Melting Buttercream When Making Roses

Decorating By patticakesnc Updated 5 Oct 2006 , 5:04pm by getfrosted

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 2:14am
post #1 of 10

Ok Not sure if this is a normal thing or if it is just me. When I am making my roses from buttercream it seems that my icing starts melting in my bag (from heat from my hands). I only get a few done before it is just way too soft.

Any ideas? Can I do anything to avoid this at all?

9 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 3:23am
post #2 of 10

What recipe of buttercream are you using?

If it has butter in it, it will begin to melt pretty quickly from the heat of your hands. The only way I've found to avoid this is to keep two bags going--one kept in the fridge with the same rose tip on it so that I can switch out when they start to get blobby.

If you make your roses with an all Crisco icing, it will hold up a lot longer.

Rae

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 3:30am
post #3 of 10

I have the same problem, no matter what recipe I use. I was taught given two suggestions - one was to use a parchment bag instead of plastic, which only worked for me if I used small bags and made 1 rose per bag, or to double the bag. Slip a second plastic bag over the first one, and just cut enough off the tip for the piping tip to go through. That suggestion worked much better.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 10

You can also freeze one of those little blue things for lunchboxes, and after each rose, pick that up and hold it in your hands for a little while - along with having 2 bags going, that will help.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 10

I have "hot" hands all the time. That's why I only do Fondant roses and avoid piping buttercream Roses.. How about if you wear gloves ?
Rubber gloves or those glove you use for handling hot stuff in the kitchen.
Not the mit, but the one that is made of yellow fabric made esp. for
holding hot things in the kitchen. icon_smile.gif

patticakesnc Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks all. I made some more roses the other night for my SIL's brithday mini cakes tomorrow. I had the same problem but not as bad. I did thicken the buttercream more and laid the bag down and took breaks. I only have one rose tip so I couldn't go between two bags........(hmmmm, lightbulb) I guess I could have transferred that tip huh? LOL you don't think about that at 2am!

The roses turned out pretty good. I did have some weepy ones but overall they look pretty good.

I am going to try to use all the ideas. I don't know if I could use the gloves I am a little awkward in them and I have larger hands.

I haven't learned fondant roses yet. I have made gumpaste carnations and such but no roses yet. They are so beautiful they are a little intimidating.

I guess on the buttercreams I will just have to do a few at a time until I find my nich.

By the way you guys are great! I have only been on the board a few days but am highly addicted. I love to bake and love learning how to make cakes and everyone here is so nice and helpful. I did another business prior to this and other people in the business were so cut throat and no one wanted to help only bash you. I did find a couple nice people but that was out of hundreds.

I love support!

JackSkellington11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackSkellington11 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 10

There is three consistencies of buttercream frosting:
thin: If you stick a spoon in it, it shouldnt hold it up, you would use it for leaves and icing your cake and stars, drop flowers.

medium: If you stick a spoon in it it should just barely hold it up, it can be used for shells and most borders.

Thick: if you stick your spoon in it it should hold it up without a problem, you would use that for roses.

You dont need to make three different batches for the different consistencies because you can seperate one batch or however many batches you need to make the cake into three containers and if you want it stiffer add powdered sugar if you want it thinner add milk or water.

Be sure not to make your stiff too stiff or the rose petals will crack!

You will know if it is too stiff if you try to squeeze frosting out and it is difficult.

I hope I helped!

patticakesnc Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks JackSkellington11

I do believe that mine was too thin. I would say medium. My roses turn out pretty good but they are too droopy and I would like them to stand up more. I will definity "thicken" up next time.

Thanks agian all!

Andie1515 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andie1515 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 5:02pm
post #9 of 10

I have the same problem b/c my hands are too hot. I use the canvas bags and have not had a problem since switching. They are also a lot nicer to use because they don't slip in your hands.

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 5:04pm
post #10 of 10

This post hit-home with me. Yesterday I had to make over 250 buttercream roses for a cake I'm doing this weekend. Needless to say, I had 4 bags going and was making them for what felt like an eternity!

I have hot hands and I could probably get 5 done before I had to switch off my bags - not fun and I don't want to ever do that again. I'm surprised that my right hand still moves today! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%