Lorann Flavors Vs Extracts

Decorating By beetle1948 Updated 9 Aug 2007 , 2:34am by HeatherBecker

beetle1948 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beetle1948 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 5

I bought a few small bottles of the lorann oils. I have never used them. Has anyone used them, if so how much to use.And do you use them in your cakes , icings or both.How to you like them compared to regular extracts. Please post your comments and as always thank you CC. icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 5

Lorann oils require a lot less than extracts to flavor things. Just add a drop at a time until you have the flavor you want. Be especially careful with the cinnamon and clove. They're VERY VERY VERY strong because they are actual cinnamon & clove oil, not just artificial flavoring like most of the others. I once accidentally made fondant that had so much cinnamon oil in it -and that's not that much- that it tasted almost like Big Red gum. Can you say yuck?

I prefer extracts in icing because I can control the amount in there easier, but the benefit of the oils are that you can use less (although per drop they do cost probably nearly the same as a tsp of extract - dunno haven't actually done the math) and you can use it in chocolate and candy melts since they're oil based. Plus there are so many more flavor options.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 5

Here's a link to LorAnn Oils recipe sections:

http://www.lorannoils.com/gor_recipes.htm

HTH

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 5

I used the raspberry LoRann oil to flavor some icing I put on a peanut butter cake. I made the icing and kept adding, kept tasting, etc. I finally only used it for the crunb coat - I am glad. I felt like the icing got stronger as it sat. (does that make sense??) Anyway, the peanut butter and raspberry was delicious together! The crumb coat was just enough - it would have been too much totally iced. Maybe, let it sit alittle before adding that extra drop (really use that eye dropper)

HeatherBecker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherBecker Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 2:34am
post #5 of 5

I have used them in my cake mixes. I think it works out okay, but like earlier said, use a little bit at a time and taste to see what you like. Also beware of the mint flavors like creme de menthe...great for cream cheese mints, but I use it very sparingly...it can be strong too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%