Cindy_S Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy_S Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 13

I used 4 cups Crisco
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup milk
16 cups powder sugar

Yes it was a double batch. Had to try out my new mixer and wanted some left over to practice with. Anyway, the mixer handled it just fine. The icing was creamy and tasted good. Took some out and placed in another bowl and thinned down to crumb coat. It didn't crust either. But I thought maybe I thinned it to much. So I just added what I had mixed up that was not thinned down and it did not crust either. I placed it in the fridge for awhile didn't crust. Added more powder sugar and mixed and added more icing. (good thing my dad likes alot of icing..lol) Placed back in fridge. It kinda sorta crusted but not like I was hoping or like it had before.

Use to when I made buttercream and it crusted real well was
1 cup Crisco
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 to 4 cups powdered sugar
3 to 7 tablespoons water
This always crusted so good but I used the other buttercream recipe I posted that I got from here from somebody but can't remember who it was now.

What do you think was the problem? I call it a diseaster. My husband said it was not a diseaster I just need more practice. This is only my 4th cake I have made. And still right now, it's been done for a good hour or longer and the icing is still soft.
LL

12 replies
missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 13

I have a couple of thoughts -

1 - no meringue powder. All of my crusting BC uses meringue. Powder. 1 Tablespoon per cup of crisco/butter.

2 - too much liquid. My recipe is 1/2 of this, and I use about 1/3 cup of water/milk for medium consistancy.

I have been experimenting with different BC's, and I'm finding that some crust better than others. I have a white chocolate/cream cheese icing that crusts beautifully and can do simple borders with, but for stiff consistancy for roses and the like, I need to stick with Wilton's all crisco BC.

Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 13

Did you use the "new" trans-fat free Crisco? I have heard that it's difficult to crust over.
I never put meringue powder in my icing and it always crusts......I think it's only for things like royal icing to take the place of egg whites.

Roelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roelle Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 13

My recipe is the Wilton recipe, which has always worked well for me:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup crisco
1 tsp. vanilla (or whatever flavouring you want)
4 cups icing sugar
2-3 TBLSP milk *add milk to achieve consistency you want*

This recipe makes enough for one 8" two layer cake. I also make the chocolate version which is absolutely lovely.

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 13

I also use the one Roelle uses and the chocolate one, and have never had a problem with it crusting.............I do believe you have too much liquid in your recipe...........maybe cut the milk by 1/3...............I don't put meringue powder in my BC, and it crusts beautifully, so does my crusting cream cheese...............sometimes it just takes some experimenting.

Cindy_S Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 13

Yeah I think it's to much liquid too now. I will just stick to what I know will work. The other cakes I made crusted fine with my other recipe. I have never used meringue powder either.
How do you make the chocolate version? Maybe I will try the 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco next time.
And right now I have the Wal-Mart brand Crisco (and I used it for my other cakes too that turned out fine). Don't see anywhere on the can where it's trans fat free.[/u]

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 13

chocolate verssion:
1/2C Shortening
1/2C butter
4cups Sifted PS
3/4C cocoa powder like Hershey's
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 TBS of milk........you may need a little more with the added powdered Hersheys

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:18pm
post #8 of 13

I too agree that there was too much liquid. Also, I am not sure where you are located, but it is REALLY hot and humid here right now and that seems to affect how my icing crusts sometimes.

Good luck!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmeg

1 - no . All of my crusting BC uses meringue. Powder. 1 Tablespoon per cup of crisco/butter.

You do not have to have meringue powder to have crusting icing.

Crusting depends on the sugar to fat ratio. If you have more sugar then it will crust more/faster. If you have more fat then it will crust less/slower and in some cases not at all.

Consider Wilton's basic recipes. They usually have 1 cup of fat to 1lb (4 cups) of sugar. This will usually crust in 10 to 15 mins. If you use use 1 cup of fat to 2lbs of sugar it will crust alot faster. If you use 2 cups of fat to 1lb of sugar it will be alot slower to crust.

And there is a point where it won't crust at all. The Whimiscal Bakehouse is a recipe that doesn't crust because of the amount of fat in it.

To the orginal poster, I think it was likely too much liquid as well. Did it seem really soft to work with?

Cindy_S Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 8:56pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

To the orginal poster, I think it was likely too much liquid as well. Did it seem really soft to work with?

Yes it was soft and to touch the icing now that is on the cake, it's still soft. I knew when I was mixing it up it was creamy and I didn't know how creamy or not it needed to be since I never used this recipe.
It wasn't even wanting to stick to the cake. Which it taste good. I also made cupcakes with the icing too and hubby has already sampled them..lol.
I thought with my orginial recipe it wasn't enough liquid. But I was using a handmixer and thought it wasn't enough. Now I have a Cook's brand and I think what I was using before would work out fine. I see some other's also use very little liquid.
To the one's who use 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco, have you ever tried all crisco? If so what is the difference between the 2?

Southerncake, I'm in Mississippi. Very hot and humid here too!!!

mkmetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkmetz Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 9:14pm
post #11 of 13

I have to agree with southerncake. I'm in NC and I made a cake last night. I used the same buttercream recipe I always use and it didn't crust well. I guess 110 degrees and high humidity will do that (even though my house is cool). I always put the cake in the frige overnight as well, but this time when I took it out the frosting started to "sweat" and I had to pat it with a papertowel. I was just thinking of changing my frosting recipe, but perhaps it is just the humidity. icon_cool.gif

Roelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roelle Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 9:33pm
post #12 of 13

Butter is definitely for flavour in the icing, and the crisco adds stability. I've tried all butter, and it didn't work out very well ... but I imagine the all crisco would work, but you wouldn't have that wonderful buttery flavour.

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 2:17am
post #13 of 13

i think there is a high humidity recipe on this website !!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%