Coloring Coconut?

Decorating By mommabuda Updated 10 Aug 2007 , 1:49pm by JoJoMick

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 6

I'm going to attempt the awesome bust of Jack Sparrow that's on here today... I was wondering how you color the coconut brown? Also how do you think it should be attached to the fondant? with BC or royal icing? If anyone's attempted this before, any tips would be GREAT! I'm so worried about it... my hubby will help me though (he covers seats for vans so he kinda gets the fondant thing...) Thanks!

5 replies
birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 6

It is easy if you have a jar with a lid, bowl with a lid or even a ziplock bag will work put the coconut inside and add food coloring--if it is paste add a drop or two of water to thin it. Shake the jar/bowl or knead the bag to distribute the color on the coconut. It is ready to go.

kden3980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kden3980 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 6

I have only colored cocont a few times, but everytime I did I put the coconut and food color in a ziploc bag, shake it around and voila, colored coconut! icon_wink.gif As for putting it on the fondant Im not sure on that, hope this helps!

Kara

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 6

Coloring coconut is easy. Put the amount you want into a zip top bag, add some food coloring and mix it like Shake and Bake. Works best with liquid food coloring (or if you don't have any liquid or your coloring is thick, mix with maybe a little water). I like to zap my coconut in a cuisinart to get it to a finer consistency before I color it.

Buttercream should work, just put the coconut on before the BC crusts. Once it sets it should stay on fine.

Good luck!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:45pm
post #5 of 6

Someone told how she got shredded coconut on fondant on her diaper cake. Here's the thread - it's in the first post in the directions:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-376303-diaper.html

Melissa

JoJoMick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJoMick Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, I agree with these comments. I would use the coconut over the BC - - - it'll be a much nicer "mouth experience" than the RI. It won't slice with RI!!! Good luck with Jack Sparrow!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%