Paint/somehow Get Color Variations On Fondant?

Decorating By kathik Updated 3 Oct 2006 , 3:46pm by KHalstead

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 10:47am
post #1 of 5

I am working on a cake with "bamboo" slats and I have a pretty good idea on how to get the shape of the slats, but I am having trouble with color. I have a picture below to show what I am trying to capture. So how do I get a color that is reddish brown with a green undertone? And how do I "paint"? black splatters on them? I don't want someone to touch their cake and get food paste all over them!!! Okay, so maybe I bit off a little more than I can chew with this cake, but I really want to make a great looking cake! Please help me!!!!!

Thanks,
Kathi
LL

4 replies
dish1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dish1971 Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 5

Are you working with fondant? If you are, try using petal dust. You can mix it with a clear spirit like vodka to make "paint" and then paint it with a paintbrush. Experiment on an extra piece of fondant until it looks the way you want. what are you trying to make?
trish

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 5

I water down my gell colors and paint with them. For the splatter mars try a new toothbrush and dip it in the watered down gell color and flick it with you finger nail... That is how Jackson Pollak did his splatter paint...Good Luck

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, I am working with fondant. I am making a Bar Mitzvah cake for this weekend to look like the symbols of Sukkot (which starts this weekend). My hope is to have the top of it look as much like the photo below as possible. I already practiced making the etrog (fruit) and lulav (center part of the plant arrangement). I am planning to use the real leaves of an extra myrle and willow to make green tinted chocolate leaves and probably fondant for the stems. I think I probably took on a little much, but I really like a challenge, and my friend gave me free rein. No one around here has ever seen a fondant covered cake, so I am really hoping to do a good job.

When you say gell colors, do you mean like the Wilton gels? I don't have access to any place that sells petal dust right now, so I can't try that right now.

Thanks for any and all help!!
Kathi
LL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 5

I would make the fondant a light brown and then water down some of the brown Wilton food gels with vodka, or clear vanilla extract or something like that with a high alcohol content (so it will evaporate quickly)....and then brush it on and make it kinda streaky....the brown color will be the darker brown!! Do a test on some extra fondant until you're comfortable with the process. Another option for you might be to find some scrap booking paper with the slats on it.....( they have thousands of designs) and just cover the cake board with it and then cover that with clear contact paper!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%