(Big Sigh!) Walmart Logic??

Decorating By indydebi Updated 8 Aug 2007 , 6:37pm by rosiecakes

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:19am
post #1 of 78

The boxes of scalloped potatoes are in the canned food aisle.

Cans of diced tomatoes are NOT in the "Canned Vegetables" aisle .... they are one aisle over, under the sign that says "Tomato SAUCE".

I couldn't find the thin steaks I was looking for because they were under the sign that said "Chicken"!

I can get everything I need for a picnic in one aisle .... paper plates, plastic forks, styrofoam cups, napkins ..... but if I want a styrofoam cooler for ice and soft drinks and I have to walk all the way to the opposite corner of the store to the camping dept!!! (Oh, and by the way, since it's August, the dept mgr told me "they reduced my numbers" so they didn't have any coolers. I guess people are too busy buying WINTER COATS to bother with picnic coolers during a 90 degree heat wave!)

And why are tampons NOT in the same aisle with toilet paper? icon_mad.gif

77 replies
Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:24am
post #2 of 78

indydebi you always crack me up!!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:27am
post #3 of 78

There logic is that the more spaced out things are the more you are going to move around the store and the more likely you will buy something you didn't intend to buy.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:30am
post #4 of 78

That is the one thing BAD about HUGE grocery stores. We have this GREAT store in the burbs of DC Virginia called Wegmann's. They are an east coast growing chain.

Anyway, the store is GREAT. you can find ANYTHING and it is set up very nicely, but yes, when they set up against MY logic, it means going WAY back to the beginning to find what I need.

I am noticing a couple stores now are putting some items in TWO locations to combat that. Like, organic eggs at whole foods is in THREE locations - one near the organic produce where you literally pick each egg from local farms, some in the rest of the egg dept. and some with the coolers in teh center section for some reason.

I've NEVER understood why grocery stores don't have tomato stuff with the canned vegetables. They are ALWAYS in a separate aisle!

I guess that's part of the reason I like to stick to ONE grocery store so I know it, but I'm finding I'm going to two because Whole Foods sells organics eggs, butter and milk cheaper than any other local store near me. But WHole foods doesn't carry everythig else I need, like the brand of diapers I prefer! You can't win, I guess!

melissa

Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:31am
post #5 of 78

I AGREE! This has been a rant of mine for quite some time.. I don't get why the bagged Chex Snack Mix and the caramal popcorn is the only 'food' stuff on the toilet paper aisle and NOT with the other snack stuff or chips.

There are three different refrigerated sections in three different parts of the store that carry packaged deli meat - if I want Sara Lee it's up front near the deli, Oscar Mayer is on the side of the store with the cheese and Hillshire Farms is in the back with the sour cream and mexican...

AGGHH! why are 13 gallon trash bags on one side of the store with the toilet paper, but the 4 gallon is over on the other side with the disposable dishes/containers/ and shelf paper...

I don't get it either!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:31am
post #6 of 78

I remember being so excited when we were going to get a Super Wal-Mart. I thought nothing could be better--now I hate it!!! If only they would put everything I need in one aisle and no one seems to understand the personal space we all need--Why push your cart to the very handle of my cart when I am unloading my cart --I have to get back there eventually to enable you to push your cart to the check out after me!!!!!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:37am
post #7 of 78

It's getting to where I avoid Wal-Mart. It's so difficult to figure out their "system". indydebi, I loved your observations! Very funny!

Michele

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:42am
post #8 of 78

You mean the Super Walmart i am looking forward to opening in Sept 2008 will NOT be a good thing???

I know it drives me crazy going all over the place.. But you know what?? They get me everytime.. i always end up with at least 5 items I never intended to buy. Could that be the reason i can not walk around in my basement???? ummmmm ??

baka4lyfe20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baka4lyfe20 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:43am
post #9 of 78

I stopped going to Wal-Mart a few years ago after I saw some program on CNBC about them. Unfortunately, I can't get my parents to stop!

lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:50am
post #10 of 78

And the aisles are designed so you have to go down every one. The tinned tomatoes are with the sauce so you might think to buy something in that aisle cause if you didn't get that tin you wouldn't have remembered that mayonaisse or something. Breads or some other essential in the same aisle as the chocolates and toys opposite some other essential such as stationary etc...
Same in Australia but I would imagine designed so that you buy more because you can't just get one or two items in the same asile. agghhh feeling your pain.

indydebi Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:56am
post #11 of 78

In my ever-so-never-humble opinion, the super-stores are a generation too late.

