Like I Need Another Challenge...tsp. Not The Same????

Decorating By CakeDiva73 Updated 9 Oct 2006 , 11:27am by Dustbunny

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 11

Well, I was a baking maniac last night and made tons of cake, scones, cookies, etc... I have tons of measuring cups and tsp sets since some are for wet and then I need dry ones, etc.. So I am using a stainless steel tsp. and glance at it and went hmmm. icon_confused.gif It seemed BIG for a tsp.

I double check - it says 'tsp. 5 ml' right on it so I grab one of my other ones and I kid you not - it was almost double. So I take the TBLS from the very same set (which should hold 3 tsp.) and after 1 1/2 tsp. it is full!! icon_surprised.gif

Then I compare it to my other sets - they are all flippin' different! The old fashioned ones ( that are like 60 years old because I use my Grandma's baking stuff) are wayyyyyy smaller then the newer ones. What in the name of God is going on? Has anyone else had this problem? icon_cry.gif

10 replies
donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 11

CakeDiva73,

There was an article awhile back in one of the culinary trade magazines
- that all measuring spoons are NOT the same...it was quiet a shocker! icon_eek.gif

Once I purchase a set , I check the measurements b/c ( as u can see) there can be a big DIFFERENCE! icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif
that was a serious HEADS UP me 4 me ( and U)! GLad u caught it! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 11

i have 4 sets and have never thought to check. i just take it for granted that they are all the same. however, i only use 2 sets. thats my vintage tupperware set. (2 sets) one of the other sets is an all in one spoon and i think that one is accurate. one day i will see if they are all the same. I dont plan on buying anymore though.

pscsgrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pscsgrrl Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 11

So which one do you judge by?? How are we to know which one is right?? I guess if you have a very small scale, you can weigh it. I never even thought that there might be a difference. Maybe I'll use one of my son's med syringes to measure out 5 ml.

aliekitn99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliekitn99 Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 11

I too have several sets but never thought to check... but, how do you know which ones are right? icon_surprised.gif

aliekitn99

cgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgirl Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 5:32am
post #6 of 11

Get a medicine cup or syringe. They are pretty much right on. They have to be, I wouldn't want to over dose someone. Anyway, I checked mine out against my spoons because I noticed that they were different. I also noticed my cups were a little off also. A 30cc little plastic medicine cup works. You can get them at dr's office, the hospital or pharmacy will give you one no problem.

Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 6:10am
post #7 of 11

Perhaps it is a case of European & US measurements?? I know that when I convert a US recipe it isn't the same... like 1tspn in US is more than a tspn over here.

cgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgirl Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 6:21am
post #8 of 11

Interesting. Hmmm....

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 8:34am
post #9 of 11

I have seen the recommendation that you should try to use just one set of measuring spoons when cooking from a recipe, for just this reason.

I don't think, though, that would have helped in your situation. It sounds like, if only 1 1/2 tsp fit into the 1 Tbsp spoon from the same set, it is really a 1/2 Tbsp, mismarked.

RP

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 9:37am
post #10 of 11

that's why it's always better to use scales, no going wrong there. I have two sets of measuring cups. One has 240mls for the 1 cup, and the other has 250mls for the 1 cup!!!!crazy stuff!!!
I was using scales for all my ingredients except for liquids until i noticed that my cups were possessed!!! icon_eek.gif
Nati

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 11:27am
post #11 of 11

Wow I didn't know they could differ, now I have to check mine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%