Couldn't Bring Myself To Buy One

Decorating By littleredtonya Updated 18 Aug 2007 , 3:52am by AnythingSugar

littleredtonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littleredtonya Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 63

Okay my hand held mixer died over the weekend. I told my hubby I wanted to get a stand mixer. I even had one picked out. The Pro 600 by KA the pretty copper pearl one. Well my DH told me to go buy it. Well I couldn't bring myself to do it and bought a sunbeam instead from Wal-Mart icon_cry.gif . I hope I am not a discrace to everyone and will not be shunned. Anyway before I get it out of the box to use could anyone tell me if it is any good. If not I will take it back and go buy the one I really want instead.

Tonya

62 replies
dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 63

If you only do occasional cakes and light work the sunbeam should be okay, but if you want to do fondant, bread dough, lots of cakes, I would stick to the KA for the long haul. I love my KA, but my aunt had a sunbeam for years, but she was an occasional baker.

littleredtonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littleredtonya Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 63

See that's what I am totally afraid of. I do a couple cakes a week, plus fondant, and anything else I bake up. I am really thinking I should take it back.

Tonya

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 63

I have had my Kitchenaid for 30 years. I have no idea what the model is. Never have had problems. It's to bad you did not get one at Lowe's last month for $150 (Artisian). Maybe someone else can give more information on the sunbeam.

JulieBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBee Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 63

Go with the Pro 600 and it should be all you'll ever need. You won't be sorry.....

Julie

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 63

I have a sunbeam ( the 100.00 walmart model) I bought it before I got into this heavily ....I say if you are already doing a couple per week.. take it back....unless you want to keep it and maybe purchase a KA not far down the road and keep the sunbeam for lightweight work a lil later...and to have 2 going at times.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 63

Tonya,
I can totally understand why you made the choice you made. I too have a hard time spending lots of money on things. My 1st KA was a gift from my MIL or I would have never had one either. Now that I have had one I couldn't live without it. That being said I would give serious consideration to returning the sunbeam because it sounds like you have enough orders to require the KA and I would hate to see you blow out your sunbeam and have to buy the KA anyway.

Ladybug21587 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug21587 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:21pm
post #8 of 63

I got the kitchen aide 600 series for Christmas.
All I can say is LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.
I think it is well worth its money.
I can make more batches of butter cream at a time.
It even makes my fondant in it great.
I have never had a sunbeam but my mom did and she hated hers.

Everyone has there on taste in mixers, but if it was me I would go for the KA.

Hope that helps

Good Luck!!

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:21pm
post #9 of 63

I love my KA Professional 600, can imagine life without it! icon_biggrin.gif

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:23pm
post #10 of 63

I went to your pics and it would seem you have the bug pretty good...and are going to be a heavy duty baker...so I stand to my last opinion....unless you want to keep this as something for small batches and a second mixer go ahead and get the KA! You deserve it!

Wita58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wita58 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:23pm
post #11 of 63

My daughter has a sunbeam and it was fine until she got into making fondant then the bowl which could be move from the middle to the side could not take the pressure of the fondant and got damaged. so I just bought her a KA from lowes, she can't wait to get it. If you will be baking alot and making fondant I say get the KA.
Blessings,Wita.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:28pm
post #12 of 63

I have the pro 600 and I love it plus I have an extra bowl. Around the holidays I am baking so many cookies. It saves me time.

You will not be sorry with any kitchen aid mixer you get.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:28pm
post #13 of 63

I bought the Sunbeam years ago... now my SIL has it and I have the KA (4.5 qt).

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:30pm
post #14 of 63

Your hubby TOLD you to go get the KA 600?!? Girl, you better get it before he changes his mind!! LOL!! Whenever my hubby tells me to get something that I want, I don't hesitate because it doesn't happen very often icon_smile.gif
Look at it this way. It may be a chunk of change now, but in the long run, it'll save you money and time! Totally worth it! I have the smaller KA and I want the larger someday.

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:31pm
post #15 of 63

Get the KA.. because if you keep the Sunbeam .. later on when you realize you need more power, the KA will be it's cost plus the $100.00 cost of the sunbeam.

