1 Hr To Go - Need Help!

Decorating By Zmama Updated 5 Oct 2006 , 1:56pm by melodyscakes

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 6

Leaving in one hour to go shopping - YAY! I need a list of "necessities" but total under $100. Help me with my list! What would you get, if you had no (or needed new) :

Cake pans
tier-ing supplies,
cake stands,
chocolate molds (newest addition to the cake habit)
holiday items

My pans are mismatched, nothing usable for tiers (which I hope to try more often)
Cake stands are limited to filling a huge vase with decorative items, sitting the cake plate on it
chocolate molds are soccer and seashells only
no holiday items except cookie cutters

My next projects will be cookies, cupcakes, and 2 birthday cakes (free reign - family).

I have most of the basic necessities, but nothing fancy yet.

5 replies
MSurina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MSurina Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 6

Wish I could be of help. Sounds like fun, fun, fun!! icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 6

I would buy one of the large piping bags....I think it's a 16" and get an icing tip...the really large kinda flat pointed tip, smooth on one side, ridged on the other. I think it makes icing a cake sooooooo much easier. I would also get one of the wilton little turntables if you don't have one.....again, makes icing and decor. life much easier when you can spin the cake. If you want to do a tiered cake,then def. get yourself some decorator plates and separators and don't forget the dowels. Also get yourself some cardboard cake rounds or some foam core board. that's all I've got for now

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 6

I'll add my two cents in.....

You can buy pan sets from wilton - not sure if they will be in your store or not. Around here (Mass) you can buy the set of round, heart, or square for around $35. There are 4 pans all about 2" apart in size (6", 8", 10", 12") in the set.

As for Seperator plates, I prefer to use the push-in pillars (no need to dowel the bottom layer). I can buy the seperator plates for about $8 each depending on the size. The smaller ones are cheaper and large ones are more.

Cake stands, at least in my craft stores are pretty expensive and if you are buying other items, they will most likely put you over the $100. I think your vase idea is great.

That's about all the suggestions I have at the moment. If I think of any others, I'll post another reply.

~Chelle

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 6

as far as cookie cutters, I got the Wilton 100 cookie cutter set - all sorts of things in there, including holidays, letters and numbers (if you don't mind plastic cutters) - thought this was a good value

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 6

your not shopping with out coupons are you? if you get a micheals coupon for 40% off and hobby lobby has one emailed to me everyweek, 40%off and joannes mails me a coupon every other week for 40-50%off.
If your not on the mailing list, you need to be....then shop a bit at a time...you get more stuff.
But since your leaving now, go to hobbylobby.com and see if they have a coupon, if they have a hobby lobby near you.

most importantly, have fun.

I would wait myself and get the pan sets....when I had a coupon...but you do need the sets so you can make tiered cakes.

just my 2 cents!

melody

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%