? About Sheet Cakes

Decorating By Americanhen Updated 5 Aug 2007 , 11:52pm by OhMyGoodies

Americanhen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Americanhen Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 11

I am making 2 sheet cakes to go along with a wedding cake ( half sheet), so you do 2 cakes and fill, or do you bake one cake and split and fill?

I have done either way before, and the 2 cakes makes it look really big to me, but the one sheet looks skimpy.....what to do! icon_eek.gif

10 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 11

Most people think of a sheet cake as 2" tall. Whether to tort or not is a personal preference. I'd never even heard of torting sheet cakes until I found CC (I must live in Pleasantville or something!).

A single layer 12x18 will serve 54.
A double layer 12x18 will serve 108.
So be sure you charge accordingly.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 11

If you do decide to torte them there is another thread here on CC started just the other day with a video on how to torte sheet cakes.. basically you take your leveler or knife and slice in half as you would any other cake to torte into two layers, then you would take a knife and slice down the center of the top layer only! and take a flat/no edge cookie sheet or cake board and slide the one side off, add your filling and slide it back ontop the filling, repeat for the second side. Makes it a lot easier then trying to remove and replace one huge 11x15" piece of cake lmao which I've dropped in the floor a few times lol.

Just remembered.... you could also make two layers by baking two 1" layers... bake the first one a little skimpier then normal and then bake a second one. But then you also run the risk of the second one breaking as your are placing it on top the first one so I highly recommend the above steps instead even if it is 2 seperately baked layers, you could still cut the 2nd one in half and place the left side on first then the right (either side can go first lol just put left and right so you'd understand not to cut it top and bottom icon_wink.gif)

indydebi Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 11

When I'm splitting an 11x15, 12x18 or even my 14x22, i tort it then run a cardboard between the layers. Pick up the cardboard and the top layer comes right off. Add the filling, then slide the top layer of cake right back on .... it slides right off the cardboard.

OhMyGoodies Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 11

See you are a damn magician! Mine ALWAYS sticks to the board lmfao

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 11:37pm
post #6 of 11

typically most people think of a sheet cake as 2"

However if you are serving it with the wedding cake then I would make it the same way you are doing the wedding cake. That way when it is served all of the pieces look the same. You will have 4" tall pieces on all of the plates instead of 2" and 4" Then you can fill with whatever the wedding cake is filled with too.

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 11:39pm
post #7 of 11

great tip.

indydebi Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 11:41pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGoodies

See you are a damn magician! Mine ALWAYS sticks to the board lmfao

This may sound silly, but I think it's less "sliding the cake off the board" and more of "pulling the board out from under the cake".

I line up the edges of the two cakes, then kinda 'hold' the cake in place (it's touching the filling, giving it a "stuck together" effect) and pull on the cardboard. I lift the end up a little bit, so it's at a slight angle while pulling.

OhMyGoodies Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 11:43pm
post #9 of 11

I do that too and it breaks in half icon_razz.gif you are just magic icon_razz.gif hence why I loves ya so much lol

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 11:51pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGoodies

I do that too and it breaks in half icon_razz.gif you are just magic icon_razz.gif hence why I loves ya so much lol

I just did a sheet cake and the cake was sticking to the board, so I put confectionate sugar on the board before placeing the top layer on the baord, this helped the cake to slide right off the board with no sticking or breaking.

OhMyGoodies Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 11:52pm
post #11 of 11

Sounds great! Thanks for that tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%