Trying To Pretend To Be Something You Are Not

Lounge By AmandaPanda Updated 11 Aug 2007 , 4:43am by lilmisscantbewrg

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 28

UGH, ok I posted a barter on craigslist for a graphic artist to trade ther service to make me a logo in return for me to make them a cake for a party or whatever they want. I had someone email me asking what kind of a theme I want. I told them and then asked if they have a website, they said it was just somethign they enjoyed doing so I figured on let them have a go at it .... about 10 min later I get an IM saying they have 3 done already ... uhhh ok even I know the most experienced of graphic artists are nto going to have a ful logo done in 10 min let alone 3!! so she sends me one... and it is a link to blingee.com ... she made one of those premade logos on blingee and it had the PILSBURY DOUGH BOY on it ... I told her that that is copyright infringement and I do not want the "blingee.com" logo on my business logo and that is unprofessional, and that if I wanted that I could have made it myself. I made her aware that I am pretty experienced with PSP and Photoshop and can create awsome things myself with it but when it comes to custom hand drawn items I cannot do that and need someone who can. I also let her know that I needed something CUSTOM that noone else will have as this is my business logo, I then politely tell her thank you for your interest however I cannot use those designs. She then says she will try again. I tried to talk her out of it saying that I did not want her to waste her time as it seems she does not have what I am looking for, she insists that she wil try and if I don't like it then no big deal. so I say fine.

10 min later she comes back with a little flower design only ONE color and the word "SNAZZY" animated popping up one letter at a time on the pedals... first I told her NO animation ... and second she used a PREMADE design standard on ALL versions of PSP all the did was pick a color and drag her mouse and poop the design is done then animate it with animation shop ... again I am not sure why she thinks that is custom it is something I myself could have easily done plus more .... I tell her that I do not mean to sound rude but I need something more custom than that, that is a design I could have created myself. I thank her for her effort and willingness to give it a try, then she responds with some snippy little answer. After I would tell her I did not like it she would try to convince me it looked cute and SHE thinks it would be great lol. Next time I am nto letting anyone do work unless I see what they have done FIRST!

27 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 28

My DH and I have learned this leason too. Always see other work first before you agree to use them.

AmandaPanda Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 28

well luckely we never had the full agreement so she isnot expecting a cake for the 20 minutes she wasted creating things that i could have created myself lol

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 28

Send her a photo of a cupcake and tell her BARTER IS completed. icon_smile.gif
Susie

AmandaPanda Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 28

lol I should send her a photo of the same logo she made me only BETTER because I know I could have made that same logo look 100 times better than she made with as minimal and simple as it was.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 28

Do it! Do it! And tell us what she says.

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 28

That stinks! Good idea to barter for the service though! icon_smile.gif

PS - LOVE LOVE LOVE the name!!!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

oneprimalscream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneprimalscream Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 7:15pm
post #8 of 28

Man, I am so sick of seeing these phoney 'graphic artists' on Craigslist, and even more sick of seeing people get scammed by them.

It's really sad, because people see a good price, and they think they'll get a good logo...but seriously, every person I've heard of who has dealt with one of these 'designers' has always ended up discouraged, disappointed, and most likely always gets another one done afterwards.

AmandaPanda Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 7:16pm
post #9 of 28

oh, here is what she came up with that she thought waz totaly awsome and would be perfect for my business ....... My mouth dropped when I opened it lol it was actually worse than I expected it to be....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/neofreak4u/Animation1.gif

oneprimalscream Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 7:19pm
post #10 of 28

I can't see the image...but then again, do I really want to? I'm kind of scared to click on it after your description...icon_smile.gif j/k

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 8:28pm
post #11 of 28

Oh my word, that has me cracking up. Poor child. icon_lol.gif I can't believe she used a blinkee.

The link says "page cannot be found" and just goes to photobucket's main page.

AmandaPanda Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 8:32pm
post #12 of 28

ok trying this again LOL

D77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D77 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 8:39pm
post #13 of 28

Are you kidding me? This is what she sent you? She should look for a new hobby.

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 8:39pm
post #14 of 28

uuuuhhhhhhh....that's bad! But somewhat funny and sad that she thought you would be happy with it! I am shocked!!!!

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 8:45pm
post #15 of 28

Oooh, that makes me dizzy just looking at it. Hurts my eyes!

AmandaPanda Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 8:45pm
post #16 of 28

lol I know .... My eyes were like icon_eek.gif then icon_confused.gif when I first saw it then I just couldn't help but laught and try not to send back some major smart #&* comment to her.

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 8:46pm
post #17 of 28

Wow.... that is something a .... teenager would think was excellent. icon_confused.gif

My bet is that this girl is a teenager playing around and looking for a free cake who has different views (and knowledge) about what is acceptable for a business logo and what you were requesting. To her, those were probably perfect! What works for a business targetted towards teenagers (her mindset) is probably not what most of us are looking for.

Too bad though - maybe one day she will turn out into a great graphic artist.... or not! icon_lol.gif

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 8:47pm
post #18 of 28

Ok, I'm picking myself up off the floor...that is hilarious!!!! Poor thing, what's so sad is she really thinks that is art icon_surprised.gif

Etta1025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Etta1025 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 8:47pm
post #19 of 28

This cracks me up! My day job is a creative director, so I'm surrounded by some really talented graphic artists. If one of my designers handed in a project like this, I would give them hell!!

I'm so sorry you went throught that. Guess you have to be really careful about what "services" people advertise on websites. There's no way this person is a legitmate graphic designer.

Ironbaker Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 9:34pm
post #20 of 28

No she didn't! icon_lol.gif

Amanda, you don't want to call them "Snazzy Cakes"? You're so ungrateful! icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 9:38pm
post #21 of 28

OH....MY.....!!!!!

LMAO....thanks for the laughs!

You should of asked her how you were suppose to get it to "blink" on your business cards.

AmandaPanda Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 10:00pm
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

No she didn't! icon_lol.gif

Amanda, you don't want to call them "Snazzy Cakes"? You're so ungrateful! icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

ummm actually my name IS "The Snazzy Baker" icon_smile.gif

oneprimalscream Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 11:05pm
post #23 of 28

Seriously, WTH?!?

I couldn't even read the font that said "SNAZZY". Took me a few tries to make out what it said.

Even in my BEGINNING stages as a graphic artist, I never created something like THAT. Jeez!

Could you PM me the link to her ad? I want to see what she comes up with for me...

AmandaPanda Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 11:46pm
post #24 of 28

she actually did not put the ad out ...I put out and add specifically asing for a graphics artist for barter, their artistic talents for a logo for me and in return I woudl barter my cake services. and she contacted me. lol she gave me a website of just the stuff she has "done for fun" and it is all pretty sorry stuff, most of it is the premade stuff off websites that you just click what you want and the site assembles it for you lol

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:06am
post #25 of 28

If you had not already said the word "snazzy", I would still be sitting here trying to figure out what it actually said!

It was very hard to read!

No cake for her! icon_lol.gif

AmandaPanda Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 12:52am
post #26 of 28

LOL ... oh yes lets nto forget the factthat my business name is "The Snazzy Baker" not just "snazzy"

Ironbaker Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 1:02am
post #27 of 28

Ahhh, I thought she came up with that one on her own.

Now that's even funnier that it just says half your name. icon_lol.gif

I agree with whoever said she just saw "cake" and was probably trying to get a free one.

lilmisscantbewrg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmisscantbewrg Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 4:43am
post #28 of 28

I think instead of sending a cupcake and calling it complete..you should just send a blinking cupcake!
Did she REALLY think you were going to use THAT??!!

NEEEEXT icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%