Grrrr Long Rant!!!!

Decorating By Batter-UpBakery Updated 18 Aug 2007 , 4:59pm by sarahnichole975

Batter-UpBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batter-UpBakery Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 51

has anyone ever had this problem????? my SIL asked me to do my nephews b-day cake three weeks ago for this sat. i said sure i would love to. of coarse this is a freebie but i needed the practice. when i asked what she had in mind all i got was she wanted chocolate cake and a spongebob theme and the icing didnt matter. oooook. well after thinking and looking around i decided to do a sheet cake with a boat carved out of cake on top with spongebob and ms. puff in the boat. my nephew loves spongebob and boats so i thought this would be perfect. MIL agreed thought it was a wonderful idea. so i have my sketches showing them to SIL who says "oh no i want this all about spongebob, no boats!!!" icon_confused.gif but she said it very rudely, you have to know her. anyhow anyone who has ever watched spongebob i am sure has seen him fail his boating test time and time again. so where does she get that a boat has nothing to do with spongebob. so now here i am making characters from spongebob out of candy clay which i hate and they look horrible. she now wants spongebob, patrick and squidward standing in front of spongebobs house blowing bubbles. icon_mad.gif ok i am no expert, i dont do figures out of clay or fondant. why cant she just be happy with what i was offering to do??? i had full confidence in the idea i had coming out great but this idea of hers i am not so sure about. i will post a pic of the figures when i get them complete. but i am gonna feel horrible if this cake doesnt turn out. i told her i wasnt comfortable doing figures, but she had to have them. what do i tell her if it turns out to be a flop????? what would you do if this was you?

50 replies
TripleTrouble Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TripleTrouble Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 51

I wish I had the perfect answer to give you, but I don't. However, if I were in your shoes, I would probably tell her, "The cake with the house and figurines blowing bubbles may not going to look as good as the one I came up with because I am not that skilled in figuring making YET. But if you want the cake with figurines on it, I'll do my best."

Ok....well, I would say that if I kept my cool...otherwise, I might not be so nice. icon_wink.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 51

What would I do? Buy the figures!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 51

Ditto to KoryAK!!

If you could turn back time, I wouldnt' have shown her the drawings. SHe said she didn't care, so that means you can go at it and do whatever.

It's a free cake. She gets what you give her.

When she pays you, can have "artistic approval" on the final item!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 51

i go by Duff's policy

if it's a freebie --- the recipient has absolutely NO say whatsoever in the design.

it's a gift -- shut up and take it!

shkepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shkepa Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 51

I would do the origianl idea and tell her the other did not look right and it is but not disappointing your nephew.

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 51

don't worry i know exactly what you are going through, for people getting free cakes i don't think they should be quite so picky. atleast she's not changing theme every 2 days, that happened to me last november when i was doing the cake for my little cousin. we went from carebears, to my little pony, to tinkerbell. geez! i say throw the cake at her...no not really just give it to her straight or change the cake back to your design. what is she gonna do not pay you for it, oh wait she's already not paying for it!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:29pm
post #8 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

i go by Duff's policy

if it's a freebie --- the recipient has absolutely NO say whatsoever in the design.

it's a gift -- shut up and take it!

thumbs_up.gif Ditto to Doug.. I hate it when someone says "Oh.. do whatever you want".. and then has something to say about it. If you can't make the figures (or at least dont' feel like your figures would make your cake be what you want it to be) then tell her flat out. Good luck..

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:31pm
post #9 of 51

I would go and get those little plastic figurines of all the characters and call it happy - save your time, and energy for the rest of the cake.

Let her know that you just aren't as good as you would like to be yet with doing handmade characters, so plastic is as good as it gets. Plus, it's a free cake. Practice is one thing, but now it's making it so that it's not so much fun for you anymore.

Either way, I'm sure it'll still look cool.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:33pm
post #10 of 51

I would tell her the design she has chosen is NOT possible! That you are showing her this design for X amount of reasons. I would even tell her about the boat thing from the show! Maybe she doesn't watch it carefully?! Then, I would just make what you had planned...it's FREE!

If you choose to do her design... go and buy the figurines. Then that is your nephew's present! LOL

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:35pm
post #11 of 51

" what do i tell her if it turns out to be a flop????? "

I TOLD YOU SO..... icon_rolleyes.gificon_evil.gif

Make YOUR idea, and tell her the figures didn't work out..... the little guy will be THRILLED.... he no doubt knows more about Sponbebob and the "boat" than mom does.....

baergarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baergarivera Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:35pm
post #12 of 51

ladyhitman18,

I AM SO SORRY THAT YOU'R HAVING THIS PROBLEM. TELL HER THAT BEGGERS CAN'T BE CHOSSER. OK WELL MAYBE NOT THAT BUT IT FEELS GOOD TO SAY THAT. BUY THE FIGURINES AT SHAW,S SAMS, OR ANY SUPERMARKET MY HUSBNAD AND I DID A SPONGE BOB FISH TANK ONES OR EVEN TRY WALGREEENS OR A TOY STORE THEY MAY HAVE THEM THERE.

