Help My Practice Cake Fell Apart

Decorating By cakesbygrandma Updated 4 Oct 2006 , 3:51pm by candyladyhelen

cakesbygrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbygrandma Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 7

Help. I made a 12 x 18 2 inch deep sheet cake as a practice for one I must do on the 15th for my granddaughters soccer team. I am new to this and it was my first time making a sheet cake. Cake baked perfect flipped on to cooling rack. Started to fall apart a little when I wrapped in saran wrap. Got wrapped only to find out that it would not fit in my side by side freezer. I left it wrapped in the pan on the counter over night. When I went to decorate it was very moist on top. When I tried to remove from the saran wrap on to a cake board so that I could level and torte it completly fell apart in to hundreds of pieces. HELP WHAT DID I DO WRONG. ANY SUGGESTIONS AS I PROMISED THIS CAKE TO MY GRANDDAUGHTER AND I NEED THIS SIZE AS I AM GOING TO BE PUTTING THE SOCCER BALL ON TOP. THANKS MARIA

6 replies
Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 7

I have noticed that a lot of people here make 2 half sheets and put them together instead of the full so it is easier to work with.
If you don't like that option do a search for a sturdier cake recipe maybe? I know if your using box mix leave out a little of the oil and that will help make it sturdier. Hope I helped a little.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 7

How long did you let it cool in the pan before trying to flip it out? (it needs to cool about 10 -15 minutes only)

Another thing I do with a 12x18 is that I do not put it on a cooling rack - I immediately put it onto the cake board that I am going to use. That way there is not as many times moving it around. (If I am not going to decorate it soon, I wrap the cake board and all in the saran wrap)

And last - did you make sure the cake was completely cooked? I use one flower nail in the center of a cake this size. I make 12x18's a lot and never have any trouble.

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 7

Make sure the cake is completely cool before wraping it. You should also try to clean it up(if it doesnt come out flat on top, cut off the hump) before you wrap it up. When you torte it, try to make it as even as possible. Use a long bread knife and don't cut from side to side. hold knife from both ends and just pull from one side to the other. use a flat cookie sheet (or somthing like it) to slide in between the two halves and lift it. set it aside. add dam and filling. hold sheet over cake and gently slide top half on top. this is the method i use and have necer had a problem. i don't freeze my cakes though. Hope this helps.

cakesbygrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbygrandma Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 7

thank you for responding. Quadcrew I let it cool for about 15 to 20 minutes. Cake was fully cooked (tasted delicious) Do you torte this size cake? Also should I have leveled while in the pan? Thanks for your help. I'm going to try another one today or tomorrow.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, I always level this cake while it is still in the pan. I use a piece of dental floss.....just pull it across the cake and it works perfectly. I also never torte a cake this size (some do, I know) I personally feel this is a huge cake to be trying to mess around with like that. I just make sure it is a nice full sheet cake and no one ever complains. thumbs_up.gif

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 7

I have found that it is much better to make 2 layers rather than on thick one to torte.
I bake one layer, I never put the cake directly onto a cooling rack. When it's ready to come out, I put it directly onto the cake board. I cover w/saran wrap. Then after I bake the 2nd layer, I freeze it. When I have filled the first layer, I then place the frozen 2nd layer on top & wait til it defrosts b/4 I frost.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%