Look, I'm Finally Done....i Think!

Decorating By kathik Updated 6 Oct 2006 , 1:52pm by GenesisCakes

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 7:13am
post #1 of 9

Well, this is my completed cake. It's a Bar Mitzvah cake with the symbols of Sukkot which begins this weekend. It's 3 am, I'm tired and I want to be finished, but I'm not happy with it. I'm trying not to be too critical since it is my first fondant cake, first complicated cake, etc. But the sides keep bothering me! They are so plain that I don't know what to do. I guess I could pipe something on the bottom edges, but I'm so tired that I'm at a loss. I'm going to bed... I have to get up in 4 1/2 hours to get the kids to school. I'll check back and see what you think in the morning, well, later anyway. I'm open to any relatively easy suggestions!

The first photo is my model photo, the second is the top view, and the 3rd is of those darn sides!

Thanks,
Kathi
LL
LL
LL

8 replies
SavannahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SavannahJane Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 9:36am
post #2 of 9

ummm...I dunno but If it were me mkaing the cake, I would put a strip of the brown bamboo type thingie along the bottom on all sides of the cake mabye...sorry not alot of help lol

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 11:35am
post #3 of 9

Yeah a strip of brown would work and it wouldn't be too hard to add. Or if you have some brown ribbon or some flowers you could add them.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 11:46am
post #4 of 9

You did a great job! I think I agree with the others. If you aren't happy with the sides, add the brown at the bottom, but stop looking at it with such a critical eye. It looks terrific!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 11:54am
post #5 of 9

If after some sleep, you're still not happy with the sides, the idea of putting some "bamboo" along the bottom is a good one. If you have 4 extra, than all you'll need to do is glue them in place. If not, maybe some of the nice leaves you did can be added along the bottom edge.

I think it is a very good representation of your model and you should feel good about it. GOOD WORK! WELL DONE!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 12:01pm
post #6 of 9

I decided to come back and look again. I was still thinking about the sides. You know, NO ONE is going to look at the sides. All they'll see is the work done on top. You chose one of the most difficult designs I've seen and did a great job. Pat yourself on the back and enjoy the festivities.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 12:04pm
post #7 of 9

I was thinking more "wood" as a bottom border. The I scroll down and see that's what others are thinking too! I think they'll be thrilled no matter what you do.

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 1:03pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you everyone. I'm still feeling critical, and would like to rip off the center part and just do it in chocolate, but I really don't have that much time. I think I will try to do some more brown fondant this morning and put it around the bottom. At leat I'll feel a little better about that. I'll try to put up a final photo later.

Thank you,
Kathi

GenesisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenesisCakes Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 9

I dont know but I like the sides plain and clean like that. I think adding to it will make it lose its meaning. Great work by the way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%