Royal Icing Flowers

Decorating By ctackett Updated 27 Sep 2007 , 9:02pm by JSadlak

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 7

Hello it's me again. You guys are probably getting tired of hearing from me. I am doing a wedding cake next week. The reception is in the family barn. It's supposed to be 89 degrees next Saturday. I have decided (thanks to tips from fellow CCrs) to used fondant covered cakes (made 10# last night) Anyway...I want to make red roses for the cake. Does Royal icing melt as quick as BC? Would you suggest to use Royal on Fondant? I've never used royal icing. I am a B/C decorator from way back. The wedding is at 4:30, which I amsupposed to attend and they probably wont cut cake til 7:00.

6 replies
sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 7

Royal icing only 'melts' from grease that I know of. It dries hard and can be used on fondant. Are you planning on making the roses ahead of time and letting them dry completely and then placing on the cake? Or just piping them onto the cake? I think either way should work. Just remember, all your utensils must be grease free!

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 7

I am letting them dry

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 7

I love doing RI roses. I refuse to make BC ones anymore because my tips always crack.

You'll find that piping RI is very similar to BC - actually a bit smoother.

I haven't used fondant yet, but as someone else said - RI only melts when it comes in prolonged contact with BC. If the roses are already dry, there should be no issue with them being on the fondant cake.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 7

Okay for those that say it melts on BC, does it really melt until a glob in just a few minutes or does it just get softer the longer it sits on the buttercream.

I think pour royal icing gets such a bad wrap. When I took C3 many years ago, we actually spread a little crisco on to wax paper to pipe some royal icing hearts on to help get them off easier once they were dry. The icing dried normally and didn't melt. I have also heard of people using a small amount of crisco in their lily nails to help release the flowers once dry.

Royal is not going to melt from the heat. Now if it was rains they would dissolve, but if it is raining then everyone will be worried about more than just the flowers on the cake. icon_smile.gif

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 7

That's correct texassugar. I've used crisco on my run sugar pieces as well to help release and it doesn't hurt anything. But, if there is grease mixed in (like in the bowl or paddle) it won't solidify but just kind of 'melt'.

I've also put royal flowers onto buttercream. Depending on the size of the flower, they stayed firm for several hours. But my drop flowers did turn into puddles after 8 hours.

There is no issue with royal on fondant though, unless of course you have really high humidity. Since you are going to let me them dry first, you should be fine. Don't forget to post a picture!!!

JSadlak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSadlak Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 9:02pm
post #7 of 7

I have done several cakes using gumpaste roses, I tried making them myself and the gumpaste was very expensive, hard to work with and took a long time. I found this website www.cakedecostore.com who sell hand made gumpaste flowers and decorations is tons of styles, colors, sizes, etc. and they are VERY reasonable. They ship to you within like 3 days of when you place your order, like freaky fast. And they are a great quality. I won't make another flower myself ever again, it's just not worth it when you can buy them so cheap! I sound like an infomercial but honestly, I'm hard to impress and they have done it. You can't beat their quality for the price.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%