Snaps On A Onesie Cake?

Decorating By BrookieSab Updated 10 Aug 2007 , 11:47am by mgdqueen

BrookieSab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrookieSab Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 6:03am
post #1 of 5

I am looking to make a Onesie Cake for a baby shower. I have looked at pretty much all of the photos in the gallery of the Onesie Cakes. This may be a dumb question, but what do you make the snaps out of for those cakes? They all look so perfect and just like real snaps!

4 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 6:11am
post #2 of 5

I haven't done one but would vote for fondant or gumpaste, painted with silver luster dust that has been mixed into vodka or everclear. Though I have to admit I could have sworn I read at least one photo description where the decorator admitted she used real snaps. If you are going to attend the party and cut the cake yourself you could surely go that route!

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 6:32am
post #3 of 5

Yup, I read that too..

I wouldn't do that, though.. Only because most parties I attend have a few children there, and you never know when one of those little buggers would just run right up and put it in their mouth, when no one's looking.. heh

You could also use a round tip and imprint a perfect circle on the onesie, draw over it with your icing, then after it crusts paint it with the silver luster dust, as was mentioned earlier.

Good luck! I hope to see your finished cake. I just love those. icon_smile.gif

Holly

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 11:44am
post #4 of 5

For the onsie cake in my photos, I used the round Wilton Fondant Cutters and I used the smallest one. The wide end of a tip would work just as well.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 11:47am
post #5 of 5

I did mine like Holly described...just used a #12 tip to make the imprint and brushed outline carefully with luster and vodka.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%