Submarine Cake?

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 5 Oct 2006 , 2:42pm by springlakecake

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 11:39am
post #1 of 6

I had a call yesterday about doing a cake for an 84 year old man's birthday. She said he is really into submarines as he works at the museum submarine the uss silversides. I think she really would like the cake to be a sculped cake, though I have never done one and want to get some help here before I commit one way or the other. The problem is the uss silversides doesnt really look like what I thought a submarine was supposed to look like! It looks more like a ship from what I can tell and I cant find a very good picture. Anyone know anything about submarines? Also any help on sculpting a cake like this would be helpful. I am attaching a photo of the uss silversides. I wish I could find a picture of what it is supposed to look like in the back.
LL

5 replies
gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 6

I've seen an awesome sub cake here on CC before!
Am searching the galleries now looking for it...

Wow, found several! Maybe you can get some pointers from their makers!
LL
LL
LL

AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 6

Love that 3rd pic GMcakes! Goood finds!

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 6

http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08236.htm

This site seemed to have several diffrent views of same sub. Hope it helps. (Not only did you give me a good idea for a cake, but I also got a history lesson today.)

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 6

I knew they weren't quite the right shape, but I hope the pics give you a good starting point!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you everyone for your time and research. I called her and told her I would give a 3d submarine a shot. It is a little out of my comfort zone, but I need to force myself to try something new.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%