Thank You Melvira (I Guess Thats Who Invented This)

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 13 Aug 2007 , 1:43am by Melvira

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 19

I have read all about the viva paper towel way of smoothing buttercream..I never could get it to work unless I spent an hour smoothing. So I always stuck to my messy hot knife and wiping and god, I hated buttercream!

So I had this cake to do that was going to be covered with fondant strips on top of buttercream and decided to try these rollers. I figured if it didnt work, then I only have to cover the yecky spots with fondant.

It was very easy, very fast..I still need practice on the edges, but I just love the results!!!

So thank you Mr or Ms Melvira...!
LL

18 replies
Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 19

I'd like to add my thanks also! I have never been able to smooth a cake to my satisfaction until I read her tips & instructions with the roller method. God bless you, Melvira, for sharing with us!

Shelle

PS Love your cake, Loriemoms!

beetle1948 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beetle1948 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 12:10am
post #3 of 19

I think she should be put in the Cake Hall of Fame
(if they were a cake hall of fame).

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 12:11am
post #4 of 19

Well I am happy for you! And your cake looks gorgeous!!

But I still can't do it right icon_sad.gif Can I ask what recipe you used? And how long after icing the cake did you wait before "melvira-ing" it? icon_confused.gif

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 12:19am
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

Well I am happy for you! And your cake looks gorgeous!!

But I still can't do it right icon_sad.gif Can I ask what recipe you used? And how long after icing the cake did you wait before "melvira-ing" it? icon_confused.gif

Me either icon_cry.gif I ended up giving my roller to my boys to paint with icon_cry.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 2:27am
post #6 of 19

I use a recipe I invented, after having to deal with humid summers, not having a fridge big enough to put all my cakes in and being able to do assembly line work. It is made up with hi ratio shortening only, and I think that helos a lot with the smoothness.

I think any good crusting buttercream works. The big secret though is to mix your buttercream at a vewy low speed , with the mixer FULL for about 10 minutes. Let it get nice and smooth. Then let it sit overnight. This will obsorb all the sugar and make it even smoother. I make big batches at a time and freeze it in 2 lb tubs I bought at CK Products (they are just white tubs)

I am a crumb crust type of person and I crumb coat, and let it crust and di the rolling, then did my final coat, let it crust and then smoothed again.
I even did this method for a fondant cake and the fondant went on much nicer and smoother too! I dont know how long it took to crust, as I line up all my cakes and just frost away. Maybe 15 minutes?

Don't press too hard and do nice long strokes. I wish there was a curved tool to do "corners" for square cakes! Wouldn't that be cool?

Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 2:33am
post #7 of 19

I ahve yet to try the Melvira Method (I can't spend monay on the stuff-there's too much other cake stuff to buy icon_biggrin.gif )

Here is photo that I used the Viva method on. I Love it and it works great Every time!!

PM me if you want the recipe!!

Beezaly Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 2:37am
post #8 of 19

dunce.gif

here are the pictures...

Beezaly Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 2:37am
post #9 of 19

Grrrr....

They did not upload. I will try this one more time.

Because now I'm just determined to get it up icon_biggrin.gif

Beezaly Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 2:40am
post #10 of 19

lets see
LL

baergarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baergarivera Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 2:49am
post #11 of 19

Beezaly
That cake is so beautiful just love it. Can you please email me that recipe at [email protected]

Thank you in advance for that

God Bless Michelle icon_rolleyes.gifthumbs_up.gif

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 2:55am
post #12 of 19

What beautiful cakes, both of you.

I did a cake last weekend and used my favorite Melvira method as well. When the hubby was cutting the cake our friend said, none for me, I don't like fondant. icon_smile.gif

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 2:58am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchristi27

What beautiful cakes, both of you.

I did a cake last weekend and used my favorite Melvira method as well. When the hubby was cutting the cake our friend said, none for me, I don't like fondant. icon_smile.gif

WOW now THAT is some compliment! He complimented you without even knowing it! LOL! Is that cake posted in your photos?

icon_smile.gif

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 1:08pm
post #14 of 19

I use Melvira with any crusting buttercream or cream cheese recipe. I let it crust for about 15 minutes. I start out rolling it with a piece of parchment between the roller & icing. Then I give it a final "go-over" with just the roller. I have also tried this with my pampered chef hand rolling pin thingy and it works well, too!

Shelle

lchristi27 Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 1:31pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

WOW now THAT is some compliment! He complimented you without even knowing it! LOL! Is that cake posted in your photos?

icon_smile.gif

Nope, new camera. Just figured out how to hook it up to pc once the teenager got home icon_lol.gif

Here it tis..
LL

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 4:37pm
post #16 of 19

Hi guys! Thank you lchristi27 for pointing me to this thread! I just want to say thanks to all of you who have tried it, and liked it! To those of you who are having trouble, DON'T GIVE UP!! Once you 'get it' you won't believe it! If you are having a specific problem, feel free to let me know and I'll see if I can't figure out what is going wrong for you. icon_wink.gif It's really quite easy, but there are a few things that can stand in your way!

And, BTW... this IS the cake hall of fame! Hearing people tell me how much easier it is for them, or how much work I've saved them, or how many compliments they get, that is the best 'prize' I could receive. Threads like this make me feel so special!! (Oh.... and it's MRS. Melvira!! Hahahahaha! icon_lol.gif ) Thanks again to all of you!!!

lchristi27 Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 9:14pm
post #17 of 19

Thank you! Mrs. Melvira darling, you have saved me many a headache and time with this method. People LOVE it.

The guy who said he 'didnt like fondant' is a home repair type. When I told him how I did it, he is like that is genius! Then he told me to stay out of his tool box icon_smile.gif

lchristi27 Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 9:42pm
post #18 of 19

Thank you! Mrs. Melvira darling, you have saved me many a headache and time with this method. People LOVE it.

The guy who said he 'didnt like fondant' is a home repair type. When I told him how I did it, he is like that is genius! Then he told me to stay out of his tool box icon_smile.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:43am
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchristi27

...Then he told me to stay out of his tool box icon_smile.gif

But...but... there are so many good cake toys in there!!!! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%