Need Help Making Ou Crimson

Decorating By SimplyM Updated 11 Oct 2006 , 11:14pm by SimplyM

SimplyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyM Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 9

TX / OU is almost here and I have to make crimson and ivory pom-poms for some OU fans. Has anyone mixed colors to make crimson? I tested four different mixes and am not quiet liking the colors. I am looking for which colors to mix and what ratio of each color.

Thanks, Melissa

8 replies
amylynn8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amylynn8 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 3:29am
post #2 of 9

i have never done crimson but here is a bump.

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:36am
post #3 of 9

Crimson is a strong, bright deep red color combined with some blue, it is between magenta and red on the colour wheel so maybe you could try to add the very slightest bit of blue to your red and see how that works out.. I would go very slowly when adding the blue.. you can always add more but hard to take away once you have too much. Good luck,
Liz

bransmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bransmom Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 12:23pm
post #4 of 9

If this is the same color that you need, I used Wilton No Taste Red and Burgandy together. Just add a little at a time to get the color you desire. I tried adding blue and it didn't work for me. I use Americolor now, so I have no problems whatsover.
Good luck
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=bransmom&cat=0&pos=7

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 12:26pm
post #5 of 9

Just color them burnt orange and be done with it icon_wink.gif

Just kidding! Even for money, My heart cannot make crimson.

GO POKES!

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 12:32pm
post #6 of 9

I would suggest the burgandy and red--someone mentioned it already. Mix it and let it set a minute or two for the color to develop--it gets darker as the time goes. I had to make a blood red for a wedding cake and I could not get it. I went ahead and decorated the cake and it did get darker.

SimplyM Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 7:08pm
post #7 of 9

JustFrosting,
LOL! You made my day. I am a born and bred Texas girl. It pains me to make crimson, but I am just getting my name out there.

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I am going to try again tonight with a new batch of BC. I need to find a good color wheel. That's a great idea.

I will provide an update with the outcome.

Melissa

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 2:53am
post #8 of 9

I looked at the link from bransmom and I think that colour is a perfect crimson..
Liz

SimplyM Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 11:14pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks to everyone on the advice. The cakes turned out well. I make a set of pom poms and a megaphone in crimson and cream. My client was happy. I was bummed that I forgot my camera. Lesson learned. Take pictures before you leave the house.

BTW ... This is a great forum. You are a wonderful group of artists. Thank you for all your sharing.

Big Texas hug to all,
Melissa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%