My Latest Cake From Start To Finish In Photos!

Decorating By emmascakes Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 1:25am by khoudek

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:13pm
post #1 of 78

I get a lot of PM's asking for cake instructions and, I'll be honest, they annoy me as it takes me forever to make a cake and the thought of then writing start to finish instructions is not a pleasing one! icon_sad.gif (I dont' ever mind questions like 'I'm trying X cake and I'm stuck on how to do Y.' )

So thought I'd take pictures along the way, then I don't have to write any! icon_biggrin.gif Anyway, check out this link:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=11586&l=b27c5&id=694432162
My latest cake, pictured here finished, from beginning to end - the whole chaotic process! If you click on the first picture you can see it as aslideshow and I've put instructions at the bottom of each photo, including what colours I've used etc.

I hope this might be helpful to someone and maybe also explain why I don't generally send out instructions!
LL

77 replies
peeps311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peeps311 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 78

Emma,
Thank you for sharing this with all of us!!! Your cake is beautiful! I will definitely bookmark your page! Thank you soooo much!
You are so talented!~

enchantedmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedmoments Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 78

beautiful I'm tired just looking at all those hours that went into it.

bakenboi29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakenboi29 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:24pm
post #4 of 78

Wow Emma Thanks. You always do awesome cakes and the designs are ahead of their time. Thanks for posting these great pictures and your cake came out awesome. I'm sure the couple rolled over when they saw this cake. You really put a lot of time and work into this. thumbs_up.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:26pm
post #5 of 78

Very cool link Emma! Thanks! I couldn't imagine explaining "how" you made that cake! Good thinking and great job on the cake!

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 78

The couple haven't seen the cake yet, it's due tomorrow, hope they like it!

kden3980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kden3980 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:30pm
post #7 of 78

gorgeous!! Love the way you did the photo instructionsicon_wink.gif

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:30pm
post #8 of 78

WOW! icon_surprised.gif Emma, thanks for doing that! The cake is amazing & the instructions are excellent. (I especially love the commentary!) I'm so impressed that you don't plan beforehand, but just go with your creative muse.

Thanks for sharing!

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:31pm
post #9 of 78

Emma, be glad you live across the pond. I'd be at your door stoop peeking in your windows watching you cake and decorate all the time! icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

Cake stalker!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:33pm
post #10 of 78

I love it! You did an amazing job as always.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:36pm
post #11 of 78

I know you want to write a book, you are well in your way, the explanation is better than many books I have, and the cake is just beautiful!, did you really needed a whole can to cover it? I was wondering how far these little cans would go.
thanks Emma

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:36pm
post #12 of 78

OMG, Emma, you are such an artist!!! You have the touch, that's for sure, what a creative mind you have. I love that you just let your creativity flow as you go. The couple will be in total awe when they see this cake! icon_surprised.gif Your pictures and instructions are perfect (love the commentary too icon_wink.gif ) Thanks for sharing and I'm still trying to pick up my jaw at this point.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:37pm
post #13 of 78

Well done as usual! When will you start making DVD's and books so we can buy?

harmonhouseofraymond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harmonhouseofraymond Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:40pm
post #14 of 78

Emma,

I am such a fan of yours. I am expecting to see you on one of the cake challenge shows one day.

Can I ask how much did it weigh?

Do most of the brides you deal with say here is a color and create what ever you think is best? -

How was the Debbie Brown class? I remember a while ago said you were going.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:42pm
post #15 of 78

Beautiful cake! That was very kind of you to take all those pictures of each step aaaaaaaaaand to share them with US! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:46pm
post #16 of 78

thank you for sharing.

SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:51pm
post #17 of 78

Wow! That is an amazing cake and a tremendous process you went through to create it. Did the bride give you complete control on the design since you said you design the cake as you go?

adriandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adriandrea Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:08pm
post #18 of 78

icon_biggrin.gif Not your only great doing cakes but I have fun reading your instruccions specially with the fussy picture and your brain... believe me, I guess I have been there and the cakes that I have made have nothing to do with yours.... Thanks for sharing.

But I do have some questions. I lost track of time after day three. How many days it took? and the most important question for me is did your cake was fill inside? if it was, what kind of filling do you use so it can stand for all those days? as a newbie I always try to make my cakes like at the very last minute and Im always worried about tha cakes getting bad inside ( because it happens to me ones).
And yes! one more question How in earth did you transport your cake to the wedding place? it look so heavy and delicate....
Thanks again.

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:11pm
post #19 of 78

I love your work. Great job as always. Thank you.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:23pm
post #20 of 78

Wow. thanks for sharing. You are a true artist.

Dana0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana0323 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:23pm
post #21 of 78

BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for the info. and the inspiration!

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:28pm
post #22 of 78

Great idea of taking pics of the process -- "a picture is worth a thousand words." Your work is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

vmw774180 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmw774180 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:29pm
post #23 of 78

Absolfreakinglutely amazing!! Pardon my ignorance, what does the abbreviation CMC mean

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:36pm
post #24 of 78

Great, great, great! Thank you so much for taking the time to share--I loved having the chance to see how a true artist works!

honeybearcreek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeybearcreek Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:38pm
post #25 of 78

Thank you so much for posting your photos! It was neat to see all of the steps involved in creating such a beautiful cake. Fabulous!

Hugs,
Diana in VA
www.honeybearcreek.com

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:42pm
post #26 of 78

Thank you so much for sharing, Emma. I agree trying to do a tutorial for your cakes would be a major time consuming PITA! Wonderful and witty explanations of each step. thumbs_up.gif

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:42pm
post #27 of 78

love the Indian inspired design...you've really captured the feel! I love it!

Thanks for the pics...I was exhausted for you!!....that gave me a great idea...I think all decorators should document at least one of their cakes like you did...will show all those "last minute" clients what goes into one of these creations!!!

You did a wonderful job and I always enjoy looking at your imaginative and artful creations!!

Cheers,
Jane

JoJoMick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJoMick Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:43pm
post #28 of 78

How wonderful to show this in progress! I've done fondant and you do have to know some tricks! I've had many times where I should've started days before I actually did. It takes a certain amount of comcept in one's mind. I find that I make alot of "doo-dad" things (and save them) because. like Emma, I'm never quite sure where the cake will end up when I'm done! I love the creative process and the client that loves the finished work too! Bravo, Emma!

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:49pm
post #29 of 78

So Emma, do you have a large refrigerator like the kind we have in the US or do you have the normal under the counter one common to British homes?

Working with such a big cake over a few days, I'd have to pop it in and out of the frig here based on the weather. I know you have heat waves and I've not been in many houses there that had AC, how do you manage?

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:51pm
post #30 of 78

Emma,
As always.........another fantastic cake an wow, you just "run with it" in designing as you go! I have to plan weeks ahead draw sketches and resketch to make sure it's what I want..........I always admire your cakes- and thanks for sharing...........this is a great idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%