Carving Cakes Then Icing With Bc Can It Be Done

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 8 Aug 2007 , 8:59pm by CoreyV

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 15

just wondering if you can carve cakes then icing them with BC im not to good at fondant yet and most orders i get they want BC any info would be great, , i just saw some ones 21st bd cake and it was cute looked like it was carved just thought i would like to do one but with BC

14 replies
chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 15

The last cake I made was carved then covered in BC (I did cover it in fondant then too.) It's easier to do if you wait overnight to frost it. If you try to frost it right after carving it, it will be very crumbly. If you let it sit over night (I still cover with a flour sack or tea towel) by the next day it's just dry enough to frost easier, but still remains moist for eating.

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 15

A lot of my carved cakes are iced with bc. AFter carving it, I put it in thr fridge for about an hour so it firms up some, then I'll do the crumb coat and back in the fridge for a bit, before doing the final icing and decorating.

HTH!!

abeverley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abeverley Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 15

buttercreme works too, carve a little frozen then put back in freezer for about 30 minutes put a thin crumb-coat and let crust then you can cover in buttercreme.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 15

Sure you can! thumbs_up.gif I would do all of your torting and filling before you carve however. You might also find that you will need maybe even 2 to 3 crumb coats before putting your final layer of BC on so just be prepared for that icon_smile.gif

sujeeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sujeeart Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 15

I have done a few. I use a firm cake and make sure I give it a good crumb coat. I make the icing a bit thinner for the crumb coat so it will go on easier. Putting it in the frig. for a few minutes to firm it up, is helpful too.

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 8:07pm
post #7 of 15

Sure... why not? If you are using a dense cake recipe and have it well supported structurally, there isn't anything wrong with using buttercream. It might be harder to smooth, but melviras method works wonders with a crusting buttercream!

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 15

Yes, my daughter came up with this idea and I use it now all the time. I found it especially helpful when doing "baby blocks". Fill a bag and use a #104. The large icing tip works great too if you happen to have it. Make sure your icing is smooth and not too stiff. Just pipe the icing on the "cut" sides then gently smooth it with your spatula. I even use it to ice a regular cake. It really eliminates the crumbs too. Good luck and PM me if you have any other questions.
Happy baking. icon_wink.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 8:17pm
post #9 of 15

Yes, you can. A quick icer makes the icing process real easy. After covering with buttercream, I try to remove as much as I can without getting crumbs...then do the decorating. This is a cake I did using a sheet cake and I carved and built up.
LL

cakebaker1957 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 8:39pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

Yes, you can. A quick icer makes the icing process real easy. After covering with buttercream, I try to remove as much as I can without getting crumbs...then do the decorating. This is a cake I did using a sheet cake and I carved and built up.

Thanks your cake is awesome i dont think i will be that good , Maybe in 50 yrs

cakebaker1957 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 8:41pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chovest

The last cake I made was carved then covered in BC (I did cover it in fondant then too.) It's easier to do if you wait overnight to frost it. If you try to frost it right after carving it, it will be very crumbly. If you let it sit over night (I still cover with a flour sack or tea towel) by the next day it's just dry enough to frost easier, but still remains moist for eating.

Thanks i will try it sometime

cakebaker1957 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 8:42pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannastreats

A lot of my carved cakes are iced with bc. AFter carving it, I put it in thr fridge for about an hour so it firms up some, then I'll do the crumb coat and back in the fridge for a bit, before doing the final icing and decorating.

HTH!!

thanks for the info i will try it sometimes

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 8:50pm
post #13 of 15

Alot of my cakes are carved and then buttercream. I will assembly with buttercream inside before carving, put in frig for atleast 1 hour then carve, crumb coat, frig, then icing.

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 8:52pm
post #14 of 15

I am kind of new to this, so my cakes aren't fantastic (yet icon_smile.gif ), but I have tried a few carved cakes and have iced them in BC. I have never completely covered a cake in fondant.

CoreyV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoreyV Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 8:59pm
post #15 of 15

carve, freeze for about an hour, crumb coat and let is freeze for 4-6 hours and you should be fine

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%