Stacked Cake Loses The Icing??

Decorating By 29apr00 Updated 7 Aug 2007 , 4:17am by azmomto3

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 12:51am
post #1 of 17

I made my 1st stacked cake this weekend, for my niece's 5th birthday. When we removed the top layer to cut, all the icing from the bottom came away with the top!! It was crappy, the bottom cake had no icing on it. Dh said he couldn't think of anyway to not have that happen, but i'm sure something can be done!! I've never seen a wedding cake with no icing on it.

What to do??

16 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 12:54am
post #2 of 17

you can put a little ps where you are going to stack the second cake on top and that prevents the icing from sticking to the board of the top cake. And make sure your icing has crusted on the bottom cake before stacking.

HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 1:39am
post #3 of 17

The crusting BC will help a lot. Look at these pics of me cutting a cake: http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page19.html Notice the dowels are ever so slightly below the surface of the icing; notice the imprint in the top of the icing that shows the separator plate was sitting directly on the icing. Yet none of the icing pulled away.

Good, crusting BC.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 2:04am
post #4 of 17

I prefer a non-crusting icing, so I sprinkle coarse sugar on the top of the cake where the plate will sit.

cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 3:57am
post #5 of 17

I'm new to this so are you supposed to frost each layer individually and let them crust before stacking? how do you then stack without messing up the top layer? And then how do you cover the seperating plate?I have apparently been doing this all wrong....

indydebi Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 4:07am
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassi_g16

I'm new to this so are you supposed to frost each layer individually and let them crust before stacking? how do you then stack without messing up the top layer? And then how do you cover the seperating plate?I have apparently been doing this all wrong....

Cake layer #1 on cake board/plate. COver with filling. Add 2nd layer cake. Crumb coat all.

Here's wilton's link to stacked construction that has some good visuals for you. http://www.wilton.com/wedding/makecake/building/dowelrod/dowel_stacked.cfm

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 4:15am
post #7 of 17

I have also heard about putting a wax paper in between the cakes. This would just be another method but, I personally like the ps.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 4:22am
post #8 of 17

Whenever I do a stacked cake, I put coconut on the top of the iced cake where the plate for the layer above it will be sitting. I always let my customers know that on a stacked cake there is coconut between the layers. Occasionally I have had them request that I use something else so then I sprinkle some powdered sugar on the crusted icing. Hope this helps!

indydebi Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 4:57am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

Whenever I do a stacked cake, I put coconut on the top of the iced cake where the plate for the layer above it will be sitting. I always let my customers know that on a stacked cake there is coconut between the layers. Occasionally I have had them request that I use something else so then I sprinkle some powdered sugar on the crusted icing. Hope this helps!

Good for you for letting the customer know! I posted on a similar thread earlier today that I HATE coconut, so I would demand a full refund on a cake that had coconut on it because I would consider it non-edible!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 10:11am
post #10 of 17

Im glad someone else doesn't like coconut, I was beginning to think I was the only left icon_sad.gif

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 10:37am
post #11 of 17

When I do stacked cakes I always put a circle of parchment paper the size of the cake board right on top of the dowl rods and then I set the cake right on top and when removed all the icing stays put. I have also used wax paper but I think parchment works a little better. icon_biggrin.gif

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 11:29pm
post #12 of 17

I used buttercream dream, and it crusted pretty well, i thought. I'll try the PS next time! Thanks!!

I hate coconut too!! YUCK!

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 11:47pm
post #13 of 17

I am sending my family to live with you guys. None of them eat coconut except my daughter in law. I love coconut and never make anything with it unless I am taking it to a pot luck or something.

Diane

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:24am
post #14 of 17

I'll be more careful next time about using the "c" word! LOL icon_rolleyes.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:43am
post #15 of 17

I would think something was very wrong with my piece of cake if I got a mouthful of coconut or - worse - granulated sugar. Powdered sugar is what I use between tiers. I do love coconut, but if I wasn't expecting it, I would think that was freaking weird. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 3:57am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

I'll be more careful next time about using the "c" word! LOL icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

azmomto3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azmomto3 Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 4:17am
post #17 of 17

Yeah I don't think I'd like to serve a cake w/ coconut on it. Although I love coconut, there's tons of people that don't. I always place a circle of wax paper the same size as the next stacked tier. Once the paper is laid, I then sprinkle some PS on that before the next tier goes down. I always let my customers know that there is wax paper there as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%