"Back in my day", the dad would come home on payday and load the family up in the station wagon to "go to town", where we would do all the shopping for the week.....groceries, new underwear, prescriptions, gas up the car for the week, etc. Back then, dad's worked, mom's stayed home, and most households only had one car .... so mom couldnt' do all the errands during the day .... it was all done on one day of the week.

With this kind of shopping pattern, the big super groceries would have been ideal! One stop shopping for that one trip "to town" to get everything you need. but no ..... my parents had to go to 5 or 6 different stores to get everything they need. And if they forgot something, they waited until the next payday.

Today ... with two working parents putting in more hours than my dad ever thought of working in one week, and everything so rushed, the big football field size store is NOT convenient. When I need JUST a gallon of milk, I don't FEEL like walking 2 city blocks to the back of the store for it! If I need deli bologna, milk, aspirin and a styrofoam cooler, that means I have to walk to ALL FOUR CORNERS OF THE STORE!

And after a long day at work, then fighting traffic to get to daycare in time to pick up the kids, then stop at the store for those four lousy items, you just don't want to do your 30 minutes of exercise right then.

Give me back my mom-and-pop store so I can just go get a gallon of milk.

My husband refuses to go to walmart, even tho' only a big fence separates our subdivision from their parking lot. He drives 20 minutes to a locally owned store ..... who by the way has a cooler right inside the front door filled with milk and juice for their customer's convenience!

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:38am
post #12 of 78

Since we are on the topic of Walmart, I hate this store. I just went today, needing everything under the sun. I put it off until I am down to nothing. I only go there when I have to go to the bank which is in that town. The stradegy of placement of items is well thought out by the marketing depts. Thats why all the milk, cheese and eggs are usually at the back of the store. The things that you would normally buy the most of are scattered to the four walls. Vendors pay for space. Eye level placement costs the most. That is why the cheaper stuff is on the bottom of the shelves, most people grab the most convienent spot which is eye level.The end caps are not always specials, the stradegy is to place it there for you to think it is a special. Same things with bins and baskets. The idea of course is for you to pick up that item. If you see an end lets say that has spaghetti sauce, they know if you pick it up you will probably need pasta to go with it, thus forcing you to go down that aisle to get it and of course some other items that you really did not need. Besides all this I get really iritated at the service, it just plain stinks! I was at the deli, and 5 people were back there, and do you think that one of them would acknowledge that I was standing there, heck no! I had to ask to be waited on. Then there is the self check out line. It's bad enough, but now at this store you can only check out 20 items or less, forcing you to wait in the long lines of which they never have enough checkers. I try not going to WM, I use my local store when I can. I was so stressed today my DH said maybe he needs to do the shopping from now on. Sounds good to me. If we didn't need to eat I would not go shopping at all.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 1:31pm
post #13 of 78

I absolutely agree that the marketing/placement strategy drives me nuts.....but I LOVE WalMart! I do nearly all of my shopping there, every 2-3 weeks! LOVE buying in bulk from them.....hate the wait in the checkout lanes, but since I'm only there to "stock-up", it's not so bad, plus I've got the aisles just about memorized, so I'm like a machine on a mission! I can go to my neighborhood store and pay 3x as much...and to be honest, things are just as spread out there, just under a much smaller roof! UGH!

indydebi Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 1:43pm
post #14 of 78

Ah, cambo, I call it the store I love to hate or hate to love! icon_lol.gif

I stopped sending hubby to pick me up things at the last minute becuase he wont' go in walmart. but for some reason I can't convince him that paying $2.97 for a cake mix at the other grocery is nuts when the same one is $0.93 at walmart!