I have used handmixer and something similar to the sunbeam. Baking is only my hobby but I bake a lot of cookies at xmas time. I LOVE my KA- 5 qt 450 watt mixer.

Get the KA... Get the KA...

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:33pm
post #16 of 63

We officially give you permission to take it back and BUY THE KA!! icon_lol.gif Have fun!

slb1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slb1956 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:34pm
post #17 of 63

I had the sunbeam one you bought..because i didn't want to spend the money for the KA ...WRONG CHOICE ...IT COULDN'T TAKE THE BUTTERCREAM..TWO MONTHS LATER..I HAD TO BUY A KA...RIGHT CHOICE...i've been using it for 2 years now...my suggestion is to take it back and get the KA...

foots2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foots2 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:42pm
post #18 of 63

Well I had a sunbeam and it was ok for lightweight stuff but not for heavy duty. Its like .......well do I want to eat Spinach or CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!! Ill eat the chocolate every time. IMHO id run to buy that KA if hubby oks it!!!

beckyatkinson1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckyatkinson1964 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:44pm
post #19 of 63

Step away from the Sunbeam.....I have used other brands and just got my KA and will never use anything else again.

beckyatkinson1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckyatkinson1964 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:44pm
post #20 of 63

Step away from the Sunbeam.....I have used other brands and just got my KA and will never use anything else again.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:50pm
post #21 of 63

My vote is for the KA too icon_smile.gif

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:53pm
post #22 of 63

1. Go for the KA!!

2. Heathermari - my heart skipped a beat at your advatar!!! Yes, I know I'm too old for him...yes, I know I'm married...and yes, I know I'd never have a chance with him..........but that man is a wonderful thing to look at !!!!

DCHall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DCHall Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:53pm
post #23 of 63

Take it back and buy the KA that you really wanted. I have a feeling you will end up buying sooner or later anyway. Plus, hubby already oked the purchase! I want a KA mixer but am waiting until we do the kitchen remodel (maybe next summer). Right now I don't have the counter space and my little handheld is fine since I only do occassional cakes for family birthdays (which almost all fall in July and August).

Erika513x2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika513x2 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:58pm
post #24 of 63

don't feel bad I think KA r extremely over priced so right now I don't even look at them, but one day when i'm rich I may get 1

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:58pm
post #25 of 63

I would return it and get the KA. I have a SUNBEAM I got a few years because a store was closing and it was a good price.......but, IT DOESN'T HAVE A PADDLE ATTACHMENT AVAILABLE icon_surprised.gif icon_cry.gif ...I even called and asked Sunbeam.

Soooo, go get that KA!

Elaine

aurasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aurasmom Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:59pm
post #26 of 63

I have a 600 and a 25 year old 4.5 quart Kitchen Aids. My son has one like the smaller one and wants to borrow my older one for his future bride to use until they combine their houses. Go back to Walmart and then get your Kitchen Aid. You will never be happy unless you do.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 7:01pm
post #27 of 63

Irish245,

I was wondering if there were any Pittsburgh-ish people here. You are the first I've seen. Howyadoing?!

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 7:10pm
post #28 of 63

I feel you should have gotten the one you wanted, the KA. Why cheat yourself? You are worth the KA even if you bake one cake a month. Life is too short...work for what you want, get it, and be happy!
Take the Sunbeam back!!! thumbs_up.gif

eneq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eneq Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 7:21pm
post #29 of 63

i say KA thumbs_up.gif . lets see...bed bath and beyond price 399...u can use the 20% coupon...so thats almost 80 dollars off...not too shabby icon_biggrin.gif I know kitchenaid has a 30 dollar rebate on KA artisans right now but i'm not sure about the KA 600.

slb1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slb1956 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 8:04pm
post #30 of 63

Heathermari - my heart skipped a beat at your advatar!!! Yes, I know I'm too old for him...yes, I know I'm married...and yes, I know I'd never have a chance with him..........but that man is a wonderful thing to look at !!!!

hahaha.. i had to go back and look at the Avatar and I agree "right nice looking fella"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%