GOD LUCK. AND GOD BLESS ITS HARD WHEN DEALING WITH FAMILY AT TIMES. TRUST ME.

WHY NOT TRY THE SPONGEBOB CAKE PAN. best of luck.
Michelle

Chercaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chercaker Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:37pm
post #13 of 51

I would have said, "Oh gosh, it's too bad you want something that is beyond my skill level at this time. You'll have to order from the bakery for that." Would have let her go BUY a cake. Maybe next time she wouldn't be so picky.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 4:37pm
post #14 of 51

If the cake is free, I take their idea or theme and do what I want. That is my chance to try something new.

Batter-UpBakery Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 5:25pm
post #15 of 51

i am ready to tell her to get him one from somewhere else. buying the figures is a good idea i may just do that. then again i really liked my boat idea. i havent seen a cake like that and it would be nice to do something i thought up on my own lol. i am attaching pics of the unfinished figures. let me know your honest opinion on them. you will NOT hurt my feelings as i think they look like crap. i dont know if i want to finish them or not. i am just so frusterated (sp?) whats kinda funny about it though is even my MIL, her mom, said she should just be happy i am doing the cake and leave me be to do it how ever i want. but of coarse when she told her that my SIL got pissed and starting ranting how we need to leave her alone that he is her son and she can do what she wants. boy does that girl have issues. all of that over a cake. if i do finish this one i dont think i will do any more for her.
LL
LL
LL

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 5:31pm
post #16 of 51

I think they look GOOD! With a little more detail you might have them right on! I think you are too critical of yourself just like I am! LOL Maybe you should keep going. But, just to spite her you can put them in front of the boat!! LOL

Batter-UpBakery Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 5:43pm
post #17 of 51

lol that is a great idea. i can see it now!!! all three of them getting mowed down by a run away boat. lol you guys make me feel so much better. thanks for the visual step0nmi

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 5:54pm
post #18 of 51

I think your figures look FANTASTIC!!! I can only dream of being that talented!!! Don't sell yourself short on your ability with those figures!

Actually, I would take those figures and put them in the motorboat you wanted to make. When your nephew goes ape-sh*& over his cake, your SIL will forget all about what she wanted. Tell her it's free, shut up!

{What color is it? It's free! What size is it? It's free. How big is it? Its FREE!!! What the heck does it matter???? IT'S FREE!!!}

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 5:56pm
post #19 of 51

I'd go with your original idea and just add the extra charectars(which are very good, might need to stretch spongebob out a little more) some where to placate her. I am also of the school of thought if it is a freebie you get what I make.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 5:57pm
post #20 of 51

Very well put, Starkie! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 5:57pm
post #21 of 51

"If you have any complaints, you can always ask for your money back. Oh wait ..... you didn't PAY any money, did you?" Wha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!! icon_twisted.gif

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 5:58pm
post #22 of 51

omg that would be suck a cute cake, having sb & patrick running for their lives from a boat driven by squidward. you could visualize your sil being of those running (i'm just saying).

your figures look great, you are just overly critical like all decorators. we all want everything to be prestine because we feel it's a representation of ourselves and of that what we are known for. taking the initiative to even attempt to make the figures is a huge step in becoming a better decorator. kudos and keep it up! thumbs_up.gif

Batter-UpBakery Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 6:01pm
post #23 of 51

omg you guys are so funny. my day has just brightened considerably. thanks again. oh and now when i think about boats all i am gonna see is my SIL running for her life from spongebob in his boat lol.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 6:02pm
post #24 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

"If you have any complaints, you can always ask for your money back. Oh wait ..... you didn't PAY any money, did you?" Wha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!! icon_twisted.gif

I. Love. You.

Shelle

ETA: I forgot to say, your figures are just fine!

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 6:04pm
post #25 of 51

Do the cake you want!!!! It's free.

If she doesn't like it, she can go to Walmart!!!

Indydebi----so perfect!!!!!

Lu

Shazzana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shazzana Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 6:05pm
post #26 of 51

I love the way those are coming out. Patrick and squidward look fantastic and i look forward to seeing the finished sponge bob. what are you using to make them?

Tide89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tide89 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 6:17pm
post #27 of 51

I think your figures look AWESOME!!! I'm with everyone else though......it it's a freebie, you should be able to do what you want.

angelcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakesmom Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 6:21pm
post #28 of 51

Your figures are turning out great! thumbs_up.gif I think I would be busy the next time she asks for a cake! icon_razz.gif

TripleTrouble Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TripleTrouble Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 6:24pm
post #29 of 51

Ok...you obviously can't use my first suggestion because you ARE that talented at making the figurines. They look great. icon_biggrin.gif That being said....I say make the boat cake and call it a day. What's she going to do? icon_razz.gif

DCHall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DCHall Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 6:24pm
post #30 of 51

I really like the idea of using all the characters and the boat. It's a free cake and it should be the decorator's choice on design. Your figures are great, by the way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%