Lots Of Questions - Baby Shower Cake **updated**

Decorating By LearningCurve Updated 7 Aug 2007 , 6:02pm by LearningCurve

LearningCurve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LearningCurve Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 20

Thanks to all who helped with this cake. Here is the original thread...

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-4571793.html#4571793

Here is the finished product. I couldn't have done without all the help from my fellow ccers.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=879113

Thanks again,
Amanda

19 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 20

Wow, it's beautiful! Congrats! icon_smile.gif

jenny518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny518 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 20

It's really pretty! Good job!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 20

It turned out awesome! I was just reading through your previous thread and noticed you got 44 servings at $2.00 each. First of all, that's $88 which is closer to $90 than $80 (I'd be rounding up!!!) When I look at that cake I thought "No way that's an $80 cake!!" 44 servings didnt' sound right to me. I looked on the wilton chart and they say 60 servings. That made more sense to me because it looks much more like a $120 cake!! You deserve it!

LearningCurve Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 20

Thank you all for your nice comments. I was pretty happy with how it came out. There were so many things on this cake that I have never done before.

I got a lot of great comments at the party and people asking why the heck am I not selling cakes. That made me feel pretty good. I know I have a long way to go to get to the point a lot of you are at but it felt good that so many enjoyed my cake. Hopefully with more practice I will be ready to sell cakes in the future.

Alanahodgson - on the chart I was using I was getting 53 servings (I think) The 44 servings was what another person replied with. I am pretty new to this so I was asking if this is what others thought. I thought it was an awful lot of work and money for $88.00! But again I know very little about all of this especially the selling side so it is hard to know what is a good price to set. When you say $120 should that cover the cost of the flowers or should that be extra?? Thanks for the input!

Thanks again for all the nice comments about the cake. Anyone see anything that could be improved?? I am always up for constructive critisism.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:41am
post #6 of 20

The cost of the flowers I guess is debatable. If you can use them again, then I'd say maybe only add a "rental" fee. If the customer is going to keep them then I think I'd add them in to the price.

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 7:13am
post #7 of 20

Beautiful. You did a great job thumbs_up.gif

LearningCurve Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 12:14pm
post #8 of 20

Thanks again for all the nice comments about my cake, all in all I am pretty happy with the cake.

alanahadgson thanks for the help and for answering my questions.

Thanks again,
Amanda

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 12:23pm
post #9 of 20

You did a fab job... I honestly cant find a thing to give you critisim about and that quite a feat I can usually find something on everyones cakes... Great Great job..keep up the good work and dont be afraid to charge your work is WORTH EVERY PENNY

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 12:27pm
post #10 of 20

$2 per serving is on the way cheap side of a fondant decorated cake, especially an illusion cake like this one. That takes a lot of time and effort. The bees that were made ahead also took more time. Most of the "seasoned" people on here I'm sure would charge closer to $4 per serving or more. That's just my hunch. It's a great cake! thumbs_up.gif

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 12:32pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearningCurve

Thanks to all who helped with this cake. Here is the original thread...

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-4571793.html#4571793

Here is the finished product. I couldn't have done without all the help from my fellow ccers.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=879113

Thanks again,
Amanda

This cake is gorgeous Amanda.... congratulations~! I cannot figure out how the cake was constructed <scratchin head icon_confused.gif > What am I missing??
(lookin for my sign for forehead......)

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 12:44pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdqueen

$2 per serving is on the way cheap side of a fondant decorated cake, especially an illusion cake like this one. That takes a lot of time and effort. The bees that were made ahead also took more time. Most of the "seasoned" people on here I'm sure would charge closer to $4 per serving or more. That's just my hunch. It's a great cake! thumbs_up.gif

The cake is buttercream with fondant accents, right? I know we've PM'd about this.....but I thought it was larger and served more.....I probably would have charged $2.75/serving if it's buttecream with fondant accents....so about $146 for the cake, then an xtra $10 for the premade bees and an add'l $25 for the flowers (would depend on your cost, of course)....then there's always the deposit for your supports/plates on top of that (but that's refundable). Heck, I probably would have charge an extra fee for the "assembly" since it's a unique support! Great job, BTW!

MadPhoeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadPhoeMom Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 12:56pm
post #13 of 20

i charge $2 a serving IF it's JUST buttercream......
PLUS the cost of flowers, and fondant work....
that is ONE fabulous cake....

i hope they were VERY pleased.

question: what is an 'illusion' cake?
comments: gerber daisies are my favorite!!!

it's gorgeous,
sally

LearningCurve Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 1:01pm
post #14 of 20

CakesByLJ ~ Here is the thread that talks about construction..
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-44743.html

Cammie ~ Yes it is all bc with fondant accents and fondant top "cap" on bottom layer. I believe (I forget which chart I used erlene's or indydebi's) I got around 53 servings.

tnuty ~ I sure you can find something icon_wink.gif . I know I can icon_razz.gif .

mgdqueen ~ thanks for the input on pricing. It helps a lot.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:26pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearningCurve

CakesByLJ ~ Here is the thread that talks about construction..
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-44743.html

Thanks LearningCurve; and to Lazy_Susan for the directions.... now I can put my sign away icon_wink.gif

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:44pm
post #16 of 20

That is one great cake!!! Wow.. will i be able to make one like that someday???

Congratulations!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:56pm
post #17 of 20

Wow, I love that cake! It's gorgeous! You should be so proud of yourself. thumbs_up.gif

LearningCurve Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:31pm
post #18 of 20

sally ~ Thank you on the info about pricing and your kind words. If you see in my other post the link for the construstion of the cake. That is for a calla lilly illusion cake. My cake construction only differed slightly as I didn't have enough stems.

cakesbylj~I'm glad you can take down your sign icon_wink.gif .

iramirez94~Yes you can!!! If you look at the cakes in my photos that is truely the amount of cakes I have "decorated". I have one that I did for my mom and dad's anniversary that had a chocolate wrap but didn't have time to get a picture. I am truely a begginner. I am just willing to jump in with both feet!

valora387~ Thank you for the compliments!

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 5:23pm
post #19 of 20

Stunning cake! I'm impressed that you are so willing to try difficult techniques and still a newbie--Learningcurve, your skill shows you can sell cakes; Take a leap of faith & get out there!

LearningCurve Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 6:02pm
post #20 of 20

apclassicwed ~ That is too kind. I still have a lot to learn before I sell cakes. But it is always nice for someone to think you are good enough.

Actually if anyone is still reading this, I was wondering about taking the wilton classes. Are they worth it? I am all self trained. But thought about taking the classes. For those that took it was it worth it?

Thanks again,
Amanda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%