50% Coupon For Cake Stand Drama (Long)

Decorating By cocorum21 Updated 9 Oct 2006 , 8:48pm by cocorum21

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 31

I convinced my dh that he should acompany me to michael's this morning so that I could use two 50% off coupons. I got the heart shaped pan set and I got a cake stand. I thought it looked nice on the package it was all white I figured it was plastic but with 50% coupon why not. My husband wanted me to get the one that is clear acylic and silver. I got the white.

I got home all excited opened the package and STYROFOAM?!?! icon_confused.gif Now, I should have read the package but who would have thought $30 for styrofoam? even though I used the coupon it still wasn't worth the $.

I was disappointed and took it back I got the clear acrylic with silver cake stand started putting it together and it's missing a piece. I'm really quite bummed I don't want to buy another stand from them but there went my extra coupon.

I thought it was a good idea to just use the coupons since I am just starting and I need things. Like the tilting turn table from another thread. I bought that a month ago before consulting CC. Then last week plooop! cake slides off onto the counter smashing one side icon_cool.gif

I'm not long into this but I'm starting to think I should just use my 40 and 50% off coupons for scrapbooking stuff and save money for good cake supplies. So now I am off to Michael's again (which will make dh happy because he can watch football in peace) to return another cake stand icon_cry.gif

It's just unfortunate that this company doesn't read this board and maybe take note of the problems with their product. I don't mind ordering things but like today it's niceto have a place to go and make that "I want it now" purchase. Oh well. icon_cool.gif

30 replies
vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 31

At JoAnns and Michaels, I was able to get my coupon back. I can't remember how they did it, but I was issued a new coupon. Sorry about all that, but I will definately read the package!

baker4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker4life Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 31

That happened to me with the cake stand.

I went to the tent sale and thought that it was a great deal on it! Got it home and opened it...styrofoam! Pretty dissapointed, and I couldn't return it.
The sales are so hectic, you grab what you can get!

Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 31

Glad I read this, I thought that stand looked really cool and had thought about buying it, but now I will go for another of the stands.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 31

You will never be sorry if you save and buy good equipment.

thumbs_up.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 31

Yeah...I had that styro cake stand in my cart until I realized what it really was.... back on the shelf it went! I got a projector and had to return it and asked for a credit for the coupong and they gave it to me ( I had to go pick something out right then though)

I took the advice of anther CC'r and went to Costco to buy they 4 level tray thing for $20 and it looks like a fab cake stand that is black wrought iron and can be arranged different ways and dressed up....

I also bougt the Wilton 3 level glass/metal dessert stand but will be taking it back since the Costo one will probably do what that one can....not really sure. It was only $15 and has it's advantages....... I really wanted to get the floating tier stand for $35 w/ coupon but most people want stacked tiered cakes so wouldn't I just be having it on hand in case someone needed it? icon_confused.gif My kitchen isn't that big!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 9:57pm
post #7 of 31

I certainly agree..keep your coupons for crafts and spend your money on higher quality products. You will end up saving money becuase they will last longer and believe it or not, save you time! (You aren't the first one where a cake slid off that tilting turntable!)

I think Wilton is good for their yearbook ideas, and handy if you have a rush order and need some meringue powder. I also like some of their character pans.

speaking of turntables, I want to get a second one (or should I say third one..my wilton one sits on a shelf collecting dust). My second one is a Aetco. It is also plastic but not as cheesy as Wilton. Do turntables only come in plastic?

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 31

No..you can buy metal ones and can find them online at better cake decorating supply sites.

heychele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heychele Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 10:43pm
post #9 of 31

Speaking of cake stands does anyone have any suggestions on some good web sites?
I would love to find the standard but also think it would great to have a couple of unusual ones!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 10:58pm
post #10 of 31

I have a really great one. It is formica and it is reversable. Round on one side, flip it over and it is rectangular. I love it. Now it doesn't tilt or lock, but I havn't missed those features. I know that you can order it from some sight, I got mine from our local cake supply store. There was a thread about this that listed the sites.

Stephanie

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 11:01pm
post #11 of 31

what cake stand is this that is made of styrofoam??

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 11:07pm
post #12 of 31

Ok found the thread on the turn tables:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=40798&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

It is Country Kitchen that has the table that I have.

Stephanie

heychele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heychele Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 11:08pm
post #13 of 31

I can't find the thread that lists the sites so if anyone knows that would be great! I already did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for.

baker4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker4life Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 11:15pm
post #14 of 31

The styrofoam stand is called the 3-tier cake & dessert stand made by Wilton. It's not online, but it's in the 2006 yearbook.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 11:27pm
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbegg

Ok found the thread on the turn tables:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=40798&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

It is Country Kitchen that has the table that I have.