I'm in there sometimes twice a day. It's too convenient being "right over the fence" from me .... all the greeters know me by name and even the cashiers! One cashier noticed when I got a haircut and new glasses! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

But I still get ticked when I can't find what I need!

I know about the marketing ploys .... and it ticks me off when they think I can be manipulated or 'tricked' into buying things I don't want just because it's next to the orange juice! I am always pointing out these types of things to my daughter to teach her how she's being played!

Although the store hubby goes to .... their produce section is a freakin' MAZE to get thru! Hate that even worse!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 1:52pm
post #15 of 78

Super Walmart isn't so bad for a 7am workout-you do at least a mile of walking and get to the checkout before other people are even in the store! thumbs_up.gif

Edited to add: if you think winter coats this time of year are bad, have you been to Hobby Lobby?! Already 5 flippin aisles of CHRISTMAS CRAP!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 1:53pm
post #16 of 78

I hate Walmart but I find a reason to go there nearly every day!

Ours employs a every lunatic in our area. Once, I was slowing down to let an old man pass in front of me, he was coming out of Radio Shack, beside Walmart. A lady behind me was blowing her horn, yelling, totally road raging w/ her 8 yr old son in the car. Then she floors it and passes me on the left-and ran over the old man! I mean, his legs flew up in the air. She was a Walmart employee.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 1:59pm
post #17 of 78

i simply HATE walmart. it stresses me out more than anything i can think of! just parking in their darn parking lot is like fighting a war. no one watches where they're going, people just start walking in front of cars without looking. and i hate to sound mean, but i have never encountered more people who literally smell bad than when im at walmart. and it doesn't seem to matter which walmart i go to, a lot of the customers stink! so i never go there, lol. i would much prefer going to kroger and target. i can check out quickly, park safely, and i even enjoy being in target! if i have to pay 30 cents more for flour, so be it. i assume that 30 cents is whats paying for a nice atmosphere and, excuse me, a slightly different "clientele" if you know what i mean.

gakali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gakali Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:06pm
post #18 of 78

While we're bashing Wal-Mart...why is it that I can be in line at the grocery store with my hundred items, behind 2 other people with their hundred items.....and still be out of the store within 5 minutes?! At Wal-Mart, on the other hand, if I'm third in line (behind people who have WAY less items than they would at the grocery store) I know I'm going to be there for at least 20 minutes! Why oh why are their cashiers so slow?!? icon_cry.gificon_mad.gif

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:13pm
post #19 of 78

I also hate Walmart and haven't been in one since all their bad publicity a few years back...

I love Wegmans! They originated here in NY and I can't imagine a better grocery store... neatness. cleanliness, organization... Highly recommended icon_smile.gif

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:16pm
post #20 of 78

We don't have a super walmart in my town but it's a half a super lol. So I guess it's a supmart lmfao

When you walk in the door you have McDonalds MINI next to you, then mens clothing next to that, women's clothing to your striaght ahead right then you go right and you've got all the check outs, then the cosmetics, then the pharmacy, then you get into the crazy section...

First you have condoms and pregnancy tests, then female AIDS, tampons, pads, and then fish! yes gold fish and rainbow fish and other fish for aquariums lmao... those are all along the right wall, to your left at these sections you have the OTC medicine which half of it you can't buy OTC counter anymore and you have to go to the pharmacy back three isles to purchase it BUT WAIT! you didn't know you needed that little card thingie so you have to go back 3 isles to get it and come back and get back in line again only to be told you have to fill out federal forms with info such as what you're going to do with the medication before you can pay $35.00 for a box of sinus pills lmfao... Then after the OTC meds you have hair care... and body order aids and hair color and then pet supplies... then pet foods then the clearance isles...

On the other side of these isles you have toys, and at the end of this section you have the garden/seasonal department.

Back up near the registers across from cosmetics you have all the FOOD. You have one side of the first isle is candy. Other side is bread and PBJ items, snack cakes and such like pop tarts. Next isle over starts the cold stuff... cereal on one side milk and cheese and such items like lunch meat, bacon, eggs etc on the other. Turn to next isle you have frozen foods followed by the boxed and canned goods followed by sodas and water and finally household appliances (mixers and blenders and microwaves) butts into toys.

