The Cake That Am Making

Decorating By GLORIA2005 Updated 14 Jul 2005 , 3:19pm by Darstus

GLORIA2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GLORIA2005 Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 3:47am
post #1 of 12

am going to make a cake for someone and she brought me a pic well the pic is from cake-jewelry beacause she planning to buy one of the jewelry to use for her topper well someone could go to there web site its www.cake-jewelry.com and look at and tell me how I could do that its 4 tiere plain square cake with the red roses am not really sure if the what its holding up the cake if its hidden pillars or what and am not sure if its 2 inch between the tiers and if someone could tell me how much would you charge to make cake like that she was going to buy the topper her self? if someone could go to the web site and then send me info?

11 replies
susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 3:53am
post #2 of 12

it looks to me like there is pillar seperating the layer and the flowers are covering them. i think you can make it 2 inches if you want. if you make it more then you would need more flowers. sorry cant help you with the price im not good witht hat yet.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 12

Hi Gloria,
I am making the same cake(only with Yellow roses). I gave the florist the measurements and a picture, they will provide the flowers. the bride is providing her own topper.

The layers are mixed, chocolate w/rasperry and white w/coconut cream.
The tiers are 14" 12" 10" and 8". All of it will be served. I charged her $2.50 a serving, and bake from scratch.

I am using dowels to separate the tiers far enough for the flowers, about 1 3/4 inches.

JoAnn

sheilaattaway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilaattaway Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 12

You can pick up a kit from micheals to do this. It fairly easy to set up. I would charge and I would charge what joann would.

GLORIA2005 Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 12

am wondering if could use push in pillars for a cake that or do you need to use rods JoannB can you send me pic when you make it how are you going to put the roses on are just going to lay them on cake or use spikes

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 5:33am
post #6 of 12

Push in pillars have a narrow base, and I find they are not as stable as the straw-like Wilton dowels. The roses are "clean" so I will just set them on the cake, tucked partly under the plate above. I won't have construction photos until August 27.

GLORIA2005 Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 12

how much frosting do you think a cake like this well need the bride wants whipped topping frosting?

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 12

Hi Gloria...Do you know how many guests you are expecting to feed? I did a square wedding cake for someone...but I used sizes 12", 10", 8", and 6". The wedding was for around 100 people...I think I charged her 225.00. I am not sure I would use whipped icing though. I don't have much experience with it...but I think buttercream might work better for this cake. But that is just my opinion. Hope it all works out!
traci

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 12:05am
post #9 of 12

Gloria:
I recently posted a cake similar ro this only round. I also needed small space to put roses between the tiers. the bride was very specific wanting 2 inches only. I purchased styrofoam at a craft store which was 2 inches to put between tiers. Then I inserted the rose stems in these. The stems were pretty flaccid so I used a sharpened dowel rod to make the holes first. No pillars to deal with and no fear of them showing

If you have a Wilton yearbook, it has a gyuide that will tell you how much icing you will need to cover the size cakes you are making. I always make extra as it doesn't always include enough for the border, etc. This will also have the guide for how many people each size will feed.icon_smile.gif

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 3:20pm
post #10 of 12

Darstus
Your cake is beautiful. did you use any dowels between the layers? What were the sizes of your cakes. I love this look. I need to make a cake for an outdoors Sweet 16. Again your cake is amazing!

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 3:34pm
post #11 of 12

Darstus - Great job - and a great idea. Did you use fresh flowers?

I am doing one of these cakes this weekend and have thought about using oasis and a small dish - The bride has ordered 12 doz roses for me to use and she wants about 4 to 5 inches of flowers - about the same size as a cake tiers. I am slightly nervous about doing it because I have never done one with so many flowers. My ony concern is the weight of the oasis from the water in it. If I could use styrofoam instead it would be lighter -- What do you think?

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 3:19pm
post #12 of 12

briansbaker- thanks for the comment. Yes, I did place dowel rods in the cake tiers for support. The cake sizes were 6, 10, amd 14.

gma1956-these were fresh flowers. If you want to have the "flower" tiers 4 inches, you can use a 4 inch styrofoam dummy. Just get the styrofoam that is not pressed as it would be a liitle harder to punch holes, I would think. If you can't find the craft foam in 4 inch, just glue 2 of the 2 inch together! The florist provided me with about 65-70 roses for this cake and there were a few left over. What you use may vary based on the size of the roses. I had some open ones and some that were still slightly closed.The roses on the top were placed in a mound of buttercream. I set this up about 2-3 hours before the reception and, according to the bride's mother and my son who attended, the flowers looked great! No oasis or dish used. The styrofoam really did make it easy and lighter. This is good as I have seen some caterers pick up the entire assembled cake and transport it to the kitchen for cutting!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%