Red Velvet With Buttercream?? Taste?

Decorating By domestic_diva Updated 5 Feb 2013 , 8:16pm by kikiandkyle

domestic_diva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
domestic_diva Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 15

Do you think that Red velvet cake could pair well with buttercream frosting?

Perhaps I could do like a cream cheese frosting filling and buttercream on the outside?

I'm just worried that if I only use cream cheese frosting that it will fall apart under the fondant.

14 replies
beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 15

i've done it and i love it. perhaps its not "authentic" but it tastes great and is much easier for me to use my standard BC instead of making up a special batch of icing for it.

MiaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiaT Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 15

The cream cheese frosting will be fine under the fondant. I just did a red velvet w/ cc for a baby shower and everyone ate all of it - cake, cc icing and the fondant on top (gotta love that satin ice).

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 15

Here's a cream cheese frosting that doesn't require refrigeration:

http://tinyurl.com/2ydx9b
(From Sarah Phillips of baking911.com - testing for safety & stability.)

HTH

MadPhoeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadPhoeMom Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 15

i use Earlene Moore's Cream Cheese Buttercream Icing recipe on virtually everything (unless someone specifically wants a authentic heavy duty cream cheesy icing).
i've used it on red velvet and people ate it all!
sally

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 15

there is a recipe i posted for a decorator's cream cheese frosting that works great w/ red velvet, carrot, and italian cream cake. i live by this frosting!! the best part is that you can also pipe boarders, stars, dots, anything your heart's desire w/ it!

give it a shot
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4183-0-Decorator-Cream-Cheese.html

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 15

I've done it .... customers like it.

I dont' like following "food rules", like bagels and Red Velvet HAVE to have cream cheese (I dont' like cream cheese and it ticks me off when I have to eat a bagel plain because no one was courteous enough to have other condiments available!). People who think you HAVE to sprinkle paprika on deviled eggs ... bleck! When I go thru a cafeteria line and I have to STOP them from automatically putting melted cheese on my broccoli. (yes, it's true .... my family HATES going to a restaurant with me! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif )

Think outside the box! Be Bold!! Go where no man has gone before! Slap that BC on the red velvet! icon_surprised.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 11:20pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Think outside the box! Be Bold!! Go where no man has gone before! Slap that BC on the red velvet! icon_surprised.gif

I agree....it will taste fantastic! Debi...you're the first person I've ever known that doesn't like cream cheese! I could eat it with a fork right out of the package!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 11:52pm
post #9 of 15

Thenyou'll die on this one ... I'm probably the one person in American who cannot STAND cheesecake! I take one bite of it a year just to remind myself, "Yep! That's why I don't eat it!"

We went to a restaurant once and the only desserts they had were all cheesecake derivatives! (and no, it was not the Cheesecake Factory). So I had to sip coffee while everyone else got to have a dessert. Pi$$ed me off royal and we have never been back to that place.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:00am
post #10 of 15

icon_eek.gif

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:13am
post #11 of 15

Indydebi...I think we could be related! I can only barely tolerate cream cheese -even cheesecake (only make it for dh)! I went to the cheesecake factory back in May...I was the only one who didn't order a slice of cheesecake (I got a slice of lemon cream cake instead -funny how everyone then wanted what I got!)

I often think people who frost RVC w/ cream cheese are cheating themselves out of the real thing...but it's their loss...it always makes me want to bake them a real RVC - I've been known to argue about what an RVC really is...and have even posted a blog on it icon_redface.gif

One day when I get my own cake shop, I plan on making RVC the right way, and if they want something else that's masquerading as a RVC...they can go elsewhere. I'm very opinionated on RVC -if you can't tell icon_wink.gif

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 2:25am
post #12 of 15

I'm the same way! I much prefer red velvet with cooked flour icing (Waldorf astoria or Mary Kay icing on some sites).

q2wheels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
q2wheels Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 7:51pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by domestic_diva

Do you think that Red velvet cake could pair well with buttercream frosting?

Perhaps I could do like a cream cheese frosting filling and buttercream on the outside?

I just did the very the same with my DH's birthday cake. Though he loves cream cheese frosting he felt it was too rich to cover the cake, so I used BC and used the cream cheese frosting for the filling. He was happy, got the best of both!

Toni Ann

WhatNext Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhatNext Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 7:36pm
post #14 of 15

I am still fairly new to baking and until researching what icing to put on Red Velvet cake, I never heard of the type of buttercream frosting with the flour, etc...only the butter (butter/ shortening), confectioner's sugar, milk, vanilla.  So, now when there are people saying, "Yeah, put the buttercream on, it'll taste great!"  I'm not sure which kind of buttercream their talking about?  I've obviously never made the kind with flour and cooking on the stove -- how does the taste and consistency compare to  the other kind?  Thanks!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 8:16pm
post #15 of 15

My understanding is that red velvet always used to be served with a cooked frosting anyway until recently, I think I read it on marthastewart.com. 

Count me as another one that hates cream cheese. Although I love cheesecake. I also don't like coffee, or worse, wine. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%