Now keep in mind you've only covered HALF the store so far. Behind toys you have hunting camping and outdoors/indoors weight lifting etc. Followed by automotive and crafts and fabric behind there. Next to all this behind toys (two sections of toys devided by a large walk thru) you have small household needs such as greeting cards (starts behind candy and bread) going into party supplies like plates and pinata's, followed by office/school supplies like paper and binders and pens and pencils, followed by safes and such, then you get into trash cans and storage bins and such and lead into the dishes, silverwares, pots, pans, and SMALL section of baking needs (pans and such).

Behind these you have electronics, toilet papers, cleaning supplies, hardware, and paint. Next to the craft department you have bedding and working back behind electronics towels and such, working back behind women's clothing, you have jewelry, then candles, and furniture and shoes, and behind mens you have boys, then girls, then baby sections....

That's our walmart lmfao. It's a PITA! to get thru here and I avoid it as often as possible. Whenever we need anything I park out front and send hubby in to grab it lol. Last night I sent him in for 10 cans of cat food, 2 cans of treats, 1-18 pack of eggs. Then when I left there I forgot we needed bread, and jelly so we went to Food Lion near our house on the opposite side of town from walmart and he went in got 1 loaf of bread, 1 jar of jelly, (same isle), then one can of carrots, and one can of corn. It took him twice as long in the smaller grocery store then it did in walmart. Granted in walmart he grabbed the eggs on his way past to get the cat food but had to double back to the registers lol. Food lion is just as bad though because you walk in and you can go straight ahead to the canned goods and then to get the bread and jelly and pb you have to go to the entire other end of the store... it makes no sense how these stores stock things... and don't get me started on Giant... they just remodeled and have moved things to the stupidest places so bad going thru there I won't even go in there anymore except to the bakery to get my roses lol.

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:20pm
post #21 of 78

Oh, My goodness! All this WalMart bashing. I LOVE WalMart. I live in a small town with a locally owned grocery store and WalMart is about a half hour drive. I go to WalMart at least once a week. I have no problem finding what I need there...it all makes sense to me...of course, I've taken 3 marketing classes in my college career, perhaps that's why it makes sense to me? Or maybe just because I've been going there so long and so often I've got it all under control?! Either way...I don't have a problem getting around and finding what I need. And since I'm usually the only adult dragging three young kids (5, 4, 1 1/2) I think it says a lot that I can find anything icon_lol.gif We're a family of 5 on a very limited budget and WalMart is the most affordable....even paying the gas to make the little longer drive is worth the prices I pay at WalMart.

I always get the ad for the local store and we buy sale items. Also get a lot of our meat there (better than WalMart quality wise) and pick up odds and ends as needed throughtout the week. But if you think WalMart is set up strange....you should see this store. It's a grocery store, hardware store, cell phone, florist...and it's all jumbled together. I can't find a thing there and I've lived here for 5 years!

I guess it's just a matter of what you get used to and what prices you are willing to pay.

BECCAKELLY-that's too funny about the smelly people. My cousin lives in a tourist town on the lake and she says the same thing about the WalMart shoppers there. I have to say, at my WalMart I don't notice any more stinky people then usual icon_lol.gif

meldancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meldancer Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:21pm
post #22 of 78

Ohhhh, I hate Walmart! Everything is spread out so I end up being the mom with the 3 kids that everyone hates to encounter. My kids are screaming their heads off because we have to walk back across the store for something I forgot. Then I go to grab a Diet Coke out of one of the pop coolers by the registars, only to discover that Pepsi is in all the coolers near the regular entrance and the Coke products are near the grocery checkouts. So I have to walk back down to get my boost of energy, and then walk back to the other end of the check outs because that is closer to where I parked my car.

