 of 26

wow i never thought of all these things. great thread. i did think about giving away cakes but so hard to ship if you need to. i need to get looking for some recipes to make these different things and see how they come out. anyone got any recipes they can share i would really appreciate it.

millionairess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millionairess Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:56am
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohara

morphis1208....as soon as I find my recipe I will pm you with it.

"I have a friend that we do a salsa and chip basket and add in a candy I make that is crushed oreos with almonds mixed in chocolate to make candies for her husband. He loves it."

Patticakesnc, Those candies sound delicious. Mind sharing your recipe?
Thanks

millionairess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millionairess Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 12:57am
post #18 of 26

Oh, sorry , dont know how to use the quote box yet.

mommykicksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommykicksbutt Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 11:13pm
post #19 of 26

I'll sometimes give homemade gift certificates for decorated cakes to be used within the up coming year.

I make homemade beer and wine for the holidays and give that to the beer and wine drinkers I know. For this Halloween I have pumpkin beer to brew for a party.

Also, I'll get the large canning jars and layer my "cowboy cookie" recipe in it and attach the directions for making and baking and give that to the cookie/chocolate lovers. I also make a hot chocolate and a hot spiced tea mix in the clear canning jars too as gifts.

Ohara Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 11:38pm
post #20 of 26

mommykicksbutt wrote

Quote:
Quote:

I'll sometimes give homemade gift certificates for decorated cakes to be used within the up coming year.

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing icon_biggrin.gif

Jennifer

Princess3 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 11:55pm
post #21 of 26

I would like to have that recipe too for the chocolate covered peanuts YUMMY!

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 9:14pm
post #22 of 26

Another idea for a homemade gift is to do a "night at the movies" package. I've seen these at our local popcorn supplier and they are really neat. Basically they take a basket (they also use plastic containers in the shape of a popcorn box) and put in there 2 20oz bottles of pop, 2 candies (usually a king size Kit Kat and a long licorice rope), some packs of microwave popcorn, and a gift card to Blockbuster. If you want to do something like this, all you would need to do is fill a basket with the person's favorite pop and candy, including some microwave popcorn or fresh popcorn, and either a gift certificate to a local video store or even a DVD. This would look very fancy and depending on all the things you put in it, it could be done fairly inexpensively.

Another idea would be to do a few different types of popcorn. You could do a regular popcorn, a cheesy popcorn, carmel popcorn, and/or popcorn drizzled with some chocolate.

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 9:26pm
post #23 of 26

Here is a link to the recipe for the peanut candy:

http://www.recipezaar.com/18955

I made it last year and it was a big hit!!

Cindy

debbie2881 Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 9:56pm
post #24 of 26

cindy6250 thank you for the link to that recipe it sounds delish and i cant wait to try it. 2 questions though.

can i find german chocolate bars in my regular grocery?

what is white almod bark? and can i find that also in the regular grocery?

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 10:32pm
post #25 of 26

Yes, the german chocolate bars are with the baking chocolate. The white almond bark is similar to white chocolate and is also found on the baking isle with the chocolate. Hope this helps.

That recipe makes a lot of candy. I think you will really like it.

Cindy

debbie2881 Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 2:40pm
post #26 of 26

Thank you cindy, i cant wait to get started. only i have to wait a few months icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%