Holey White Cakes!

Decorating By crp7 Updated 15 Jul 2005 , 5:52am by crp7

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 3:49am
post #1 of 17

I have made several doctored versions of cake while practicing for an upcoming wedding cake. They all taste good but I have noticed that the white cake always has a lot of holes in it like it had big air bubbles.

I mixed all the different cakes the same way and this only happens on the white cakes. I am using whole eggs and not just egg whites. Is this normal for white cake?

Cindy

16 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 9:13am
post #2 of 17

all the white cakes I have ever made only contained the egg whites and this hasnt happened..... maybe IT IS using whole eggs is the reason....

Cakemaster26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemaster26 Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 11:54am
post #3 of 17

Hi Crp7

Maybe you are incorporating to much air while you are mixing. Are you sing a mixer? if so are you using the whisk or paddle attachment.

Just a thought!

TinTN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinTN Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 12:08pm
post #4 of 17

Try lifting and dropping the cake pans on the counter a few times before putting them in the oven to bake. This will help bring the air bubbles to the surface.

mixaleena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixaleena Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 17

My sister in law had this problem with any cake that she made and found it was due to her oven temperature being too high.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 17

in the cake doctor book it says to add whole eggs because it adds flavor.
i also agree with the temperature being to high. make sure you don't over beat it and tap it on the counter to get any extra air bubbles out.

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 17

i use whole eggs and low temp. i dont get the big air bubbles. try low heat icon_smile.gif

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 17

I use whole eggs in a white cake mix all the time. Overmixing the batter will cause a "holey" cake. lol
Also the tapping the pan on the counter before baking helps.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 4:57pm
post #9 of 17

In addition to using the paddle beater (definitely helps!) and tapping on the counter, make sure you sift the cake mix first. I find large lumps in them.

caduchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caduchi Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 5:13pm
post #10 of 17

I agree, always sift your flour or cakemix, i never use cake mix but the one i once used had lots of lomps, is that because it has the pudding in it?

crp7 Posted 10 Jul 2005 , 6:55pm
post #11 of 17

Thanks everyone. I will making another cake this week so I will try your suggestions. Like I said, it is weird that it only happens on white cake but I usually do butter cakes and the directions say to mix them longer so I may be mixing the white too long.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks,
Cindy

crp7 Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 6:48pm
post #12 of 17

Well, I sifted my cake mix, used my stand mixer with the paddle instead of my hand mixer, mixed for a shorter time and banged my pans on the table....it worked! I still had a few more holes than my other cakes but it was much better.

Now I just have to figure which one(s) of these did the trick.

Thanks for the advice,
Cindy

wandy27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wandy27 Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 7:13pm
post #13 of 17

When I made the enhanced recipe, with white cake box mix with pudding, I used three egg whites and 1 whole eggs, and 1 cup of sourcream and it was wonderful.

Wandy

cakelady1994 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady1994 Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 9:15pm
post #14 of 17

when i make white cake mix i always use 2 eggs whites and 1 whole egg and tap the pans on the table but they sometimes still have holes.

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 1:32am
post #15 of 17

what are you coating your pan with? I was out of my bakers joy and didnt have my wiltons either, so I used pam, I had weird holes at the corners. But Banging them on the counter really helps a BUNCH! the 1st time my kids saw me do this they thought I was MAD at the Cake,,hahaha,, But now they pay no attn. to it.
Good Luck!
~Sweet~ =0)

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 2:53am
post #16 of 17

I noticed that today as well. I made a cake doctor white cake, used my KA with the paddle and banged it on the counter as well. I still have hole icon_cry.gif But I did use the white and yolk...not just the whites. Will try the 2 whole eggs and one white the next time. Thought it was just me, thanks.

crp7 Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 5:52am
post #17 of 17

I still think it may have at least a little to do with the white mix somehow since this has not happened too much with other cakes. I am still not sure but mine was much better when I followed everyones advice!

Cindy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%