It also gets me that they have 5000 registers and only the 3 at each end are open, with 50 people in each line. What is that all about? ERRr icon_sad.gif

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:22pm
post #23 of 78

We are getting a Walmart here where I live. It's out by the highway and I like to walk for my groceries so hopefully I won't have to go very often. You guys made me think of this joke my dad sent me. I hope it's okay to post it. It's very appropriate. LOL

Grocery Shopping

A new supermarket opened near my house. It has an automatic water mister to keep the produce fresh. Just before it goes on, you hear the sound of distant thunder and the smell of fresh rain.

When you pass the milk cases, you hear cows mooing and you experience the scent of fresh mown hay.

In the meat department there is the aroma of charcoal grilled steaks with onions.

When you approach the egg case, you hear hens cluck and cackle, and the air is filled with the pleasing aroma of bacon and eggs frying.

The bread department features the tantalizing smell of fresh baked bread & cookies.

I don't buy toilet paper there anymore.

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:23pm
post #24 of 78
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:27pm
post #25 of 78

I have to say I love Walmart here...but then it may be different here in Canada.I agree it can get busy but I never go there on holidays and weekends! I really never thought about their marketing stragedy but it doesn't bother me!I know where everything is and the cashiers here are friendly and fast.The prices are much less than the grocery stores and believe it or not ...there is staff everywhere to ask questions! Funny stories though...

chqtpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chqtpi Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:27pm
post #26 of 78

Now as a former Walmart employee ( I was in college and desperate-lol) I can definetly see what you mean by disorganization and marketing ploys and such..but you have to remember they didnt make billions and billions by putting the styrofoam coolers with the pans, canned tomatoes with the vegetables and eggs and milk in the front of the store icon_smile.gif They shove this logic down your throat that the customers pay YOUR bills...so the best way to do that is to get them to buy 4 million things taht you never needed...my poor mother alone has probably put 5 cashiers thru college at this point...

Now thankfully the Walmart I used to work at was near an ARMY base...so most of the employees were spouses whos husbands were deployed and needed something to do...so they werent that bad...but they do have a non-discriminatory policy..so they will hire every Tom, Dick and Harry to do SOMETHING!......with that said...

I LOVE WEGMANS!!!! lol....they did start up here in NY and they were voted one of the best small chain grocery stores in the nation...they really are incredible...they have EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING...they even sell cookware and have an INCREDBILE aisle of seasonal items...plates, silverware, Adirondack chairs..and the displays are always nice..the store is ALWAYS clean...I would totally be ok if Wegmans took over the world icon_smile.gif lol...not to mention..they get ALL of their produce from local farmers...and some of their meats and cheeses from the local community as well...they really are awesome icon_smile.gif

Bijoudelanuit...where are you from? icon_smile.gif Its always niec to see another New YOrker on here icon_smile.gif

meldancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meldancer Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:28pm
post #27 of 78

lorrieg - does the toilet paper isle flush? HEE HEE! :0 icon_smile.gif

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:33pm
post #28 of 78

icon_twisted.gif My dad sends me some really good jokes. It's worth all the trips to his house to fix whatever he messes up on his computer. He's 81. And he'll eat ANY cake I make and love it.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:35pm
post #29 of 78

ok so I live out in "da woods" so we don't have any of them new fangled fancy super walmarts...lol In fact the one wal mart we do have is about 40 mins from my home. Lets just put it this way when you walk through the door instead of hearing the little "ding dong" chrip of the door sensor ours plays "the duling banjos" and there can sometimes be heard in the distance some angry guy saying "squeal like a pig!!"
I go in there as little as possible icon_wink.gif

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:41pm
post #30 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by baka4lyfe20

I stopped going to Wal-Mart a few years ago after I saw some program on CNBC about them. Unfortunately, I can't get my parents to stop!

Do you honestly believe everything you hear? You know, this topic really gets on my nerves and offends me. I worked in Walmart management for 8 yrs. and I worked my butt off! You all say how Walmart is so bad you all hate it but you all will be there tomorrow or this weekend right? Why do you think they are so successful? It's because all of you shop there!!! And the reason why it is so big is because they have so much stuff. If they didn't, you would complain about that too! You complain about having to walk so much......well you know what? We all need the exercise anyway! America is becoming obese ya know? I got a novel idea, if you don't like it......don't go!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%