Need Help-> How Do I Paint With Luster Dust

Decorating By lyndy1974 Updated 6 Aug 2007 , 8:05pm by HBcakes

lyndy1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndy1974 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, so I'm still new at cake decorating, can someone please tell me, if I want to paint on fondant should I use luster dust and mix it with Vodka? And if I want the paint effect on frosting what should I use?

5 replies
kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 6

There are several forums on painting with luster dust..........yes, it can be painted on mixed with vodka...........fondant or BC.........see this link, lots of good info.........

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-51272.html

lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 6

i use Gin, or over here we can buy rejuvinator spirit which works just as well and is cheaper to buy

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 6

I use vodka and/or lemon extract. I've used it on fondant, and even on fresh buttercream.. Just have to use a very light touch if using it on fresh icing. Very light.

Hope this helps,

Holly

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 6

i only use vodka to paint w/ luster dust, using extract dries to fast and leaves to many streaks. it goes on way smoother w/ the grain alcohol. good luck thumbs_up.gif

HBcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HBcakes Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 6

I'm so glad you brought this up! I just tried LD for the first time this weekend, and all I had was Lemon Juice. Of course it didnt' work well & I was quite discouraged. I'm going to try to the Vodka & give it another whirl. Also- anyone- does the alcohol make a difference on how the LD takes to candy melts?? I wasn't having luck with that either. I'm sure some of these questions sound silly, but I'm still glad there's a place to get them answered!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%