Stephanie

Thanks Stephanie! Do you have a brand name for your turntable? I would love one that is retangular too!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 1:47am
post #16 of 31

I used a coupon for that three tier stand too...was horrified that it was a wobbly cheap styrofoam...but then I know a guy who is excellent with woodworking so I gave it to him and he used it to make a wooden version, painted white, that fits the cake plates that come with the set. So now I have a sturdy one that works just great. Plus I like to drape fabric around it so you can't see that its wooden...even though the white paint makes it look great anyway.

For a turntable I bought a stainless steel and cast iron Ateco one, it's a great purchase.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 2:03am
post #17 of 31

Best gift ever...thanks to hubby...is my Ateco turntable.

http://cooksdream.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=612&Category_Code=REVOLVING&Product_Count=1

It is strong. It never wobbles. It rotates smoothly. It is worth it.

Thanks for the heads up on the styrofoam stand. I would never have known that!! I'm trying to think of what to spend my coupon on tomorrow!

Angie

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 3:24am
post #18 of 31

angelas2babies i know what you mean, i'm still thinking about what to buy. i dont sell my cakes and alot of stuff i have is just filling up my kitchen and i'm sure sooner or later dh will get fed up with all of it. i'm sure sooner though. i really want to use the 50%. I have everything i need since i'm in michaels every week. what should i get???

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 3:31am
post #19 of 31

As funny as this sounds...I may have to do something lame like waste it on Meringue Powder.

coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 3:43am
post #20 of 31

I have actually used my 50% coupon on a bag of chocolate melts when I was in the store and didn't need anything big! (a $1.25 saved is $1.25 toward another non Wilton cake item!)

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 10:52am
post #21 of 31

No coupon is used cheesy as long as you've used it! I was clearing off a pile of papers Sunday only to realize I never used one of my JoAnn & Michaels's coupons! Grrrrrrr!

JulieBugg2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBugg2000 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 11:05am
post #22 of 31

Ok you all have done it now lol. I'm going to have to go to Michael's today just to find this cake stand so I can gawk at it in the aisle.

Why the #$@& would they make a cake stand made of STYROFOAM???? icon_confused.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 11:06am
post #23 of 31

Just started the decorating thing...but love it....Didn't have a turntable yet...came home from taking kids to their functions at school and mom had left me a present...its a marble turntable..you can actually take the top off and stick it in the freezer then take it out and decorate on the table, the decorations are easy to lift off and store...love this gift!!! icon_biggrin.gif

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 3:12pm
post #24 of 31

oh i used mine on meringue last time the had the 50% off. i definately buy the big one when i get the discount. i'm definately going to go get something today but dont know what yet icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 4:34pm
post #25 of 31

Take the stand back to Michaels and tell them that there is a piece missing. They will let you exchange it for one with all it's parts.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 7:08pm
post #26 of 31

I'm glad i saw this post too! i was heading to Michaels after work to get a turn table. I have a plastic one, no brand and it fell and broke. I'll make sure i won't get the tilting one. There's another one on the wilton site, anyone have comments on that one?

thanks!
Kat

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 7:39pm
post #27 of 31

My two fave turntables are the two cheaper ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katskakes

I'm glad i saw this post too! i was heading to Michaels after work to get a turn table. I have a plastic one, no brand and it fell and broke. I'll make sure i won't get the tilting one. There's another one on the wilton site, anyone have comments on that one?

thanks!
Kat

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 7:40pm
post #28 of 31

I used my coupon for the ball pan and the checked board pan and took dh with me too. Thanks for the heads up on the cake stand. I'd be po'd if I bought that. Any ways, I use the coupons cause I know anywhere else, the Wilton stuff would cost 100% LOL.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 7:47pm
post #29 of 31

Someone asked earlier in this thread about finding unusual cake stands. I recommend going to antique shops. I found my best stand at a little bitty Mom'N Pop antique shop. It was only 5 bucks! It's a beautiful iron chandelier. I spray painted it with the marbelizing spray you can get at Michael's. I've had so many compliments on that stand. It was the best 5 bucks I've ever spent!

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 8:03pm
post #30 of 31

I don't know if Wilton listed it on the box or not, but the cake stand that you are referring to here is supposed to be disposable. That's why it is made of styrofoam. I ordered one just like it from sugarcraft, and on the site, it explained that the stand was meant to be disposable. This was a great item idea if you charge the bride the extra $15 or 30 dollars and leave the whole thing there. No deposits, no worry. These stands come in many sizes (check sugarcraft), and they are sturdy. I have used them several times, and have never had a problem. They aren't meant to be an investment by any means.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%